A beautiful day to go out with our Stella.
We went south to LaConnor to the quilt museum to see Salley Mavor's exhibit and to have a day out in the sunshine. I also left some old wall sconces at the antique light shop for his to do whatever with. They were removed from Dennis's office long ago to make room for better lighting in that old "office" house built in the late 1800's. Great, that is one box of stuff gone.
View ,from upstairs , of LaConnor and the slough.
The kitchen and dining.
The exhibit was mind blowing- Top floor, Salley's work.
The middle floor, the work of a skilled artist that put geometry to work in fabric creating designs that are astonishing. I did not get the artist's name because , Stella and I both, affected so much so that we had to get out of that exhibit. The patterns and bright colors sent us both into vertigo land as we tottered out of there, dizzy and nauseous and down the stairs feeling unwell. Odd how patterns and color can send you into a spin.
The gift shop is wonderful in itself, I bought a length of black watch green wool that I had to have for the color and the wooliness of it.
Anyway, I will post some photos tomorrow of the exhibits. In the meantime go see Salley's work, she is also on my blogroll. tiny stitches, perfect every one!
We ended our day in rain, went to the coop for lunch. Everything has changed since damned covid - the deli no longer serves hot meals, I ate a cold burrito, it was delish and I do not mind cold burritos, Stella warmed hers in the one tiny micro wave at the end of what used to be the salad bar.We had ice cream- couldn't resist- fresh strawberry with balsamic- Stella had a massive scoop of salted caramel coffee. across the street is one of our favorite antique shops, we did go in and I did buy... things- One box out and one box in...that is how I do. On we went into the weather and home again jiggetty jig. Days out with Stella are always the best!









I always knew Bellingham was close to Canada, but I did not realize you could actually see it from your house. Beautiful view of the mountains. That was a beautiful day you had there. I went to Sally's website and learned about how one of her shows was shut down for being "too political." Really? Some people are really snowflakes if a bit of embroidery sends them over the edge.
ReplyDeleteI guess if one embroiders a woman in a burka being tortured by some bearded ass hole , it might be objectionable in the world of sewing...Or trump being fried in an electric chair, I can see how that might be upsetting to the trumpian snowflake world...But Salley's work??? Finding offense is a stretch! Another reason to love Bellingham is that we could walk to the border if needed! a long walk, mind you, but do-able!
DeleteI have the same table in my dining room as that beautiful old house does. Got in Thomasville, Georgia over forty years ago. It has served us well.
ReplyDeleteYou are right- every day with Stella is the best day. How lovely to stare at quilts until your head spins and then go right things again with burritos and ice cream.
I have always preferred round tables, welcoming and inclusive. I love that you have the same table. Of course you would... Stella is the best mate, Lucky to have such a good friend! the quilts that sent us into vertigo were admirable but definitely would be difficult to live with, unless you enjoy vertigo and feeling nauseous...
DeleteThis sounds like such a fun day out. The house looks beautiful and I can't wait to see the quilt pix!
ReplyDeletethe photos do them no justice but may give an idea ...It is such an overwhelm!
DeleteI didn't have vertigo. I'll go with you. I had that table, too. I bet every antiquer east of the Mississippi has picked up one, along the way.
ReplyDeleteI think that if you saw all of those quilts that are meant to destroy your equilibrium you might fall down the stairs too.
DeleteThat building is a stunner.
ReplyDelete