Met the fam in La Conner today for a nosh and a beer and a cider and a walk around. Keeka will be leaving again in a week - for three months in South America- a sort of work /study trip in three countries. Girl gets around! All of the grand children made it- only two children missing. The temperature of the day was too warm and I wore too many clothes, all black, of course because I do not do summer wear...
I did stop and ask Zoltar my fortune for a dollar-
Thus Zoltar has spoken.
The siblings snoozing in the morning sunshine , waiting for the human to say "good morning - here is an egg and some cat kibble" . I drank my cuppa with them while playing with my hair, what is left of it... I drove out to Drayton Harbor to get a "hair balancing" on Friday. Here is what that entails if you do not know-
Hair balancing is not styling , it is a study of your hair, the whorls, direction of growth and the health of the hair., and then cutting each hair the way it wants to be naturally. The cuts last a year and my hair is so happy about it BUt it is not styled and so does not look like anything cool or wow-some. It took all day. The artist does not use product other than coconut oil soap and aloe . She is pretty amazing and has stories that make you consider that this world is good and kind and intuitive, and , possibly , that there is more to this LIFE on earth thing than we are lead to believe.
Anyway a fist full of dollars and hours later my hair , four inches shorter , is healthy and growing loads of new baby hairs all over.
This is the waiting area- like stepping into a glass of merlot.
This is her front yard pretty much, she owns acres of land, forested, cultivated and gardened. It is beautiful- birds are abundant, and honey bees ! She has a fountain set up for the bees, which was swarming with them as we stood out in the sunshine waiting for the aloe in my hair to dry. The bees are as gentle as new born kittens.
On the way home I stopped at Boomer's to get a fish sandwich and another paper car.
Maple claimed it and took the Queen of France and Pierrot out for a spin. Pierrot got car sick and wanted to leap out but could not because- no arms, no legs. Human to the rescue- put him back in his bowl on top of the piano. Maple and the Queen Of France carried on down the road.
I went to the dollar store to get some sticky tape, after Boomer's, and these plates were at the entrance . Because my eyes do not see normally these plates were like hypnosis wheels, spinning ,mesmerizing. "WOW", I thought, "how do they do that, what magic is this?" Of course YOU see normal plates but what I see is far more interesting. Looking at them makes me sea sick, a bit dizzy and nauseous . I had to have them!
So that has been the labor day week end here. A swell time was had by all. Monday is Dennis's thirteenth anniversary of diabetes- we will celebrate with a glass of water.
Elephant ride in front of Zoltar's booth.
Dogs on the street-
















If I had someone study my hair and cut it the way it wants to be, it would be short all over so the curls could range free. I prefer it long so I can tie it out of the way and not have to be going back to the hairdresser three times a year.
ReplyDeleteWhy do you not do summer wear? Pretty spring colours would look lovely on you.
I like the new car.
Our climate is pretty much winter all the time, investing in summer wear is futile. I understand about length of hair and how easy it can be to tie up - I have done that all summer and it is a no brainer - comfortable!
DeleteLove your racoons, they look sooooo happy. Zoltar seems to spit out sensible (even if open to alternative interpretations) suggestions for life. Not sure about fortune. The hair treatment? My barnet gets cut about once every 6 weeks, so once a year, even if expensive might work out cheaper and I could treat the whole day out like a holiday (or spa day).
ReplyDeleteI agree it is great to not have to have a haircut every few weeks! The expense is cheaper in the long run and it is a most pleasant experience, time spent with the artist in her beautiful environment. A bit of a drive but I can still mange it! Zoltar will only give a dollar's worth of "fortune", so expectation is low...
DeleteI cut my own hair so there is no styling or balancing. Just buzzing it to a "pixie cut" (I don't think they use that term anymore) that I think looks like Jamie Lee Curtis (but probably really isn't)! Works for me.
ReplyDeleteWill you take Zoltar's advice?
I am not sure Zoltar is trustworthy but ,his advice may be more sound than I would have expected for a buck. You probably have good hair so cutting it yourself works, my hair is awful.
DeleteIt looks like a great holiday. Never heard of hair balancing. Interesting. And so are those plates. I would have to have them, too!
ReplyDeleteThe plates really make me feel like I am on a fast moving merry go round , Glad you could appreciate them as well.
DeleteFamily is great- All of them entertaining, bright and funny , love them!!
Zoltar sounds more like a therapist than a Fortune Teller. What happened to, "You will meet a dark and handsome stranger"?
ReplyDeleteThose plates are pretty trippy.
Oh gosh- the elephant ride! What has happened to those? And the little pony rides? My god but I loved those and my kids did too.
Thanks for the sweet and cheerful and funny post. Enjoy your glass of water!
Zoltar is a great therapist- the right price too. Though he missed the mark a little on the "finding something in your city that might be an adventure" there is no such thing in Bellingham.
DeleteI love the elephant! I would have it in my house to live with it and love it always if only I could lift it from its mooring.
Cheers, H2O! Stayin' alive!
Oh my...so many fun things to comment upon! It does please my heart to hear you saw so many of your family. And the glass of water is definitely worth making a toast about, with our without diabetes! We all need to drink twice as much as we think we do...water that is. I make myself have a glass before I can even have morning coffee. Love the twins. At least they aren't trying to get into your attic and have babies!
ReplyDeleteIt was a perfect day The twins always make mornings seem calm and peaceful, too. Our house has only been invaded by those damned starlings, the raccoons have better places to set up housekeeping...
Deletere Marie's quote, I read once that there is nothing evil, that what we call evil is just something we don't understand. the hair balancing sounds interesting though I don't think I could stand to take all day to do it. I'm happy enough when I find someone who cuts my hair with it instead of against it trying to make it lay against its nature. which reminds me, I need a haircut. of course I've spent my life trying to get it to grow away from my face when it wants to grow forward in my face. I hate having hair in my face.
ReplyDeleteNot so sure about "understanding" evil...How is that even a thing??? I do not know, even god himself does not understand evil, he smites, and roasts folks for ETERNITY! that is the rumor anyway...he's a creep that way.
Deleteit's not that we don't understand evil but that we call something evil because we don't understand it. that aside I think there are truly evil people out there that do not need understanding.
DeleteSounds like a nice time with family. What will be your two adventurous Zoltar things this month?
ReplyDeleteadventure in Bellingham, hmmmm- that is a challenge. Maybe a walk to the bay.
DeleteLove the dogs! Actually, those plates DO seem to sort of spin, shimmer and vibrate -- so it's not just your eyes. It's an op-art effect. Good purchase!
ReplyDeleteGood to know that the plates do that for you as well! They seem active but I thought it was just my wonky vision. There were so many dogs in town- like two or three per person!
DeleteLove the dogs, especially the smiling ones. The elephant ride is also cool. Keeka is a traveler, here's hoping for a good educational experience. Is she the one that re-did the travel trailer?
ReplyDeleteYes, she is the gal with the little trailer which is parked at her grandmother's house until Keeka comes back to finish it. It is so cute!
DeleteYour clan get together sounds fabulous. Keeka and the Porsche photo nicely. The fortune was really ok and maybe the big adventure comes when you are on holiday. The plates have lots of movement to them. They remind me of stone slabs that look like flowing riverbeds. Mesmerizing. Hair balancing sounds very beneficial and a lovely treatment. Happy dogs are always nice to meet and greet.
ReplyDeleteactually the dogs made the day!
DeleteI collected a lot of those cardboard cars but gave them away to a "car person" a couple of years ago. I used to fill them with a bag of treats and give them out to the children we knew!
ReplyDeleteJohn ( husband) liked them because he remembered the original cars from the 50's! I expect Dennis does too! JanF
Such a great idea for the Boomer cars!
Delete'the cuts last a year' made me giggle so much.
ReplyDeleteAre you taking Zoltan's advice? The dizzying plates are too much. I can get dizzy quite well enough on my own.
Slow growing hair! Zoltar is wrong about the buyer of the fortune dragging around sadness- Zoltar is projecting! also wrong about finding adventure in one's own city- Unless taking chances parking downtown is an adventure...
Delete