The African red grass that has become handsome, I hope it stays - makes it through winter.
The plants are looking autumnal these days. Summer was brief and weird- but not as weird a this guy.
Sorry the print is so tiny, click on it to embiggen.
If you have ever been a teacher and this face showed up in the back row, puzzled, not understanding that 1+1 =2 instead of eleven-you know that you have your work cut out for you. Vote Blue, we have our work cut out for us!! This human is still in second grade.
Yesterday I stopped in at the thrift store to see if I could find tiny Christmas stuff, I could not but I did take a few photos of what''s on offer.
First, the chair that I nearly bought for $6.50- Beautifully made and solid, just needs a bit of refresher. Another awesome hand carved/built chair with no where to put it, I left it.
I caught and released this little cart, thinking that it would look great at Christmas stuffed with orphans.
The doll bin was amusing but nothing that wanted to come home with me...I heard a gaggle of girls screaming "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE THEY???" I checked- they were a family of large potatoes.
This old baby with the herniated belly button, has a plug at the top so that one might store paper money in there , or secret stash- completely fooling robbers, I am sure.There were loads of foreign beauties. If I were a collector , for a few dollars, the many dolls would have made my day .
I bought nothing.
I did get my magic sleep machine and have used it for two nights. It is the Cadillac of sleep machines to be sure, and is silent and comfortable and it works beautifully. From 46 episodes an hour of apnea down to 5, the normal range for most people who sleep and don't forget to breathe. Finally! Who knows how many brain cells have been murdered over the years of oxygen deprivation . Quite a few, some might tell you.
Anyway, what a difference! Days are so much better- I do not feel like taking a nap having just awoken from taking a nap. The world is not coated in fuzz and struggle.
-0-
Map, below, from "home" shows the vast Red Desert in between my home town and Rock Springs. Driving along that expanse when you are a kid is the longest most boring drive ever and you ask your parents "WHY do we live here?"
Then someone takes you out into it with a different perspective and focus , appreciation comes upon thee.
The geology is fascinating, There are skulls to be found - human and bison. Desert Elk shed antlers found in the sage are particularly treasured.
It is BLM land and has been somewhat protected . 350 species of animals live successfully in this desert of the Big Empty, wild horses, pronghorn, elk, prairie dogs, rodents, jack rabbits and species that are not so worthy of a cuddle- insects , snakes and lizards.
BLM now considering a purchase by uranium corporation to tear up the dessert to mine 92 U. There was another uranium mine up north when we were kids. A small town was built around it, everyone died of cancer - the town has been vacated and the mines closed. Humans do not learn from history, that is a given.
Mostly concerning is the elk herd of the desert , whose meager lives will truly be threatened. Other than the occasional asshole that "hunts" out there in no mans' land- Called NO MAN for a reason!
This is the moment the guy. with a tiny penis, fired the shot.
It is a video- the herd scatters, The bull elk stands for a moment not realizing that he is a dead Daddy. Slowly he looks around at his herd and then falls.The dessert becomes chilling , shocked into dead silence.
The Orange man with his bang bang, is jubilant and grins like he has done a mighty godlike deed. The fucker takes the most magnificent creature , leaving Elk women folk and babies to fend through the winter without his lead.
Shooting fish in a barrel...
Anyway that is a whole different subject- point being that Red Desert animals have survived the harshest of environments during evolutionary magnificence only to have MAN come to their only home and tear the living shit out of it. This eco system is one of the largest rarest and most distinct on earth.
This is the link if you are curious about the Red Desert and how special it is.
News from Wyoming is generally not the most welcoming.
Not to leave you with a bad taste in your dry desert mouth I leave you with more thrift store things left behind.
And Miss Yvonne from Pee Wee's Playhouse, which I have been watching on you tube lately- The episode of Miss Yvonne, the most beautiful women in Puppetland comes to visit , one of my faves.
The actress, Lynne Marie Stewart, fabulous and did love Captain Carl too much...Still has a winning puppetland smile!

















What a super thrift store. I think I would have been quite in trouble. And also loving the mint bed for one of the raccoons. Very safe -- and fragrant, too!
ReplyDeleteBest bed and breakfast in the land!
DeleteYour Wyoming story was on my Ohio news feed. Not the tiny penis with the big gun, but the purchase by a uranium company.
ReplyDeleteFun to look at stuff in the thrift store, but none would go home with me, either. Glad to hear your CPap is spot on.
It is fun to space out in the thrift store- not buying anything is especially good- for me, anyway, fun to roam around to see what people throw out.
DeleteI'm guessing that idiot shot that beautiful animal so he could put the head and antlers up on his wall. Shame on him. Shame Shame Shame.
ReplyDeleteI like that thrift store red cart.
I went back today , bought the cart, dropped it on the way out ! It is in pieces.
Delete😢
DeleteIdiots shooting the alpha males out of such populations of deer and the like are also weakening the species, changing the way they adapt to their challenging environments. That is going to be one sweet smelling racoon at your place, and as for thrift shops! I find they are best avoided these days. We have one nearby that deals exclusively in craft materials.😉🙄😱
ReplyDeleteThrift shops ought to be avoided for sure, Like I need to cram anything more in between these walls. Wyoming mentality is dismal, counter productive and cruel. Dumbasses.
DeleteThat chair is a Hitchcock ..good find. Someone will want it!
ReplyDeleteThank you for that info- I went back today but of course it was gone, came away with a horse that does not go anywhere.
DeleteMy blood boils at the sight of that dead elk. Was it a legal shoot? I do not understand how that could be lawful.
ReplyDeleteI'm really glad your sleep machine is working. THAT at least, is such good news.
And how's this? It's looking like our next renter at our little strip mall we own might be a church thrift shop. What?! They're Methodists, so not too weird. I mean, plain old white-bread weird.
A shurch thrift shop, PTL. They will try like hell to get you into heaven!!
DeleteVery sad about the dead elk, that picture will stay with me.
ReplyDeleteTigger's Mum is right about the sweet smelling raccoon. Our indoor rabbit ( lived 8 years) was named Minty and we used to give her treats of fresh mint which she ate from the bottom of the stalk upwards , leaves pointing up just like the spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp! She used to smell lovely afterwards.
Also very glad about the new CPAP , up to now I had heard only negative things.
JanF
A sweet smelling raccoon, now there is a thought- they do smell like the wild animals that they are! I only have the most glowing things to say about this Cap machine! I can hardly wait to go to sleep tonight just so I can use it!
DeleteSo much good stuff here! I will jsut isolate the BEST NEWS:
ReplyDelete"The world is not coated in fuzz and struggle."
Maybe JD Vance needs a sleep machine???
Maybe he does. But I do think he needs more than that.
DeleteI'm going to not think about that majestic dead elk.
ReplyDeleteBut I'm so happy to hear of your sleep machine success! So great that's at thing!
I swear, every time I read the Wyoming news It is always grim and makes me feel sick, not homesick.
DeleteThe thrift store looks like it is well stocked and a fun place to visit. I do not like trophy hunting. It is horrific.
ReplyDeleteHunting in general is pretty much bullshit.
DeleteI just cannot wrap my head around jackasses like that guy that shot the Elk. For what? Did it make him feel like a real man? What a waste of a beautiful animal. Good news on the CPAP machine, anything that helps us older people sleep is a good thing!
ReplyDeleteAs for these jackasses that hunt majestic animals like that Elk, I. Just. Can't. What a horrific waste and for what? So the dude with the tiny penis feels better now. Next time he tries it may he be trampled by a herd of that Elk's relatives. Good news on the CPAP machine, anything that helps us old people sleep is a good thing. :)
ReplyDeleteAnyone that hunts should be made to eat what they kill right there on the spot- all of it...that might put a damper on murder.
DeleteI m all for gadgets that prevent heart attacks and strokes- I hear that those two things are not particularly conducive to happy days. Cpap machine is bailing me out , for a while...
Oh, yeah, I remember Miss Yvonne! I loved that show. You really do have the most amazing thrift shopping out your way. In Florida all I ever see are Target or Wal-Mart cast-offs. Here in London we have better charity shops, but I still think yours are the best!
ReplyDeleteI do not get hunting. At all.
When Sarah and Andy came for a week we hit the shops and Sarah took home a great quantity of loot! You don't need shops, the streets provide all sorts - for free!!! lucky YOU!
Deleteone summer when Jade came for her week she had a project to do. her brother was a thief and kept stealing her money so we found a thrift store teddy bear and a mason jar. took the stuffing out of the bear and replaced it with the mason jar bank, closed up the back again with velcro and fooled the brother who would never think to look in a teddy bear for his sister's money.
ReplyDeletetrophy hunters are the scourge of the earth. think they are big potent men for killing a magnificent beast from a far distance with a high powered rifle. cowards all.
Brilliant hiding technique! Wish i had thought of that when i was a girl- my brother was fond of taking money, too.
DeleteWhat a pity these hunters could not have penis extensions. That might hurt, though - much easier to shoot a magnificent beast and have a photograph taken with the corpse. Disgusting!
ReplyDeleteI think that those tiny peni's should be hunted and shot.
Delete