My Blog List

Sunday, August 9, 2026

Too many photos of a day well spent

STELLA AND I WENT TO OUR FRIEND'S YESTERDAY, OPEN HOUSE , ART SHOWING, A GATHERING.
The entry is mosaic mostly of pieces that she produced in her kiln and from other pottery projects from the past. 

Clarissa has been a friend for a very long time though we rarely see one another. She is busy! She has done many artist residencies in several different countries over the past few years. Teaching as she goes. She complains that her brain NEVER stops, ever! She is exhausted but can't make it shut up! Her house and yard and projects speak to that beautiful noise!


 




Every wall has several features of her making. 

She gathered every little stone from several beaches, in a bucket over months , set them in sand concrete while on her knees bent over the would be path. She said that was the only project that quieted her mind. That is my toe in the photo. You can still see the pretty -much- healed - injury from dropping a vase on it when I painted the bedroom. It was one of Clarissa's vases- shattered, there was BLUD! " Was this a message from Clarissa?" I think it may have been "get thee to the house of beauty, eat a cookie and give a hug !"

Every step taken in Clarissa's yard is an event of interest, of color, of clever art . It is all very organized and fluid, Everything is as it is- belonging to one another though in another's world there seems to be no relationship.  Clarissa's art is inclusive- side by side harmony, just like her diverse family.  

 






Mirrors in bottle caps surrounding Mary-
She made this virgin from clay,, glazed and fired,  added tiny glasses . I appreciate that especially. There are  many eye  things about- I appreciate that as well. Visually impaired reality can be art!

Chandelleirs , long stings of pearls, crystals and brushes hang from tree branches in a pleasing way. Loads of Mary's here and there  and a Joseph squatting in the bushes. She has the most beautiful chickens in the world living in their own large house, kept well . Elvis , the house chicken ,lives indoors with the cat. they sleep together. Elvis wears pants that Clarissa designed to keep poo from hitting the floor. her oldest chicken, Pearl, is eight. 

The path to the shed and the chicken house;

There is a swing large enough for two butts. Flowers all around, sunflowers  in the "courtyard" at the back growing up  past the chimney, held up by rebar. I have never seen such freakishly tall sunflowers!

Her mate, Chris,  made a gypsy wagon that they live in when they go to the California desert during the dark months of rain up here. In the desert Clarissa does art installations , never stopping with her creativity, her mind always on full blast. 



There are about fifty more photos but blog can only deal with so much, you know. Tomorrow I may post more because all of it is gob smackingly gorgeous! 

There are remarkable women in this life. How am I so lucky to know some. 

19 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful gypsy wagon. It has a personality. You do know some interesting and talented people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleverly built, Chris knows what he is doing that is for sure. They have hauled the wagon to the desert three times so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful art, so colourful and vibrant and full of life! I love her mosaic work too. And all the Blessed Virgin Mary imagery -- although I did notice a Goddess of Willendorf tucked underneath on the second shelf of a small white shrine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the color!!! What a glorious life she must lead! I do hope you got — and will share — photos of Elvis the chicken (rooster?) with his pants, sleeping with the cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Failed to get a photo of Elvis and the cat, they were in the upstairs room avoiding people.

      Delete
  5. What a fun place to visit...eye candy galore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! so much color everywhere and interesting placement of interesting art! A feast!

      Delete
  6. Certainly a very colourful house and yard, it would be lovely strolling through taking it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am overwhelmed and feel completely inadequate. I comfort myself, however, in the knowledge that there are people on this earth who are capable of producing art in ways that are staggeringly prolific.
    Here's an article about a man who built a coral castle entirely by himself. https://bittersoutherner.com/coral-castle-a-haunting-monument-to-love-or-aliens-or-limestone-coral-castle
    I am not saying AT ALL that his and Clarissa's accomplishments are anything alike but I wonder if that drive, that never-quiet-brain is a shared trait. Meanwhile, what beauty in these pictures! And whimsy and charm and color and jewels and...
    Her mosaic work is especially fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That drive seems to affect a handful of people on this earth- They are special and rare and full blown! I can't imagine what it must be like to live in that seven inches of head space producing so much fantastic art, non stop! Every waking moment spent in creativity! My seven inches of head space is certainly wasted, I like to sleep... How we spend our time on this earth is fascinating especially interesting are those that step out and produce magnificence. thanks for the link, I will check it out now...

      Delete
  8. Wow! I was non-stop art for decades but it all went elsewhere. Love her place. What joy to be surrounded by all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pleasing- ignites creative fires that is for sure! You have so much land you could certainly jazz it up- you are creative enough and know colors that please! Might be a fun way to spend your elder years.

      Delete
  9. Oh my! I just want to be there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! Most beautiful house on the block that is for sure. Might even become a tourist artist destination place- like the House Of Dreams in London, or Carrie's house in Chiswick.

      Delete
  10. I would love to live amongst all the whimsy and color! She’s supremely talented!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. her brains is firing on more cylinders than any of us have and she has the ability to create the most gorgeous art , out of everything she touches. What a gift!

      Delete
  11. My god the colour is immense - i would want the bathe in all that colour. It would take weeks to resurface.

    ReplyDelete