People stepping up to take care of their loved ones, their bodies, their right to choose.
The queue around the block began at 4:00 A M. Saturday's clock ran out before everyone could be inked. Honoring their customers they will extend the process of jabbing arms and butts ,injecting ink as they go, for as long as it takes. "Love Thy Neighbor" has become a rallying theme. Homeless housing has taken off as well....finally. some accept, some don't but at least a few are off the streets and secured under a roof.
There were old people in the queue as well! Bellingham community does have priorities- Planned parenthood is at the top of the list.
"Don't let the Bastards grind you down"
Sally and Anna are driving down to Burning Man tomorrow, van well packed (we hope) first time for both of them - should be more than interesting for those two. Sally printed a photo of Douglas , our friend who died in the spring. He went to Burning man several times - LOVED dressing up and being girlie- loved pearls and lipstick. Sally will leave the photo and our inscriptions in the temple.
I asked Dougie Wougie to haunt me, please- I would love to see him again!
Sally and Paul just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary! WOW, says I! Seems like five minutes ago we were at their wedding- I was in the bedroom with Sally getting her dress over her head and laughing uncontrollably - there may have been cocaine involved, not sure..(liar) Anyway, Sally got this card for Paul which totally hits the mark because SALLY is the mark hitter. !!!
So that was the week end - a good one here in the Ham, our little bubble of sanity. Feeling lucky- it is a good little community.










Did you finally get a tattoo? Lol
ReplyDeleteStill waiting in the queue
DeleteIt must be a very different experience, living in such a good little community. You are lucky to have found it, wise to have stayed.
ReplyDeleteI think Burning Man would be my biggest nightmare but for those who love that sort of adventure- go with your joy!
I love the illusion of escape, by sea, by border- These dangerous days of the nation. It can all change just like that *snap*. It is nice to live in a liberal bubble, youth taking a stab at decency to one another. They are a compassionate lot.
DeleteI would have loved going to Burning Man in my youth. Not today, I would die immediately! I am tethered to CPAP machine and eye jabs- not going anywhere I guess, This is where I will end my days.
Sounds like a great weekend full of positive energy, even while missing your friend Doug. I've never heard of a tattooing fundraiser -- that's a fun idea!
ReplyDeleteThey had a menu of "Love thy neighbor" themed quick tattoos that could be done so hundreds showed up! All heart!
DeleteYour community is generous and strives to do good. That's impressive.
ReplyDeleteRaising $125K is amazing.
Your sky is dramatic and beautiful. We do not get the red sky like you do.
I love Sally's card. She chose well. 50 years together is a great milestone.
Remembering Doug and all the good times you shared takes you down a lovely path.
RIP Doug, you are remembered and loved always.
He is missed- I am always amazed at hoe the death of friends doesn't really hit me for a while, I do expect them to show up!
DeleteI can barely tolerate August here at home with air conditioning available. No way am I going out to the desert for a week at this point in my life. Would have been fun though if I had been childless and was happy to go from job to job when I was young enough to endure it. Seems late this year though.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking about getting another tattoo. Apparently that is something I can tolerate at this point in my life.
YES Ellen, get another tattoo, something that will impress the morticians- they will wonder who this amazing human had been in her life!!
DeleteWhat an unusual fundraiser. Some of my grandchildren and their spouses are fond of tattoos - one or two are addicted!
ReplyDeleteTattoos are addicting AND expensive! My son once said he would NEVER get a tattoo...um, after so many later and meeting his love, a tattoo artist, things have changed!!
DeleteNow that was an excellent fundraiser. Cocaine involved? Wouldn't bet against it.:)
ReplyDeleteCocaine was never really a thing for me- it only kept me up past my bedtime...but Sally liked it . Speed ball that she is!
DeleteSFGate, an online paper, did an article about how inflation has decreased participation this year. Apparently some of the camps require riggers and many people to function safely, for the people who are flying in the tent with swords. So the economy is having its way with art and culture. I had a friend who went yearly, he took me through the logistics, and there are many, to stay safe and not perish from the caustic sand. I have never had the urge to do it.
ReplyDeleteA decrease in population which has topped at 70,000 - is a good thing! That is equivalent to seven towns in Wyoming! If I could teleport I would love to roam the Playa to see art and bathe in the vibes! Goodwill, mostly . No money except for entry which is about 800 dollars. plus all that one must take with and a disposable bike! Folks do come away with a better perspective of life in general. Burners are seasoned !
Delete$125K in a day! Generous indeed!
ReplyDeleteBurning man should be a fun experience, hope they're well packed.
I will bet you a nickle that they come home early.
Delete