My Blog List

Friday, August 7, 2026

Thrifting with Stella down south, conjoined heads, and a murder machine.

I went south with Stella. she was on a mission to take 1930's HS annuals to their hometown to see if they might sell down there.  While there we had a look around at every thrift store in the area. I bought a house ( Nippon luster ware plate)
And an icing gadget that will come in handy  for fancier cakes than just a pile of glop on top. The woman on the box is utterly mental- What is she going to do to that cake?
I bought a velvet banana slug for Flora Jane.
See if you can find Stella in this photo, HINT, she is the color of the sofa. 

We had a chat about this little drawer thing, in excellent condition, the real deal  with lovely old metal toggles. It was only 29 dollars and just the right size to fit into Stella's car but neither of us have a place for it at home. Such a deal, a little beauty. On casters which made it even more difficult to pass up. 
 

Stella bought three pretty frames and some mini 50's things for her mouse house. This is my haul:

All of that  excellent shopping made us hungry- exhausting doing  the best shopping in the world...We went to the Trainwreck and split a salad of the most remarkable kind!  Tender juicy strips of chicken , avocados, cucumbers on crisp romaine. Peppery dressing. 

Back to Stella's where I got into my car and drove  home before the sun went down.


Modesty in Stella's garden.


 This morning Jan sent me a photo of the conjoined daisies that she has growing in her kitchen- She had sent the first photo a few days ago and we, both, were very curious to see how a conjoined daisy would mange...

This morning it showed its skill for blooming in spite of  head sharing.



Freak! Curious how the top petals compensated for lack of space. You may remember Jan from the little Japanese doll she gave to me, and the tea that Dennis prepared in a gigantic tea pot ?  I tried to find that post but failed. Jan sends the best stuff in emails. It is always a delight to wake up in the morning and find an email from her.  Clever and lovely is Jan. AND, bonus, she has a conjoined freak daisy! 

Today I took my Cpap machine in to have it checked  and questioned about it's intent, which is to kill me in my sleep...Replaced a few parts ,  the fixer upper sent me home, and said to get back to them on Monday if I was still alive.

 It has been my best friend for a year and now all of a sudden murder is its agenda.  Damn machines.  Anyway, new parts may snap it out of its disagreeable  turn. 

night night little freak;
 

( thanks Jan!)

19 comments:

  1. Your post title intrigued me, and your post's contents did not disappoint, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to know that contents did not disappoint- conjoined and murder in the same sentence may not sound compelling. you took a chance!

      Delete
  2. You do find some interesting things. Your house plate reminds me of Clarice Cliff - I love her 'stuff.'
    The little cupboard on castors would be so useful.
    Your friends house is beautiful - what a wonderful location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clarice was my first though but it is Nippon. If it had been Clarice i would have hit the jackpot!
      I rather regret NOT buying the little drawer thing- it was very nice.

      Delete
  3. I would have bought that small dresser (if that's what it is) in a heartbeat. Simply perfect for...something! I find that plate to be charming. As are you and Stella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the little dresser thing was just the right size...for something. That was a temptation that neither of us could rationalize even for the small price. There was a chest with inlaid ivory , a scene of Japanese women , lacquered top , brass bindings, gorgeous and there was a shipping box that looked like it traveled on a stage coach in its past life. all for low low prices. If my house was empty...If I could send them all to you for free...If only.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I could have passed up that little dresser. I can think of several places to put it here. I've always wanted to live on or near water...a lake, a live creek, a beach, a river but nope. The river here is 3 miles away and muddy brown with steep banks and no easy access. No place to spread out for an afternoon listening to the water flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a difficutl resist buut resist we did. Living near water to me now is like breathing. It is essential.

      Delete
  5. That cake thing was worth it for the box alone! I love that plate -- Nippon. Yes, it did remind me of Clarice too. I would have bought that little dresser in a heartbeat. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the little dresser- now I realize that I have a spot for it...too late. The woman on the cake box is a wonder!

      Delete
  6. Lovely day, thanks for taking us along. The sweet dresser must have been hard to pass up. I have a spot for it.
    I certainly hope your CPAP turns away from the dark side.
    Wonderful scenery around yours and Stella's. I have a friend here planning to retire relocate to your neck of the woods.Watch out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CPAP did OK last night and I am still here. Maybe it is fixed...I will haunt the manufacturers if not. Moving from sky to non sky will be an adjustment for your friend unless she moves east of the mountains. Bellingham seems to be a sweet spot all year round but , like I said, No sky.

      Delete
  7. I see from the comments that your evil CPAP machine did not kill you. Happy to hear that. Life goes on here in "the Zone", Grateful that our house was spared but full of survivor's guilt for those whose homes were not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luck of the draw, Jim. OR prayer and clean living, haha. Yes you guys have bee lucky and that has nothing to do with those that have not. Guilt is reserved for those who intentionally do harm or fail to assist. Just thank your lucky stars and hope that the toxicity of the smoke does not cause more damage.

      Delete
  8. Shame you couldn't accommodate that lovely little dresser (drawer thing- not sure why we say dresser over here). The daisy is mad - sympomatic of a mad world.😵‍💫🤪🫣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of the Alice in wonderland flowers...I think that this one belongs. I should have tucked that little dresser under my arm anyway..find a place for it later. The price was SO CHEAP!

      Delete
  9. I would not have been able to resist the drawers. Never mind that I have no need or place for it. Before the last major downsize, I had a lot of pre-WW2 lusterware. I loved it, wish maybe I had not ejected all of it. But I did. That's a nice plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the graphic on the plate, looks so homey and peaceful. Unlike real life! You nomads had to chuck stuff or you could not travel hither and thither and beyond. I would have a difficult time doing that...But like I always say, nothing that a match coudn't take care of.

      Delete
  10. The little dresser is so sweet! Would you mind sharing the name/location of the thrift store? I live in Snohomish County and I would love to find a thrift store that occasionally has real wood furniture. My husband drives up to Bellingham weekly and I find myself wishing that you would name your haunts so that I too could explore them. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete