It is trying so hard! How cute the babies are!
I did not have much hope that it would bounce back but there you go- bouncing babies!
The little girls next door are back from their holiday, They brought this bouquet over yesterday when I was at Flora's .
By flora's house this nasty hedge grows with the lovely blue flowers poking through. Not sure if the hedge is cypress,cedar or juniper . We used to have them bordering our yard when we moved in. They smell like a kitty litter box and if you fall in them while catching a ball you will get poked and itchy. We replaced them with a rock wall.
-0-
School starts next week already! I have never been thrilled at that turn of the calendar. School dread! Long dark clammy days.
The squash blossom boys are still blooming and parading across the deck, for scale this is how large and grand their faces are!
I unearthed my mother's charm bracelet the other day, wondering what to do with it, deciding again, to just keep it with her ashes in the ginger jar.
Most of the charms are obvious- a Kenedy half dollar the year he was murdered. A ruby anniversary- a heart of tiger's eye that my Dad made , abacus because my mother was fond of math and keeping finances balanced, Black hills gold, Maple leaf, Canada, race car, German stein. But I could not figure out why the charm dated 1896-1996. Could be for the year that Elizabeth Cady Stanton testified in congress, women's rights and abolition, The first female to do so.
Could be to represent the first periodic table of elements presented by Dimitri Mendeleev- My new favorite on the table is Copper (cu) Niton (nt) which is something one might use to describe Ann Coulter, if one were to be polite/impolite.
But really I am pretty sure it was to commemorate the driving of the Golden Spike joining the Central Pacific Railroad with the Union Pacific RR. My Dad's grandfather was there and we were a railroad family in a Union Pacific town. We loved trains, still do. Our lives were governed by the crew schedule of the U.P.R.R. Trains are some of my best memories and bear a strong connection to my Dad and Grandfathers.
Mom drove us out of town a little way to where the train had stopped, to board the caboose and to experience where my
Dad worked. A most vivid memory, the smell , the horse hair /leather cushions, the colors of deep red and black, the darkness, the pot stove in the middle, the tiny table where the conductors played gin rummy on the run from Rawlins to Green River. I was Flora's age- three.
Charm bracelets date back to the Neolithic period- and were thought to ward off evil. Served as talismans . In the 1950's they became a craze, everyone's mother had one, little girls had dime store bracelets with poodles , ballerinas, cowboys and horses and musical notes on them. You may have had one. Anyway, the charms meant something to my mother , I will keep them and let the kids decide after I am dead what to do with them.
Today I went in for another eye jab which takes all day really and then driving home slowly half blinded- laying on the sofa to recover. It is now night time and I can finally open my eye, It can see! It is still most miraculous!
Questions asked- do you have floaters?
Ans- "Always"
Have you experienced flashing lights?
Ans- not really , I have not been pulled over for a long time....
HAHA
Question- are you allergic to any drugs?
Ans- Not that I know of, I have not tried them all.
Question- would you like to?
Ans- Oh yes please.
HAHA
And when the injection was doing its lava lamp blubs in my eye, the doctor said now all you need is acid.
HAHA.
This is the desk where you pay your copay and pick up the sunglasses that will get you home, maybe, without wrecking your car.
The Doctor is taking his staff out on the whale watching boat for an office outing. Cool dude- great eye place! Saved my bacon!
I wondered what the DNC was going to do with all of the money we donated to the campaign- clearly spent it on gigantic balloons!







The charm bracelet is beautiful, even without the charms, the chain is lovely. I have one that was my mother's but a dull metal, maybe pewter or silver. I should find it and take a photo.
ReplyDeleteI think the hedge is cypress. The yellow flower in the bouquet from the girls is pretty. The squash flower too.
Cypress yes, probably, Not a great idea to have as a hedge though protects the border because everyone hates it!
DeleteIt's me, River, why am I suddenly anonymous?
DeleteThe squash flower is enormous and a slightly brighter yellow than the hypericum, or maybe it's just the light.
ReplyDeleteYes, school's back pretty soon, and the roads will be awash with tiny children in school uniforms too large for them but bought 'to last.'
The blossoms are SO BRIGHT! They do not look real and they last only one day before another pops out!
DeleteThe charm bracelet is like these unlabelled family photos I'm currently trying to decipher - will mean nothing to you children without the stories it represents being told. Let your grandchildren handle it and tell them often, and in colour, stories about your mum and dad, and your early life.
ReplyDeleteI probably ought to put notes on stuff from my parents and grandparents but in our family I do not think anyone is very interested.
DeleteI love that bracelet. I am (sorry) charmed by charm bracelets. I have one and I never wear it and I should because it's cool. But it's silver, not gold.
ReplyDeleteI still think you should fry some of those squash blossoms. There are a million recipes online, some stuffed with ricotta.
That desk might drive me around the bend if I had just been experiencing visual discos. Whoa! I have a friend who works as a surgical tech and one of the doctors at the hospital where she works takes his favorites all the way to Canada where they hang out in the beautiful wilderness and fish and get fed good food and have a fabulous time.
Charmed by the charms- yes indeed. Little mini things made of gold that symbolize special events in one's life is pretty great to pass on to children. I am sure that yours will be treasured.
DeleteI will look up recipes today- so many boy blossoms out there now!
A previous neighbour here had all the charms from her charm bracelet ( which may have been inherited) transferred to a longer chain as a necklace . She found that she was able to wear it often. I particularly love the little abacus on yours, it is very unique. JanF
ReplyDeleteHello Jan, that would be a good idea to make a neklace that could actually be worn. I find that trying to wear the bracelet is annoying.
DeleteI remember charm bracelets. Obviously I never had one (kind of wanted one, though) but I remember my friends had them.
ReplyDeleteJust FYI, I think the link to your schefflera post is to the draft version which we can't see. But I searched "schefflera" and then sorted by date and got it right away. (And then remembered reading it the first time!)
Oh oops, thank you for sussing that out. Amazing how much it wants to live and get too large again!
DeleteI have a charm bracelet somewhere. and a story which I've been thinking about posting. not as good as your story about your mother's charm bracelet but it is about my mother's.
ReplyDeleteall Mom stories are good, I reckon. Charms tell stories, personal events that had meaning I suppose.
DeleteI have 2 charm bracelets - one silver and one gold as I couldn't fit all of the charms on one. Now that you have mentioned your Mom's, I think I have to write a little note about what each charm means so when I pass it on to my daughter, she will know the history...
ReplyDeleteI always wore them together but haven't worn them for many years...
How lucky for yu! one silver and one gold- ,ake new friends and keep the old- I am sure your charms are interesting!
DeleteCharm bracelets are nostalgic and each charm has a story. They are family heirlooms. My charm bracelet was given to me by my godmother and she filled it with gold charms based on my interests. Lovely woman, my godmother.
ReplyDeleteYour schefflera is recovering nicely and the new growth is impressive.
The little bouquet from the little girls next door is sweet. They must share your interest in flowers and want to be in touch with you.
Continued success with the eye treatment is outstanding. I am happy for you!
Charm bracelets are journals of little sculptures representing a time of importance. They are fascinating and really do not take up much space, passing them on is the thing to do.
DeleteWhat IS it about school starting in August. It just seems wrong. Call me old school but it should be after Labor Day. I still have my charm bracelet. Still wear it sometimes. So glad the eye jab is helpful!
ReplyDeleteschool starting so early is wrong! And continuing through mid summer also wrong! More does not mean better that is for sure. I bet your bracelet is amusing!
DeleteI may or may not have had a charm bracelet. I probably lost it, like most of my jewelry. I think some girls had them for places they visited as they traveled. I loved hearing your memory as a 3 year old in the caboose. Precious!
ReplyDeleteI am not a jewelry gal either. I wear a watch.
DeleteIt is remarkable how much we remember, well most of us anyway. My memories go way back to diaper days and in the crib days.
I'll take mystery charms for $500 please, Alex!
ReplyDeleteThat is a P.E.O. commemorative charm if I ever saw one. You've mentioned your mom was a "sis". P.E.O. was founded in 1869. There was likely a bash... and rash of commemorative baubles in 1969.
We used to have junipers in our front yard. Ripped them out soon after buying the place. I don't miss them, sneezy and itchy as they made me. But they never had pretty blue flowers
Found this tidbit:
Deletehttps://www.facebook.com/peointernational/posts/did-you-know-that-a-peo-centennial-charm-went-to-the-moon-on-apollo-11-in-1969-b/1669689639819636/
Great charm spotting! Your five hundred is in the mail! Yes, A P.E.O. charm that went to the moon! Thank you for sussing that out, A. B, P.E.O. meant so much to my mom.
DeleteAs lovely as it is, that bracelet would drive me crazy. I have never been able to wear anything on my wrist other than a watch, and even that has gone by the wayside now that I'm old. When we were in France we ate squash blossoms stuffed with ricotta, rolled in bread crumbs and then pan fried. It was wonderful, so good. Your renewed eye sight sounds like a miracle of the eye ball, so happy for you.
ReplyDeleteWell the eye jab is good for only so l long but what a miracle to see again! Whew,
DeleteThe recipe sounds great, I may have to gather the boy blossoms tomorrow. I don[t wear jewelry- - it gets in the way!
I hated those bushes that smelled like dog pee. I encountered them most often as hedges around city parks where I might be doing a show. I didn't like being near them and smelling them whenever people brushed against them.
ReplyDeleteThey are NASTY! And unfriendly- not sure why anyone plants them intentionally!
DeleteIt's a P.E.O. commemorative charm. Don't know if my earlier comment got lost on your end? Eye jab and all...
ReplyDeletecomment NOT hidden, I replied, I say thank you A. B.
Delete