Autumn color, Dennis's tomatoes grown in the hottest place by the garage wall, always do their best there. The zucchini on the deck fizzled this year, zucchini - a dime a dozen in the fall so no big loss, flowers have been rewarding! Dennis grew seven cucumbers, also by the garage, a few marigolds to ward off pests. Rabbits don't seem to like them.This is the rabbit that the neighbor threw a plate at, We call her Mrs. Farmer McGregor- anyway the rabbit scooted through the critter proof fence that she had put up a few years ago, and sat in our yard until I got too close and ZIP! back through the fence into Mrs. McGregor's yard. The rabbit's suits blend so well with brown end- of- summer grass, that I nearly step on them before I know they are there.A crow left one of its feather sticking straight up like a flag. With my poor vision I thought it was an entire bird.
Out of the corner of my compromised vision , the cosmos were acting crazy. There was no wind , and no earth quake- with my camera I zoomed in on a charm of goldfinches bouncing around on the cosmos, eating their middle and tearing the petals off. Wild! We have a bird feeder but I guess the cosmos are more enticing.
Flurry of frantic activity and then they were gone.
Weather is creeping in - temperate , mild, damp-ish. Refreshing I find, but am forewarned of the interminable darkness that comes with winter. That is the one thing , other than high cost of living here, that drives folks back to sky country. Darkness.
Daughter in law and son are now living in sunny Portugal. Her mail is being forwarded to us. She had been an interior designer in Seattle and receives that sort of magazine frequently. They are uninspiring - back to beige/brown/ muted green.- yawn-
When Austin comes here after working on the island- I am so pleased to see his car pull up- seeing him as well as his spiffy automobile , not influenced by his mom's designer influence- His car is cheerful - visible!
Lil Stumpy came back this morning her family, all together. happily being little raccoons in the rain. Amputation healing nicely.Lovely having Austin staying with us for a while. He will eat anything that I cook, especially having worked all day, being very hungry, having to commute so far- Up at 5:30 AM, returning around 8:45 pm...YOUTH can do anything! Anyway I have been cooking for a change, since Dennis can not eat anything I have let any so called cooking skills take a back seat. I have forgotten how.
Today - dark, cool, rainy, restful....no plans, a snooze maybe. The shift in weather takes some adjustment. 55 degrees at the moment, 86% humidity, dark and drippy but not a cats and dogs day. A gentle nudge into seasonal change. It feels a little like jet lag.













It's still mighty colorful there, at least in your yard. Linda Sue- you take the best pictures! You honestly do. You should be so proud of that.
ReplyDeleteI bet your meals are fine. It's got to be like riding a bike, right? Muscle memory and so forth. And good to have someone grateful and eager to eat what you cook.
Cooking is all about the butter, in my skill set...I am not a good cook, nor am I clever. Just as well that Dennis can not longer eat...
DeleteThank you for complimenting my camera- it is a very old point and shoot sort of thing, I would love to have one like Steve's! Something with clarity and good color registration. I have never had a really good camera.
I like colour and young people. I'm glad to hear the amputee is faring well, despite all misgivings. We have had blessed rain and even the drizzle is cause for celebration.
ReplyDeleteRain, color and the young folk! Very good reasons to celebrate, indeed!
DeleteOur resident rabbits seem to have disappeared, tough being on the bottom of the food chain. Miss the little buggers sitting in the side yard munching on grass.
ReplyDeleteMaybe the wildlife on your lawn got murdered by the smoke and fires...Such a waste of good coyote dinner!
DeleteHigh visibility is exactly what is needed on the roads in autumn and winter weather. Dennis's garden haul looks amazing, gorgeous tomatoes. Love the flowers.
ReplyDeleteI agree, being visible on the road especially in the dark north is wise! That said , brightly colored cars tend to get pulled over by cops more frequently, so say-eth the stats. I LOVE the color of Austin's subaru, great little car!
Delete