My Blog List

Thursday, October 27, 2022

leap frog raccoons, Christmas Crackers from a human

Windy cold dark morning, end of October, right on time! Every year the kids went out for Halloween and every year came back ill. We could count on it, building immune system- getting ready for winter chill. 

This morning, just now, on the deck railing, the little family of mother and three babies leap frog over one another, probably just to amuse me, viewing through the window.
 



After that fine performance maybe kibbles are on order. 

Yesterday I went out to the weirdest location to find Christmas Crackers.  At first I went online to see what is available- discovered "Olde English Crackers" warehouse is right here ! Just a little way out of town  in a nondescript stretch of strip mall looking warehouses and business buildings, very nearly invisible with a tiny sign indicating "this is it". 

Inside is stocked with English crackers, some expensive with "better" gifts inside and some the usual  fare from England. The lower shelves are the ones hand crafted by this company individually made, shaped differently from the English crackers but of better quality. The price is indicative of that as well. 

The man there, his business, said that if it were not for Amazon , which he loathes, they would not have a business so - make friends with Satan sort of deal.  

We chatted. He lived in London for eight years working as a researcher for The Natural History Museum.  His children were born in London but he failed to obtain dual citizenship for them- of which he is very sorry. The political climate is fubar in England but worse here. Plus...Guns for toddlers and monkeys second amendment bullshite. 

Anyway good talking to a real human instead of Amazon.  

19 comments:

  1. I vote for kibbles---that's some acrobatics.

    Did you get the handmade crackers? how cool!
    Now my orphans want doll-sized ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiny ones out of paper straws cut and wrapped in tiny Christmas paper. oh yes please, good idea.

      Delete
  2. P.S. Oooh--I just looked at their website and see they sell "cracker snaps"--that's the unique part of crackers I wouldn't know where to find---the rest could be toilet paper rolls.
    Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, they have DIY advice and suggestions!

      Delete
    2. I did it: I ordered 24 cracker snaps to make my own---thanks for much for alerting me to this place!

      Delete
  3. Your deck has become part of the local racoon lore of who feeds them and who doesn't. They are wickedly cute, makes me want to pet their little heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sometimes the babies ,who know nothing, get close enough to scoop up and cuddle...But you know how Moms are...They are ridiculous little clowns, bailed us out during covid lockdown , watching the antics.

      Delete
  4. Maybe they play leap frog? Leap r'coon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do not know about frogs- they know that crawl -over -Mommy is good, though. She will not object. She only yells at them if they take her kibbles.

      Delete
  5. You have definitely tamed the raccoons. To a degree, of course. I am not suggesting that they are not still wild animals.
    I love it when I find a little shop or store where there are people working that I can talk to. Lovely little moments in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to just take chatting with folks in shops for granted, I mean that was part of the fun of shopping. I refuse to use self check out.

      Delete
  6. Those raccoons are the cutest! I've never seen such delightful behavior. Thank you so much for being there and taking these photos. Wonderful!
    We try to shop locally whenever we can. Amazon is our last resort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they funny! I like this little family, the hooligans that come around are discouraged- they shredded out=r new screen sliding door ($$$) so I tell them to go back to the forest.

      Delete
  7. The fat little babies are first rate and easily isolated by semi-colons to make their behavior more fun. (?) No idea what I meant! Going to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't thought of Christmas crackers in years, but now I know a family with three young boys and twin baby girls, so this year I might buy some and send them or take them, with their other Christmas gifts which are mostly for the twins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part of Christmas- Crackers and mince pie!

      Delete
  9. I think maybe it's a good thing he didn't get dual citizenship for his kids. Otherwise they might be here and end up dead. As for Satan...saw a bumper sticker once that said: Jesus may love you but the Devil gives you the good stuff. Give me the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did not get British citizenship for his kids not the other way around, He regrets...Yeah, more of the good stuff, Satan!

      Delete