My Blog List

Wednesday, December 24, 2025

that was a birthday, but not for jesus.


Best birthday party ever. I made the entire dinner , yay me, everything was cold but edible.  I made birthday cake from Swedish Gramma's recipe-  covered it with whipped cream and berries. I  used reasonable dinner ware! The roses did not wilt -no one got ill. I think we are OK. Next birthday I hope to be in Bruges with Stella.  That is something I yearn for. We did spend one day there and it was not enough, of course.   A quickie because we were staying in Amsterdam, loved it there so much we didn't want to take time away from it. It is where the cute mice live in a house in the library. 

 -0-

 

 Erik made it ! A very tired man in a christmas sweater- Santa riding a unicorn in sequins.  Flashy, Erik intended to take it home with him, to wear on christmas day when he and his pals  will sit around drinking irish coffee and watching crap movies.  But he left very early this morning and left it on the chair, Bummer.

Grand daughter wore an elf suit, not a great photo of it but you can see that she is cuter than any elf ever anywhere! 

I would trust this elf to fly us to Bruges!

I gave her my Pfaff sewing machine because she bought a back and forth one from good will to make a quilt for her Grand mother, Dennis's first wife.  I call her my sister wife- we are all very friendly.  Anyway Maddy thinks she is going to take up sewing. The Pfaff will change her mind , pretty sure. It is a complicated machine. 

 

It was indeed  a fair  party, Stella came and was  second star - Maddy  always  first star, because she insists... Stella brought a gorgeous bouquet and a present from her vintage book pile at the ass league. 
"Wyoming Cookin'"

It looks like a guide for "Jeffry Daumer's kitchen" some of the recipes are quite  meaty....  this is one- 

GROSS! There is a recipe for stuffed calves hearts and one for ground porcupine. Nightmare in the kitchen!  We did grow up eating a lot of flesh , game , mutton and bovine. I craved vegetables, probably malnourished from so much game.  It wrecked my brain, that is my excuse.
 

The table after. roses still perky but everything else is hung over.  Today I was tired, bone tired. slept for eleven hours, still felt like last years bird's nest, even after a strong cuppa Joe. Emily and the little family came over and boosted electricity into this old  sad sack! Flora was WIRED!  BOING BOING scream BOING! Maybe because it is Christmas, maybe because chocolate, maybe because her mom and dad were here and she had to show them who is boss in this granny house. She was LIT! Delightfully so, mind you. She is Flora Jane!!!

Emmett, sweet as can be played with blocks counting them "One, One, ONE" Such a cool little dude and when he smiles I think I might explode, Ow! my heart!! AND he smiles quite a lot so  - Love hurts!

Exploding Granny!




 Flora found my reading glasses, red to match her outfit, superb. She looks like chief editor of Toddler Fashion And Style Magazine , The  Poo Report. I think she may be on to something!

Her writing skills are also superb. The best birthday card I ever did receive   has been this card from Flora Jane.

Today's gift! 

 

 

She hired her mom to interpret the message-  Flora  read / dictated to Emily  what she had written. Emily is a capital secretary as you can see from her ability to listen carefully and ,in clear penmanship, capture the message.

I see promise  in this four year old's writing! Pure artistry and clarity of purpose. 

Santa Claus is on his way tonight.  Everyone is pretty excited.   I hope that you get what you need. 

Merry happy and bright!

Waiting for Santa....

 

 


 

26 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!! Thank you for your light and laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Santa has come and gone here and at the twins house is a plate with cookie crumbs and a mug with just a teeny bit of milk left in the bottom and half a chewed carrot left by a reindeer that probably had too many carrots on his rounds. The Twins were WIRED! omg! A delight to be with of course, but so tiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that by the time Santa arrives here he has had enough cookies and milk and the reindeer are fed up with carrots- I just woke up, and I see that Santa even came to our house of no children!

      Delete
  3. Getting an “I love to play with you” – – that’s about the best birthday present I can imagine!
    Seal of Approval from the best judge:
    Four- year-old Flora!

    And today, merry Christmas! 🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps. Too bad about Excellent Erik’s lovely sweater though

      Delete
    2. And play we do- It does not take much effort for my brain to slip into PLAY, as you know! You are right- best gift ever- seal of approval! You would have fun here! Erik so bummed about leaving the crazy sweater here. He had plans.. Oh well. He can watch crap movies and pet dogs in his underwear...

      Delete
  4. I know it meant so much to you to have your darling Erik come to celebrate his mama. And everyone else who came too. Beautiful people, each and every one. Flora's card is the very best ever. She is definitely talented beyond belief. And I think her brother may become a mathematician.
    I have thought about you so much, doing all that work by yourself and doing it with so much style and grace. You are a wonder. I believe that eating all that game, in actuality, made you a super being with the attributes of each and every critter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a tip- @ Cost co "everything bagel" spices are sold in a largish jar. Put it on home made french bread with stacks of butter and VOILA! delicious bread that is not a terrible failure! I have been thinking about you as well- how effortlessly you put wonderful dishes together - crowd pleasers and generally amazing tasty delights.
      Emmett is such a champion little guy- his disposition is even keeled- he takes a lot of bossing around by his loving sister. He pretty much rolls with it...God they are darling! This world is not good enough !!
      If you are what you eat- I am mostly antelope and jack rabbit- never ate a bear or a wild cat- (ewww) so I guess I am pretty docile, at home in the wild...always on the lookout for shit humans...

      Delete
  5. What a lovely party and such wonderful birthday fun! Thanks for sharing your precious card and photos of your grands! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very OK party and could be my last, who knows what bus is coming around the corner. Having the little kids here was such a christmas delight! ARen't they the cutest little humans! Merry and happy to you- too I hope the weather is fine and that you eat a cookie!

      Delete
  6. I guess I didn't realize it was a birthday party, not a christmas party. Happy birthday! I doubt it was your last party. You are the party girl and do it so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was both- Krimbo and BD- as usual at this time of year. anyone born around Krimbo gets short changed so we have to make our own parties. One never knows- life is hanging by a thread really...just like *snap* we can be snuffed!

      Delete
  7. What a wonder of a Birthday celebration!
    You seemed so relaxed about organizing all that, I would have been beside myself!
    You have a lot of love in your life! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your standards are higher than mine I reckon. I don[t fret too much because the family is pretty relaxed and accepting. We all just love each others company- that is the gig, after all. Good company and loud laughter. works for me! Happy Christmas, Jan!

      Delete
  8. Happy belated Linda Sue! Now, about that Son of a Gun Stew.....................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there are more recipes to curl your hait- a cook book full of the worst! Geez! living in Wyoming is "desperate"! little wonder it is the least populated state, for may reasons! Great place to grow up- tempered by heat and wind and harsh weather. 50 below zero, as well as dirt and stone blown in your face., common lightening strikes upon a person, and wild life that just wants you to not be alive... Gotta be hearty- or LEAVE and live in the squishy safe namby pamby PNW!

      Delete
  9. Happy Christmas and B-day, Linda Sue.
    Your cake looks to-die-for!
    The best celebrations ever are filled with equal amounts of love and fun seeking. I see both at your home. Love Maddie the elf and Erik with his Christmas sweater. Even Flora dressed for the occasion, adding your red glasses makes her just adorable. She's ready for any challenge.
    Wyoming sounds so unique to me. Wild wild west and recipes to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone broke the clocks in Wyoming- time stands still- Wild yet of this world so it is confused i think. Great place to grow up, makes everywhere else on earth look charming! The cake was tasty not pretty. Isn't Flora darling? I marvel at that child!

      Delete
  10. You might be exhausted but I love the energy in your blog posts. I smile as I try to think of something clever to comment. Brain freeze. Enjoy xmas and have a great new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meet the new year, same as the old year..."Is he dead yet?"
      Brain freeze is do-able- at this point mine is mush and can not seem to organize thoughts or doings. Now winter sets in hard core- January, February and March- three months of dark wet cold limbo.I want to be where you are!

      Delete
  11. Happy Happy belated birthday, Linda Sue! Jesus would be jealous if he were the jealous type, I'm guessing?
    Wonderful cake, and the best Birthday card from Flora. Your cup runneth over (even if you did have to make the cake, yourself)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you know- if you want a job done well, do it yourself! And I do think that jesus might be the jealous type...his Dad sure is!

      Delete
  12. This sounds wonderful. So glad Erik made it home and your daughter the elf is darling! Love that outfit. I suspect you'll hold on to Flora Jane's letter forever. I sure would! Stick that one in your earthquake evacuation box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earthquake evacuation emergency pack- Oh yes, thank you I had not thought of that!! You have saved the day!

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday magical woman! So glad Erik was with you and Flora’s card is definitely one for posterity—you must frame the original art and it pristine translation, so loving and practical, making sure all the choices remain yours, and you are loved regardless and yes indeed, she is ready to run a literary empire, toddler vogue in those spectacles, as you say, LIT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you xo, - toddler vogue- It really should be a thing!!

      Delete