Through the windshield on my way to Flora's house and beyond. Actually "beyond" came first. I went to a store that replaced K-Mart. I bought a flower pot but it took forever because the new shop is unorganized and did not have the pot in their file. No price. I reckoned then , that it must be free. I reckoned wrong.
They have all of the junk Christmas stuff up and running. Horrors- although the gay tree is enticing.
When I go to Flora's house I take a bag full of "'things" and then I bring them home again. Number one because the "things" are generally not the sort one would want taking up space in a tiny Waldorf household.
This was Erik's very first Dolly, which he named "Eat-a-Cookie". Flora , fascinated by the dolly's eyes that open and close using her tiny thumb. Gay slinky was a hit.
I went over early so that I could catch up with Emily before she went to work. She was a bit shaky. She is in a young MOM dance troupe , they performed the night before but Em did not go because her hip is still whacked out . Her friend danced , had a great time, her husband picked her up, on the way home a drunk driver nailed them. They were able to drive home, thought they were OK, and went to bed. She awoke to a terrible head ache, went to the ER and the damned ER said, "you're fine, go home." . She collapsed in their living room - could not be revived, dead. She has 24month old twins and a seven year old . So, yeah, Emily was a bit shaky and sad and in shock. Drunk drivers are not forgivable, not ever. The damned ER is like going to a house of horrors with five year olds tending the injured.
I stayed with Flora Jane for six hours- wore me out fairly well, though we managed a nap on the sofa, baby girl asleep on my chest where my heart pounded like a happy hammer. You know that love is just a four letter word until a baby happens...Chests explode .
Dennis came back with a mug from MeowWolf and a tale to tell. His first observations were that Meow Wolf is for eight year old boys, he did not realize the art of it and the complexity of the games throughout , the clues - he mostly just saw lights and weird shite! No surprise, the man is consistent, anyway he was glad to have gone- closest thing he will ever come to interactive art or mind altering Owsley.
Nice mug.
In the post today a nearly shredded frock for
Bernice came. Fits her in her frumpy raggedy way. You may remember Bernice, in case you need to be refreshed- I found her in a trash can in Port Townsend when I was very young. She had no face, was fairly well beaten up with sprigs of green/brown yarn sprouting out of her head. Trashed.
Poor thing, Brought her home , washed her gently because of fragility- she was already very old, embroidered her face with sewing thread because that was all I could find. Used buttons for eyes that I found on a tossed garbage shirt. Her orange hair was free from the yarn bin. Bernice has been with me for over fifty years. A calming influence- been played with by many children, drug around through the pig pen, dipped her hand in a pot of paint, seams coming undone. Her new frock is from the 30's , in the same condition as she is. hang in there Bernice- we are not done yet.
Dennis willed his body to science- I really hate that idea so talked him out of it- he rescinded his gift this morning and told them that if I die first he will still be a donation for med school. If he dies first I will plant him in the lovely cemetery and get a wonderful stone for him- something from meow wolf.
I will continue to visit him- one sided conversations are the best!






That story of Emily's friend is so heartbreaking. I am blown away that the ER told her she was okay, and then she went home and died. I feel so sorry for all who loved her. What a loss.
ReplyDeleteIt is very cute to see Flora playing with a doll that Erik and played with and named. A true treasure.
The sweetness nearly kills me! The ER here is disastrous- may as well go to after hours cat clinic- would get better treatment! When I broke my neck I went in to ER three times, the first two times they said - nothing wrong with you and sent me packing.
DeleteThey are awful!!
Are murder charges ever brought in these situations?
ReplyDeleteprobably not, He was drunk therefore unable to intentionally murder- maybe manslaughter but I doubt that too.
DeleteSweet baby jeebus that is awful about the drunk driver. I am so sorry for her family. Does Erik have any thoughts about where to live next?
ReplyDeleteNo thoughts, He is going to "look around". He has friends on the east coast as well as west so , who knows. May be checking out grad schools.
DeleteOh my heart. I'm so sad for the tragic death of the young mom, killed by a drunk driver and our "health care" system. I'm so sad for her babies and husband and her friends, Emily. And then there's Flora who knows how to investigate like the best of scientists and who can exhaust a gran by six hours end. I know that feeling. I also know the joy of a nubbin napping on the chest. Life. And no longer life. All goes right to the heart. hugs, LS.~ Karen Frances
ReplyDeleteHow much can the heart handle. Ms. Frances? Such a tiny muscle but does ALL of the work!
DeleteFlora is going to have curls! So sorry to hear about the young mum though :(
ReplyDeleteDrunk drivers should be more severely punished.
I remember well the feeling of a sleeping baby on my chest.
Sleeping baby with chubby arm draped across is just the most fabulous thing in this life. Breathing in unison, hearts one on top of the other- beat beat beat.
DeleteI just don't even know what to say about such a tragedy. What words are there?
ReplyDeleteLet us just love who we love while we can.
You are Flora's fairy goddess grandmother for sure.
oh god, I know Mer, unthinkable tragedy.
DeleteOne sided convos are always the best! I'm not sure science would want mine.... I need to buy a new large Christmas tree this year -- I broke mine last year throwing it down the stairs.
ReplyDeletehahaha you threw the tree down the stairs hahaha. Well, that'll do it for holiday decorating- get a bough from the park after the wind has made many available- that is my intention. Narrowing down the christmas clutter.
DeleteMaybe Son would like the Twin Cities! (Terrible weather though.)
ReplyDeleteIf he wants to check it out, he could sleep on my floor.
OMG. The tearing loss of that young woman. And poor Emily, to lose a dance friend and sistermom...
Nothing can be taken for granted in this life.
XO
Saddest thing ever- surprising , so quick really, though she had time to go to the damned ER and be told _ "everything is fine, go home" that is wha pisses me off the most.
DeleteThanks for the offer of floor, not sure what he will do or where he might go.
I've learned: Head injury? Do not take chances!
DeleteIf *I* know that, why didn't the ER? Evil incompetence.