Dennis walked down to the bay thinking that a walk might be helpful. It wasn't but he sat on the beach bench of rock and drift wood , took in the salt and sea and thought about making better choices... He still is suffering extreme pain.
This is the first butterfly seen in years. On the deck, painted lady. Dennis's photo.
My ONE poppy struggled to bloom, and then it was gone.
This morning - a pod. Probably frightened into old age by the fireworks over night.
The loudest and most frequent I ever remember- a steady rolling thunder around the edges, explosions near by. The city fireworks over the bay were predictable. Always the same , but, generally when they end, all fireworks call it a night and everyone goes to bed. Not last night...explosions until 3:00 am.
I had wished that I had a megaphone to shout at the close by bombers to STFU and go to bed like normal human beings. You know that feeling of finally entering a dream state, all comfy , warm and drifty and then BOOM , a blast so loud it hurts your ears. Yeah, it was that, several times until three...I truly hate 7/4 holiday.
Today in the garden, as though nothing happened last night...
"peace, love and understanding"
A t-towel from the thrift shop- made in the UK . T-towels from England are the best for graphics and quality of cotton.
Who doesn't love a budgie? I've had a few and they never disappoint, although one of mine flew into the TV screen and never peeped again. When I was little I had one named Pepper. Clever little thing talked and sang for years. He actually put sentences together , like when My Dad came home from a train trip, Pepper said " Hi Pete, choocachoocachoo. (train sound) One morning I got up to uncover his cage and say the usual, "Pretty bird , pretty Pepper". There was a note attached to his blanket- "Honey, Pepper was not well last night when I covered him, I am sorry he may have died in his sleep. Do not be too sad, he had a fine life, love , Mom". Yes, he was dead, belly up, dear little thing. I have had many birds since but none as lovely as he or as smart. He had freedom in the house, flew around and entertained us while we were eating dinner. He marched around sampling everyone's food, like Helen Keller - in the Miracle Worker. He sat on my shoulder when I was on the phone and would repeat a partial conversation, which sometimes was not good. Tattle tale! He chuckled and laughed and gave kisses, he flirted- he was loved.
- and here is our other love- Flora Jane's final T-ball game for the season.
She carries BalerinaMouse with her everywhere she goes. Even when Flora is up at bat, BalerinaMouse helps her to grip the bat.
Tomorrow I go in for another eye thing, and then will meet grandson for dinner. The weather is superb! We will eat outside and discuss his brilliant future and possibly have a G&T. Summer days demand it!








That towel is frame-worthy!
ReplyDeleteWe had a parakeet, too -Keetie - when I was young but I'm not sure anyone in the house really liked it all that much. Now that I think of it, it must have had a dreary life, always in a cage, compared to your clever Pepper.
Parakeets were a fifites thing I recall. We could buy them at the five and dime. Along with little turtles and lizards- none lasted very long sadly. folks just did not know how to care for them. Especially in the difficult living situations of harsh Wyoming.
DeleteWe had a very similar budgie - Peppy! Talked, sat on our shoulders, ripped up our homework papers. He loved my grandma best. That was a caring note your mom left for you.
ReplyDeleteFlora Jane - such a jock.
Peppy must have been a relative...charming little bird. Oh yes ine]deed Flora jane is all about it...princess balerina jock...
DeleteI am sorry to hear Dennis continues to be in pain. That must be awful for you both.
ReplyDeleteThat aside, your garden is lovely and filled with color and blooms.
I've not owned a bird but have had friends with them. One friend moved to NC and built a home with an aviary. Her birds were her children.
The tea towel is definitely a treasure. True art on a towel!
Your Pepper sounds like no other bird. I had no idea Budgies had both personality and skill.
Flora looks adorable with her T-ball team. I suspect anything Flora takes on, she will succeed.
to build an aviary would be a dream come true- I really hate keeping birds in cages for their safety. Trouble is that they are not safe flying around the house...and out the door. I do not keep a bird anymore, though I would like to. Flora is going to be alright-fabulous parents! AND Grannies...No one is going to allow her to slip!
DeleteI feel so bad for Dennis. Will he go to a doctor? Does Bellingham have a Pain Management clinic? For years I poo-pooed them because they seemed to be staffed by idiots. But there are two in Tucson that were worthwhile, so perhaps in Bellingham there might be a good one. You had a stupendously fabulous budgie.
ReplyDeleteTo Dennis, Pain is something that one must ride out. some measure of tough pride I guess. I am sure that there are options in bellingham. I would seek them out for myself if I had as much discomfort as he is suffering! Poor guy.
DeleteI am sorry Dennis continues to suffer like this, back pain will really drag a person down. Allison is right, perhaps the pain management clinic route would be a help for him, they did work for me. Not hard to pick out Ms Flora in that picture, stylin' as always!
ReplyDeleteHe has an appointment with doctor in two days so all is not lost...maybe. I hope that something is offered! He is a hurting unit. Every step is mean!
DeleteI love the rock/driftwood seat. The blue hydrangeas and purple flowering vine are the best I have seen. My mum kept budgies and bred them for selling too, in big aviaries in the back yard. She also had cockatoos, one of which learned to mimic Mum so perfectly we thought it was her yelling at us to come and finish our chores. I hope Dennis finds the cause of his pain and gets help.
ReplyDeleteYour Mum is remarkable! Breeding birds is a demanding hobby! That is so funny about the cockatoo sounding like our Mum. I had a parrot that sounded like Erik calling for me- we had to take the parrot in for care and left him for a few days at the vet...the janitor reported that there was a child hollering for his mother somewhere in the building.... distressing to not find that child relieved to find out it was our parrot.
DeleteThe hydrangea and clematis are glorious. I was dreaming early this morning about trying to cook eggs for a lot of people and it wasn't going well and in my dream I had to finally give up and sit down because my butt and leg ached horribly. Then I woke up and my butt and leg ached horribly. I sympathise with Dennis.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have Piriformis syndrome- There are a handful of stretching exercises recommended but just about anything other than rest, seems to be counter productive. That is a difficult thing for active folks ! Dennis does not rest, ever!Take advil for pain. Dennis will see a doctor tomorrow so...we'll see.
DeleteGorgeous tea towel, how could anyone have donated such a useful and beautiful thing? You got lucky!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was young we also had a blue budgie , his name was Peppy! Once we gave him a grape and he tried to sit on it and got upset when it rolled away from him. We had to remove it as he was also regurgitating food to feed it. Really sad.
I see the doctor today for the same pain that D has. I was in agony shopping at the big store yesterday even though the cart helped. JanF
OH NO- Piriformis syndrome seems to be making the rounds. Terribly painful! I am so sorry, Ms. Jan! Ultra sound may benefit the area where the mucle is spasming and hurting the nerve. I hope you find relief soon!!
DeleteYou little Peppy was trying to mother a grape- that is really quite hilarious, sad for the misunderstood little bird ...
Dennis must be in horrible pain to have made a doctor's appointment. I really hope he can get some relief. Human bodies are sort of proof to me that "intelligent design" only went so far.
ReplyDeleteI love Flora Jane and her Ballerina Mouse. There are none so attentive and loving as a very, very young mother. Or friend. Whatever.
"intelligent design" hit the skids when i had my first period...On and on that dumb idea went until surgically removed.
DeleteDennis in pain is NOT a good idea either...he would not have done well if born female. women are so damned strong!
Flora and ballerinamouse are here to tell you!
I just love those budgerigars...Lucky you to have had such a clever friendly one - ours was angry and aggressive. Flora looks darling in her team get-up.
ReplyDeleteSorry that your bird was cranky. Maybe t ours was loved and hand raised when a baby egg. not sure.,but he was the sweetest little thing. We gave him loads of gentle attention That probably didn't hurt!!. Always glad to see him and play with him.
Delete