My Blog List

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Mary's fruit cake, Emily's baby, life is glorious!

I got up at 2:00am to have another slice of this fruit cake. I have not been able to find really good fruit cake for years. The eighteen dollar ones from a local-supposed -to -be superb company disappointed me so much that after I ate the entire ring of cake I wished that I had bulimic skills .  Thing is  I paid too much for a shite cake - kept eating it insisting that it had to  be good.... for eighteen dollars, must make it so. Idiot....

Mary Moon to the rescue, my god! It is the best fruit cake in the entire world, better than mom's , better than English or Australian cakes, which are mighty good! I stayed up,  watched  several episodes of "Money for Nothing" , made tea, had another slice, and thanked my lucky stars for Mary Moon!

 If you are not familiar with "Money for Nothing" it is  British television  that is wonderful. Designer person saves rubbish from the skip , takes three of the saved  projects to different design experts to up-cycle, resell - takes the profit to the person who took sad old thing to be dumped. The profits are generally sent off to charity of choice by the previous owner- a win win win. The designs and solutions are clever, cool brilliantly done. Saving from landfill, recycling, and giving to charity all in one, Sweet.

 Anyway, back to the fruit cake- I don't know how she made this heavenly/tipsy/fruity/nutty loaf- her skills are above and beyond that is for sure-  fruit cake is my all time fave and this is making me giddy glad!  The gladest.

 -0-

I am letting the soft animal of my body get softer and rounder and more involved with loving what it loves! Life is short- shorter, larger sizes are fine with me.

 Emily's bumper sticker- the best I have  ever seen, besides the one that says "Tell your dog I said Hi"!  

 I took Erik's old baby over to play with Flora again, poke the open/ shut eyes, find the nose, remove the diaper-

Put  diaper  on old baby's head and face where it ought to go.
That is how it is done and  you should know that.
Flora knows that laundry, underpants, any cloth that happens to be within reach belongs on head or semi wrapped around shoulders for a sophisticated runway charm  look. Head is best of course. Flora is most certain , her knowings are strong,  her sense of style outstanding.

  Great parents , great  Flora Jane, thee child of the century, more clever than all of us put together. I suppose everyone feels this sort of  hyperbolic heart explosion re:  beloveds- (BUT, just sayin' if there was a contest ...um. this one -winner winner chicken dinner!)

 The lad will be coming up for Christmas , finger crossed, shaved  Portland hair cut, questionable  tattoos , a nose piercing that looks like a booger-  Can't wait to hug him and hide his keys so that , "uh oh" guess he can not drive back to the city- got to live in the basement at Ma's house, *snap*- pity!! The weather could be a problem, so says Don Day, our favorite meteorologist, brought to you by Chugwater Chili. I thought they would send proper cooked chili in a bottle but it is just chili spices so...meh, and nah. 

 We , all  under the same roof for Christmas eve, are sure to be noisy and to  wish  Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night.  May overwhelm Flora.  Another year, done. Flora and fruit cake- life could not be finer!!

( photo - Erik and Em Christmas eve long ago)

Another slice of Mary's fruit cake , a cup of tea, and that's it for the day, or until 2:00 am,  Happy. Thank you Mary, Thank you Emily. LOVE Xx



26 comments:

  1. Fruitcake and tea, the BEST! Memories of tea parties with our little Scottish Grandma Peg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a lovely memory, one worth all of the gold and silver!

      Delete
  2. I love that candle holder! Flora looks great with the green on her head, it's just the right shade of green for her. Mary's cake does look delicious, maybe I should get hold of the recipe and try it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Mary has Magic - I would love to duplicate this cake but not sure i have the gift of cooking/baking that Mary has.

      Delete
  3. This soft body loves cake in the middle of the night too.
    Good fruitcake is good.
    Baby is better! Let's eat baby! NOOOOOooooo! Just kidding!!!

    I saw a bumpersticker I'd put on my car if I had a car:
    "I'd rather be slowly consumed by moss."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there is something nibble-able about sweet babies.

      Delete
    2. Or consumed by mushrooms, that is a thing and it sounds about right for corpses. Flora jane is too active to nibble- on the go, that girl! Her brain going a mile a second, how quickly she learns stuff! Good thing she has incredible parents- she will be somebody I am sure of it.
      She may bring about world peace, a sort of Kantishness of cooperation to humanity.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you and the soft body loving what it loves (and Mary Oliver's swans as well on the bumper sticker)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most awesome bumper sticker ever! Glad you can identify. At this stage of life I am all about it!!!

      Delete
  5. Linda Sue, I am so very, very glad that the fruitcake delights you. I am also very glad that it appears to have turned out okay this year. One never knows. It's just an old recipe that one can find online- Mrs. Harvey's White Fruit Cake. I basically stick to that. I use my own mixture and measurements of fruit though. And when I say "measurements" I mean- whatever seems right.
    Flora is gorgeous. I would love to see her as a model for painting interpretations. Would that be child labor? She is at such a good age. Able to do and try, her curiosity bubbling on high. Still baby human being but also child with abilities, learning things faster than we olds can think.
    Your decorations are beyond perfect. Enjoy all of your Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have out done yourself with this perfection and joy making delight- today I will put a candle on a slice , blow it out with a wish on this our Keithmas day. You are really something Mary, I love you and blow you a cake kiss! Flora is quick , curious, and clever- Five or six steps ahead always- and that is why mothers are young!!! I remember!! Erik was all over the place all at once and somehow, I kept him alive. Miracle!

      Delete
  6. How lucky to have the genuine Mary moon fruitcake! Enjoy with tea. In fact, just enjoy. And we know she gets lucky too now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most satisfying Christmas wish of all- Mary's fruit cake , a cup of tea , fairy lights twinkling. Splendid!!!

      Delete
  7. How lovely that Mary Moon sent you a fruitcake. I've seen many fruitcakes in my life, but I'm pretty sure I've never tasted one. Now I'm curious. Flora is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no middle ground with fruit cake...most people I know do not like it and I do question their sensibilities...It is definitely NOT health food , it is mental health food though and all of us could use that!

      Delete
  8. Well, aren't you the lucky one getting a fruitcake from Mary Moon. I think I still win though with the life sustaining cookies she sent me. Flora is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Mary full of grace- such a generous heart she has.

      Delete
  9. I love that "soft animal of your body" phrase -- from a Mary Oliver poem if I'm not mistaken. Mmmmmmm...fruitcake! I love fruitcake and have never understood people who think it's so terrible. I like even doorstop fruitcake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doorstop- I know that kind! Yes I like it too - England has the best!! But then they have not employed Mary!

      Delete
  10. My mother in law used to make a dark brown colored fruit cake that was really good. I have the recipe, but have never made it. Happy your soft animal is being well fed with premium fruitcake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! We all thank our stars for Mary Moon, don't we? My favorite fruit cake is the English pudding kind, known as black cake in the Caribbean, and found at blackcake.com. Oh my. I give some as gifts every year, and keep one for my own soft animal body to love what it loves. Enjoy visiting with your boy! And that Flora, what a darling child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes and I like that too! Thanks for the ".com" I will be checking that out!

      Delete
  12. I LOVE fruitcake. My grandmother discovered that when I was a baby, and she and I ate fruitcakes all year. She even took fruitcakes off the counters of her neighbors so their mothers-in-law needn't be offended their fruitcakes were being ignored. She stashed them in her big freezer in the basement. You might make a sweep of your neighborhood when Mary's delicious cake is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary's cake is going fast,
      so good!!!
      that is a great idea because most people do not like it- I should put an ad in the Herald- send your unwanted MIL cakes to this address!

      Delete
  13. I'm a broken record but... CUTEST BABY EVER! (Including any in our family!)

    ReplyDelete