Although there is a "new" bike in the yard where my friend has a tiny apple orchard and a prehistoric mystery plant that comes up, on its own, in a different location in the yard every year. And every year she exclaims "What the fuck is that?"
The trans and LBGQ with all of the other initials- are also well represented through the neighborhood. Banners and flags, signs and memorials have sprouted in yards.
As usual spring has a difficult labor. It was winter the night before, freezing , rain, frost, and wind, shaking things up and off of the branches.
Petal confetti.
The path leading to town took me right into the middle of a celebration on the street. A street party -beer and wine, dancing, dogs, and music. I have not seen this many people in Fairhaven for , what is it now, three years? Immunity is up but the virus keeps mutating and folks are still becoming ill from it. Nothing like the old days though- the existential terror has no power over us.Thank you Dr. Fauci and all of the geniuses behind the jab.
There were more dogs in tow than people at the street party. I love this one especially, and at first thought it to be a
Brittany spaniel. She is an English setter. Lovely breed. The only thing about both Brittany and Setter is that they need at least an hour (longer preferably) a day of outdoor running/play/bird chasing exercise. They are curious and get bored, so if the human is not up to intense exercise, the dog will find a way to take the house down.
Walking along- J/J/ Donovan has acquired a new hat. A really nice one! Hand knit out of the softest wool ever. It looks newly made and was tempting to take - I did not, but the thought occurred.
J.J. Donovan built RR access to get coal for another county to Bellingham or visa versa. It is a pleasant enough statue. I like that he is holding a letter to his wife.
_The statue includes a replica of an actual letter from J.J. Donovan to his wife Clara. In the letter, J.J. is describing the four towns on Bellingham Bay: Fairhaven, Bellingham, Sehome and Whatcom. The town of Bellingham would soon become part of Fairhaven later that year. In 1904 a City of Bellingham would be formed when Fairhaven and Whatcom were consolidated._
There are three statues sitting around Fairhaven, and a large mural that takes up the entire side of a building, the artist painted himself into the mural at street level. Startlingly real!
A good portion of the mural is painted as a white screen where, in the summer, people sit on the green and watch movies for free.
I lived in Fairhaven well before gentrification and so preferred the old Fairhaven!It is an entirely different place now, with money and glitz, way too many tourists and now GD parking meters!! That is the final straw!
The phone box in dire need of attention and repair, still stands where it has always been. I think it is now just a pee box. It used to have a pay phone in it that functioned well and could call 911 if needed. One day we were having lunch outside on the grass , one of the little kids went into the box and damned if she did not call 911 repeatedly. After that they took the phone out and it became the pee box it is now. I would love to rescue it, put it in the garden for the raccoons.
Walking on, by the bay. Geese have come to boss around the ducks and gulls,and to leave massive poos on the silt.
But aren't they cute?
Already petals are falling downhill into the ditch. Seems that the flowers are so brief- their only purpose is to decorate the ditch.
Delicate little fairy boats.
By the time I got back into the kitchen the sky was as pink as Maggie's blossoms. Gorgeous above our blossoming plum. The plum was a birthday present for Erik when he was 8 years old. He will be 36 in a few days!















What a lovely walk!
ReplyDeleteI took a picture of your picture of the mystery plant with my plant ID app- could it be a weeping forsythia?
Maggie's blossoms are definitely camellia japonicas.
Looks like J.J. Donovan was quite a character.
Thank you for taking us to town today.
The plant you identified is exactly that ,but the plant that comes up wherever looking very primeval has not yet shown itself, it will soon. I do like Mr. Donovan's hat, a lot!
DeleteGreat stretch from a sweet soft cap to the geese and their leavings (as well as a phone box full of pee)...to gorgeous camelias and sunset. I'll take the camelias, thank you very much!
ReplyDeleteCamelias are dramatic, first pinks of springtime but they go away so quickly, Blink and you will miss them!
DeleteA nice walk, indeed. Complete with a little festival going on. My town can match you on the goose poo anyway.
ReplyDeleteThe geese are champion pooers! It does get gross after the intial thrill of seeing them in the spring. They stick around and make goo poo
DeleteSuch a lovely walk you shared with us, Linda. Spring is so beautiful and filled with music from birds and people. Love that sunset at the end of a wonderful day.
ReplyDeletePink is the color of the day!! Birds singing, dogs barking, it is so peaceful.
DeleteThank you for the guided tour walk into B'Ham. I miss the old Fairhaven too.
ReplyDeleteIt was so perfect when I first moved here, before the everything fancy took hold!
DeleteLovely walk. When I worked in Bellevue, the sidewalks to the buildings were covered in goose poop. It was sort of gross to walk through it and then into work. Glad you saw the sun today.
ReplyDeleteIf we could fuel our automobiles with goose poop I would welcome it!
DeleteStreet parties are something we don't see here. I remember a few "lawn gatherings" from childhood when not everyone had a television and someone who had one would drag it out to the front porch when something important was going to be broadcast and neighbours would bring chairs, drinks and snacks and gather on the lawn.
ReplyDeleteahhh the olden days! Only one of our neighbors had a television when i was about ten years old or so. We would all go over to watched the new Black and white, Disney program. Disney in B/W was cool but when color came to TV , that was true magic!!
DeleteI want a picture of the prehistoric mystery plant! We have several plants like that, too. As for the phone box, as you know, it's very authentic for a UK phone box to become a pee box.
ReplyDeletepee box, keeping it real! I will try to get a photo of the crazy plant for you, no guarantees, it can be illusive, and then all of a sudden there it is!
Deletenice walk. I did not realize that Bellingham is just a section of a larger conglomerate of little towns. camellias in the spring! they are fall/winter flowers down here.
ReplyDeleteIt is about a four mile walk into Belllingham from here, another mile in the opposite direction to the village of Chuckanut, so yeah, little towns glomed together to make it all "Bellingham".
DeleteFirst of all, I love the phone box! And appreciated the walk. A friend has kids who live in Bham and so does my former boss but I don't really know much about the town so it's fun to see it. especially the music!
ReplyDeleteThere's a chance I'll be in your hood (June, maybe) on my way to Alaska. If that phonebooth is still there I'll help carry it to your backyard.
ReplyDeleteWill the neighbors keep mum?