Salley Mavor's exhibit, up close, the real deal. The only problem was that they were all framed in glaring glass so photos were difficult, the clarity of the work probably looks better in glaring glass than non glare. I don't know. I am sure the choice was made knowing that.
Check out Salley's blog/web site/ and especially her film that won awards and was controversial after the orange butthead got elected. It is brilliant!! As is all of her work and how she does this tiny stitching boggles me mind!!
My photos are not doing the work any favors, just giving you an idea , I suppose. If her exhibit is anywhere near your area, do make a point of going to see it. Study it, Marvel at the tiny-ness ,detail, and skill!
See how she stitched this magnificent rug?!?
a closer look...
You can not tell from my terrible attempt to photograph them but they are all 3D, intricate, masterfully stitched, every stitch perfect! Tiny. How???? Looks to be done by magic elves!
Ok, I will not insult her work any more with shoddy photos. There are many links to go to to see how she does this incredible art. DO watch her film, it is so good!! Liberty and Justice. You will recognize all of the characters!
I am off now to take a photo of the wasp in the window, it is not very lively, freezing actually, but it is alive and wondering what the hell kind place this is.











Your photos are wonderful as is Salley's work which I love. Today's images are from one of her books, "How do you go to bed?" (I think) I bought a copy and am waiting for it to be delivered so I can read it to the twins.
ReplyDeleteYes that is the exhibit that we went to and the book is lovely, didn't buy it though. I bought one of her puzzles and a load of cards, online. When the twins are older they will love seeing how all the children of the world sleep. Norway is especially cute!
DeleteUnbelievable. Truly. How can human hands do things like that? I can't comprehend it.
ReplyDeletein person it is like looking at miracles- just a portion of ONE is overwhelming ...and perfect! I might be able to do an inch of this sort of sewing but that inch would take me a lifetime.
DeleteTHank you so much for these photos of these amazing works of art. This is when craft merges with art. It's fine art too! Very very fine. I certainly will look for more of her creativity!
ReplyDeleteNot that shoddy! And the work is just enchanting!
ReplyDeleteTalk about inadequate. Me, not her,
ReplyDelete