The two days of rain leveled the flowers pretty well. All are horizontal at the moment, except for the sunflowers by the garage. If the sun comes out for ten minutes they stand up and shout. Sunflowers are so amazing, towing over our heads looking down at us like bosses.
The reddish brown sunflowers are called "chocolate". They are smaller than the monster yellow ones that Dennis is more fond of. He is pretty sure that bigger is better- the monster sunflower does have it's issues. like being top heavy, falling over too soon and being unattractive. Rabbit is grateful!
Best flower in the garden celebrated her third birthday. My lord she has grown so much this summer- look at how tall she has grown.
I gave her stainless pots and pans child sized , her Grandmother got her a broom, her auntie got her a vacuum , battery powered that makes the appropriate god awful noise. Flora is ready for her own apartment... she even got transportation- a hobby horse (unicorn- pink) that will take her where she needs to go.
-0-
Today the Gudrun catalogue came. Beautiful clothing, beautiful photos of the clothing in beautiful surroundings. Is there a more beautiful catalogue, I don't think so.
The older model has been in every catalogue since I have been buyng Gudrun clothing which it to say - a very long time. I keep thinking that this season will be the last for her, I said that 30 years ago! Yet she is still modeling and still as lovely as ever.
The photographer is such an artist! This is the way to show clothing, I fall for it every time- but these models are about seven feet tall and thin and gorgeous- I am always a bit disheartened when I buy something and just don't quite do it justice. Round short squatty body baggy knees and four chins somehow do not look quite as stunning as these...Also there is no corner in this house, for a pose, remotely as cool as Sweden.Painterly!
See what I mean- all of that layering- One must be super tall and narrow to pull that off nicely!
Yeah...so, I ordered something.... denial, slow learner.
Stella came by this afternoon and took us out for lunch and to sign a rental agreement for us to stay in the boy's condo in Palm Springs in October. We exchanged monies for stay and flights - already getting packed....in our heads. We will be gone for only one week but we are so used to taking bigger longer trips that we are conditioned to organize well in advance. A week is but a blip.
(Milli looking out at the traffic below)
Now leasing in case you want to start a business in the best part of town...I especially love the street, a patchwork of history, trolley tracks, old roadway, new tar, cement.
The colors please me. Stella reckons yellow is horrid...because she is Finnish and Finns do not like yellow. I learn many things from our Stella, most of them astonishing....anyway, This building gets an A+ from me. It's cute. Another sunflower that got started late in the season. It will become compost before it has proper seeds.
Strange strange summer this year.


















I love the blue and yellow on the building, how could I not with my Swedish heritage? Why do Finns hate yellow? Those clothes are beautiful and if I were more girly and could lose 60 pounds I might consider buying, but Maybe I am too short as well. I am only five feet tall.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Flora, three is a great age.
The blue and yellow on red brick is most pleasing- it's a soft pallet and I love it, also I love the design of the building. Looks like something I might find in
DeleteBergen.Yellow pleases me as well.
Short women can not wear Gudrun very well, though theri tunics hit me just right as a dress.I usually like the fabric and the patterns.
I'd forgotten about tunics. I'll have to look into that.
DeleteRaccoons are gorgeous animals and I enjoy seeing them in the neighbourhood. One took up residence in the attic, however, and it was expensive to have it removed. Outside is great, inside not so much!
ReplyDeleteRaccoons are fascinating little monkeys, most clever and innovative. We have to protect our house spaces like fortresses to keep the raccoons from setting up homes. On the deck they are lovely- the same family has been coming here for years.
DeleteI knew a man who did not like yellow flowers. "I cannot abide a yellow flower," he said. Maybe he was Finnish.
ReplyDeleteThe Gudrun clothes are beautiful but would not do for Florida. Or for short fat old ladies. That Aland dress though- what a perfect get-up. I see Frida, I see Seminoles. I see a pretty, pretty dream.
Happy birthday to Flora. Yes. She needs to start saving for her own apartment. She should definitely be ready by her fourth birthday.
Yes, I reckon that Flora will have her own apartment by then! She is so smart! She will be so successful in this world!
DeleteThe phtographs of fashion in the catalogue are just stunning! Every one is worthy of being kept- printed on good quaility paper recycled and earth friendly.
It is a pretty good company.
Did you make Flora's crown? It's gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteStrange summer indeed, I generally pick enough blackberries to freeze for the entire year but this year hardly any ripened. JanF
Emily made the crown, she makes one for every birthday and they are fabulous!! She has many talents !- making beautiful children being one!!
DeleteThe fruit this year is sad, A hand full of plums, tomato,five squash- Remember it rained until mid July? So no wonder.
Beautiful clothes. I almost wanted to get on their mailing list. Almost. Let's be realistic though! So glad that Flora is almost grown up. The world is just waiting for her, and her sisters!
ReplyDeleteFlora's generation, the covid babies, are so adept- Solid and secure for the most part. It may be that covid held the family unit close , who knows.
DeleteWe could use some of your rain here! Your flowers are lovely!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Flora! May her life be filled with lots of love and happy adventures!
Wish we could share the moisture! The rain has gone today and all is washed and bright!
Deleteyellow is not my favorite color, not at the bottom, that would be orange, but I like it on flowers and on the building mostly because it goes well with the blue. glad to see some color used in a building. America is so dull when it comes to buildings. and Flora's birthday hat is fabulous.
ReplyDeleteI love all colors, yellow is a fve for painting life into watercolours. Emily made Flora's birthday crown, She has made three, one fro each birthday, Clever Mom!
DeleteYeah -- when I layer like that, I don't fit through the door. It looks fantastic on those models though. And you're right -- a glorious catalogue.
ReplyDeleteI know of few women who can carry off this layering thing...Fashion is not for my body type. Getting through the door would indeed be a challenge - not graceful!
DeleteThat's a lovely building. I am so tired on steel and glass, no real style, just boxes, really. Stella really has grown, she'll be in college by next week. The Gudrun clothes are beautiful, but where would a person wear such a dress? I don't own a dress, or a skirt, those days are over.
ReplyDeleteI love their tunics with leggings. Maybe Bellingham is more fashion frindly than Spokane or Arizona. In between Seattle and Vancouver where women still dress according to their whims.
DeleteI know that you meant "Flora" but that Stella misname did make me laugh.
I like the chocolate sunflowers, and I like that building as well. Palm Springs in October -- yay! It's always good to have an excursion to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to Palm Springs- one week is not long enough but we will appreciate the tie we have.
DeleteThe building is more cheerful that the usual pieces of shite built in this town.
Yellow sunflowers are cheerful. Keeping them standing tall has been my challenge. I've never seen a chocolate sunflower. It is beautiful and looks more compact.
ReplyDeleteI also like the new yellow building. It looks clad in steel siding.
Flora looks delighted with her B-day celebration.
The clothing in the Gudrun catalog is breathtaking. I've placed my order. Thanks!
I am not sure I like the dark sunflowers- they are autumnal and do not cheer me up.
DeleteI have not ordered anything from Gudrun for about two months...What I did order fit nicely and well. Shirts that are a bit long. but perfect for wearing with leggings. Cotton fabric is best.
A raccoon will sell you his/her soul for an egg. Their favorite!!
ReplyDeleteI have loads of raccoon souls in the bank!
DeleteRaccoons have such arresting faces. How lovely to have them visiting so regularly and practically living with you.
ReplyDeleteThe Gudrun catalogue is unfamiliar to me but I can see how receiving it would lighten the spirits.
Flora's expression in the second photograph of her is a delight. What a sweet face. Her next year will bring so much change.
Raccons are beautiful animals, little wonder they were a favorite fur. Gurdrun is the first shop I hit while in London, but their inventory is small.
DeleteFlora will change so much this year! First year of school, though I say school I mean playtime that costs a lot of money in an atmosphere of other children.
This entire post is a feast for my eyes.
ReplyDelete