My Blog List

Thursday, March 9, 2023

taking photos in the quilt museum

 Some of the quilts/wall hangings  that made us crawl, clinging to the rail! Feeling dizzy and ill after viewing too  many of these beautifully made quilts of urp up chuck. That is me looking like I am about ready to toss cookies in the gift shop before exiting. I didn't, nor did Stella, but we felt like it.
 

Stella gets up close to see the tiny stitches and to gather her wits . Up close the works do not seem so whirly. Overall it was just too much!  wall after wall of bright busy zaggy work.

SEE what I mean?? This quilt thankfully was broken up by the doorway, it really is a crazy thing and throws you right off balance!



The narrow hallway also helps keep the viewer on their feet while looking at the wonky , off putting, piece. If you fall over the wall catches you. Thoughtful placement!
These last  ones are safe enough,  a close up of the tiny stitching in a quilt made in the 1800's. The florals and soft colors were a welcome reprieve ! Vintage warmth of  hand stitched comfort, familiarity, nothing glaring back at you, felt nurturing.


We had to linger on the porch outside for a bit to get over the dizziness.Snow drops in the garden.
I will post photos of Salley Mavor's work in another post . Too many photos for this one. Besides I would not put Salley's work on the same page as the up chuck quilts or the vintage quilts. Salley is in a league of her own!


ahhhh, that's better.....that's a quilt I could wrap around myself , feel the love  - a wellness quilt burrito, a sort of back to the womb-Mama- loves -you feel.

16 comments:

  1. Those first few quilts are not at all what I expected and certainly wouldn't buy even if I could afford them. I agree with you about the last one though, wrap myself like a burrito, switch on the TV and just soak in the warmth and good feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! They do look a bit like op-art. That stitching on the antique one is so precise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stitching is incredible, back in the day when time was ...longer? there was more of it?

      Delete
  3. Phew. I can see exactly what you mean about becoming unbalanced and nauseous from looking at those first quilts. Even seeing the pictures of them here is a trifle dizzying and not in a good way. But oh! That last quilt! Call me old fashioned but to my eyes it is sweet perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree- the old quilts *sigh*. Even the quality of the cotton and the batting are superior.

      Delete
  4. These are great and beautifully made but I see what you mean -- too many of those and yes, upchucking is an option. Very optical and a little is OK but wow -- that's a ton! Still, well worth the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing stitchery! But makes me wonder how any of them were finished. Don't have the patience and focus to follow through on patterns that repeat and repeat. Just don't. My favorite was the flowers and dirt. Snow is almost 3 feet deep on the level and it's still snowing. BIG case of cabin fever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW your weather!!! Too much , enough!! Repetition is never any fun, that is why I like felting so much, too, it is flowing and organic and one never knows what may result.

      Delete
  6. The two older quilts are just beautiful. I have to admire the precision of the up-chucking quilts, but I don't like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I admire the workwomanship of the vertigo quilts but I could not look at them for very long . ICK.

      Delete
  7. thank you for the photos of the quilts. the op art ones are a little much for me. i prefer the old stuff and they are generally much more cozy and have wrap-up-in ones.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree, Kirsten. I have a couple of older quilts all cottony worn softness that are such a comfort.

      Delete
  8. I’m in love with that last quilt. Seems like a fun day full of eye candy, even if some of it is vertigo inducing.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did get an eyeful- and then ice cream, nothing could be better!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you said the quality of the cotton and batting were superior. Even when women used feed sacking for quilts, the cotton was superior to the imported cottons available today. Hard to believe that in Egypt and India, lands that invented cotton, we cannot find good fabric to purchase.

    ReplyDelete