Today the smoke hit the ground. All day the air quality has been zero quality. Orange light, dark grey sky, irrespirable air. We are not on fire, unlike Allison and Jim in Spokane just over the mountains;we are getting the residue and it is toxic. What to do on a day such as this?
Go to the thrift store, of course- senior day everything 30% off- all fresh stuff , hot from the back room.
I bought the Empire State Building
I bought the Brandenburg Gate
I bought tiny groceries. the photo only represents a quarter of the groceries in the $3.00 bag. Who can resist mini groceries? Not I.I bought a Seminole girl.
I bought hand carved hand made swinging rocking horse with horse hair tail - clever design and well made probably by someone's grand dad.
I bought a bracelet made out of Camp Fire Girl merit beads and a little wooden key chain girl from Estonia.
I spotted a thing in the trolley that had not yet been put on a shelf. I asked if I could have it before anyone else saw it and the woman said "yes".
Two headed Mexican folk art angels. Large , weighty, hand carved out of a single piece of wood. No idea where they may be hung.
So much for streamlined , minimalist sensibilities, right? Could you have resisted these conjoined angel heads with fancy wings?
Neither could I.
Hard to believe , but I did return more to the shelves than I took away. It was a good day at the thrift store- pays to be a "senior" with a pocketful of dimes. I returned two vintage child chairs , needlepoint seats, a four ft tall wine glass, a large prism , a bag full of glass candle holders that looked like bubbles. a 100% wool blanket in great condition from the fifties, an apron, a wooden carved and painted giant strawberry, a perfect square silk Furoshiki wrapping cloth from vintage Japan, two lucite rings, So many cool things- back to the shelves from whence they came.
If I still had my shop I would be spending more time in thrift stores, At one point I had five booths, three ETSY shops and ebay- it was a lot but it was fun. Stella did the same. We made some dollars. Having five booths made inventory easier to refresh, just shifting goods from one booth to another. in three different towns.There was theft,there was breakage, rent was high and the percentage that the owner of the shop took was about 40% . Etsy used to be amazing but has gone all corporate greedy and the taxes and postage are a hassle. SO, Can't be bothered with all of that now. I can be bothered collecting stuff for no good reason. It's a high. Better than skydiving, probably.
If that is not thrilling enough- Eye jab first thing in the morning tomorrow!
Can't say my life is not full!









I like all your purchases EXCEPT the conjoined angels, to me they are creepy. Now I am off to ebay in search of mini groceries for my Redheads.
ReplyDeleteMexican folk art generally is a bit -off, thus the charm. Every culture has its "vibe", I reckon. The tiny groceries are well done plus they do not take up much room. Perfect for redheads.
DeleteYou certainly have a knack for finding fun things in thrift stores! That is a beautifully crafted horse and I love the Seminole doll and the tiny Estonian! JanF
ReplyDeleteAnd all of it will likely end up back in the thrift store eventually. Rinse-repeat...
DeleteMy next door neighbor, born and lived here all his life, swears that the Goodwill gets things in a cycle like that, everything moving around Bellingham....
DeleteWhat is it about miniatures that charms our hearts so? I just love them.
ReplyDeleteNow I would totally have bought the angels. Of course. And that Seminole doll is an excellent example of the art. Really nicely done.
Great haul, lady!
You were on my mind- we would have had fun! The angels popped out like something from your porch and of course the little Seminole woman , as well.
DeleteI've never found one with braids before. The tiny things are our cuppa! Maggie and You and I should live in a mini world.
Amazing finds as always! I've never seen anywhere with such great thrift stores. Of course, your eye for the special items is a major factor in your success!
ReplyDeleteI used to sell things on eBay and I stopped because the way the site required us to verify the shipping costs got so crazy. We had to enter the size and weight of the item blah blah blah and I just gave up. Why not just let me estimate my shipping costs and leave it at that?
Tomorrow Stella and I are going south to hit every thrift store we can find! You are welcome to tag along!!
DeleteThere are a few perks to having senior status! I love the detail in the mini groceries.
ReplyDeleteI never dabbled in etsy or ebay, but it used to sound kind of fun. Not so much anymore.
Here's hoping your eye jab does its thing and your skies clear!
senior status - perks all the way! Achieving invisibility and new found attitude of not giving a shit --bonus! I would not have it any other way. Snails pace suits me!
DeleteNice finds.
ReplyDeleteShopping your thrift store is like treasure hunting. Even just looking around to see what's on the shelves would be good fun. The shelves seem to carry items found worldwide and you never know exactly what you will find. We have nothing like this.
A friend told me Facebook Marketplace was a good place to sell. She recently sold her home and is selling the home content on Facebook. She bought a home in FL and a condo in MA.
Your friend is smart to sell of facebook- it is free. However I dropped facebook long ago due to policies and evil Mark Zuck...Plus the posts that people posted were idiotic. Sometimes a friend has a pop up sale of vintage and antique curiosities - that is the BEST!
DeleteThrift stores up here are most entertaining. Cool stuff!
Your smoke is coming from California and Oregon, we are not guilty! I like the Mexican folk art, that was a good score.
ReplyDeleteWhere is YOUR smoke blowing? I hope to DC, the magic kingdom...Thinking about you and Jim- hope and safety thoughts!
DeleteI saw something today that it's making it as far as the Great Basin, which is far.
DeleteAlthough, after looking at a map, I think that might be some bullshit, the winds are from the SW.
DeleteI wouldn't have been able to resist those conjoined angels either!
ReplyDeleteGOOD! Litmus test...You passed! The angles are weird and cool and YOU like them too! We are sisters in questionable taste!!
DeleteWe are turning into thrift shop junkies but nothing so interesting as yours - we are hunting interesting kitchen things to make into pendant light shades.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool project! Can't wait to see what you come up with!!
DeleteI would have pounced on the joined angels. I have a pair of faces with embossed aluminum wings (from Mexico) that I found at a trash or treasure shop. And I'd have probably taken the Japanese wrapping cloth.
ReplyDeleteOh the sweet peas, I swoon for sweet peas. Seeds have to go in here no later than December, need sun, and I never remember.
DeleteI rarely have much success with sweet peas- not enough sunshine maybe. too wet, probably. But I SO love them, brief as they are...The fragrance is delicious. The Japanese wrapping cloth was a difficult release to be sure but must draw the line somewhere, so they say.
DeleteYou had an absolutely fabulous day and I love every single thing you bought! Your sweet peas are perfect in that wonderful vase!
ReplyDeleteThe cat looks surprised.
DeleteAlways a fabulous day looking at other peoples junk, buying what is ESSENTIAL! Conjoined angel heads- everyone must have some. Their lives would improve, pretty sure.