Before the day became windy and dark- Dennis went for a walk and brought back a periwinkle from the yard. Survivor! He brought back some roses from cost co to use on the table- From glitter last year to mother nature this year- I clipped snow berries from the yard and added those to the boughs and roses. Pine cones from Janny's tree.
Bring in the dirt! Using battery powered candles because Dennis hates real ones and I don't trust myself - I seem to allow them to burn into the danger zone.
The snow berries really improve the flora in the the charity shop pot.
I made garlic and "everything spice" butter. I will be putting it on the french bread that really needs something to wake it up.
Changed sheets, did laundry, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed, made a mess , cleaned it up, made Grandma Nelson's yellow cake to be the base for strawberries and cream.
You may recognized the famous woven magic of "Cup On he Bus" , I think I have one in nearly every color- they are superb. I wish Joanne well, I have not heard from her for a while. Have you?-0-
Last night neighbor came over bearing gifts- home made , clever and delicious. Every other year Tanya has started in September making Christmas cookies- all sorts, fancy , time consuming varieties. A huge plate full of better than Martha's -cookies, fudge, divinity, candied pecans, candied orange peel. Rolled chocolate truffles- I could go not but instead I will tell you what she did this year.
The best christmas bread ever- cranberries and orange.- Sweet enough but extra special pizazz - tart cranberries and tangy orange. POW!
BALLS! How genius ! Balls filled with cocoa mix to drop into hot milk or coffee , drink and get diabetes. How did she make these? See how generous they are! So clever!
To top it off she made and bottled , in a cute bottle, limoncello . I gave them a bag of stuff- Packaged foody things from Greece, Italy, England and France, but , really- so inferior . Tanya is the queen of Christmas.
Waiting for Erik- he is driving up from Portland today. Just texted that he has passed Seattle. What a looooong drive! He must leave on the 24th early enough to go to work - so, what's that- about 4:00 in the morning. Dang, darling, I appreciate the effort to be here for my BD, but you know how Mom's are- rather not have him do the horrid trip. Driving thought Seattle and the few towns farther is not a nice adventure.
So that is that- Tomorrow everyone will be here and I will still be making food- last minute. Grandma Nelson's cake, waiting for whipped cream and strawberries- more sugar! We're all going to die!
Small cream ware vases from Ikea that work well as individual little bouquet vases. I bought four of them at the thrift store- not everyone will get their own personal bouquet but that is OK, there is not enough room on the table. Crochet poodle bottle cover that I got from Stella last year... I know you are jealous....










Dang! you set a lovely table. I feel badly for Erik, the drive to Portland from Seattle is bad enough. We used to make the trek sometimes for Thanksgiving. Traffic was generally awful. The chocolate bombs are art.
ReplyDeleteThat drive is not soon forgotten is it? Another reason to not go anywhere! He made it in good time- yes, there was traffic but he is young and it doesn't seem to bother him as much as it does WE who remember being queens of the road- two car traffic!
DeleteHappy birthday! I imagine raccoons sitting up at the table on their little bums😄
ReplyDeleteCranberry orange and chocolate bombs—oooooo
You said you weren’t into birthdays because it’s silly to celebrate yourself – – you should celebrate the mother who gave you birth –
– so, how perfectly appropriate that Erik is driving all that way to do just that – – to celebrate you, his mother! ❤️
That visual delights the hell out of me! Yes celebrate the MOM, which I do every day- I have her in the dining room and I always ask her opinion re: how to build a cake, how to be gracious...I miss her not being in her mortal coil - ashes are not good hug givers.
DeleteMerry chocolate bombs to you and the wee red heads. The best bombs!
It all looks so beautiful! 💖💖 Merry Christmas to all who come there.
ReplyDeletehappy Merry Glad tidings , and deck the halls and silent night to you. I hope that Santa brings something extraordinary to light up your holiday.
DeleteYour table looks phenomenal. Sharing a festive meal with all the people you love (and they love you) sounds fabulous. Happy B-day Linda Sue!
ReplyDeleteYour neighbor must love to cook and bake, and her skill is extraordinary. I can't imagine the time she puts forth to prepare everything. She clearly likes holiday/special occasion gift giving and has to be a very kind, generous and thoughtful person.
I'm thinking of Erik and wish him safe travels. Our roads were busy today too.
My neighbor is so remarkable - everything she does is unbelievably perfect, creative and top flight! What a woman. What a gift!
DeleteTraveling on the holidays has always been a fright- seems to be more so these days. But then I grew up where there was no traffic at all so traveling was a breeze! Can;t get used to population.
The last time I heard from Joanne was Oct. 21. She had fallen and broken her hip and was in recovery. Emailed her Nov. 23 and she has not responded.
ReplyDeleteYou always set the most beautiful table. You make bread, you make art, is there anything you don't do beautifully?
That is the last I heard from her as well. and that seems ages ago!
DeleteWell, lots of things are not done beautifully. Impatience is my buddy- and you know how that can go!
I'm with everyone else on your table, just beautiful, you have the eye! Best wishes to the Road Warrior, I do not envy him that drive. Happy Christmas to you all.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had the eye...one that is not diseased, dammit! Happy and merry and birtght to you as well. down yonder in the sunshine.
Deletehappy birthday! and the table is lovely. tins of christmas cookies are too die for. years ago in a christmas visit to germany my girlfriend's daughter baked dozens of cookies for the holidays. cookies could be pulled out for guests and gifts. yes -- i want a crocheted poodle! and the reminder of orange cranberry bread -- just the thing to make as i still have lots of fresh cranberries. happy christmas!
ReplyDeletekirsten
Crochet Poodle is Santa's favorite dog..I am hoping. Santa may leave a playmate for her- a real live one- wouldn't that be swell? Good idea to start early baking cookis=es and bars and nibbly bits. One never know for sure when folks will drip by and need something sweet and biscuitty.
DeleteHappy birthday you darling, beautiful, amazing woman. You are an artist, the sweetest, most generous soul, a wonder in the kitchen, a lover of animals, and the beloved of so many.
ReplyDeleteAnd a whole lot more.
Sending you huge amounts of love and wishes for many, many more years and may most of them be devoid of you-know-who.
mary you are such a sweetheart- I will take all of that and put it im my pocket for a rainy day- oh wiat, every day is a rainy day...Thank you.
Delete2026 has got to be better- the orange man will explode and all will return to sort of normal.
Such a devoted hostess! Lovely table, happy birthday!
ReplyDeleteSafe travels for Erik.
Thank you- happy jesus day
DeleteGorgeous table, festive and Happy! Love the idea of the chocolate Santa's in the center of your plates! Crackers too, I see! We have some mini ones which I forgot to bring out last year! JanF
ReplyDeleteI get the crackers on the Hannegan- "The olde English shop"- they are nice ones with little British things inside- Dennis got a metal phone box and I got a whisk. Grand daughter stole the phone box- rascal! I was going to steal it.
DeleteCan I move into the neighbor's other side? Wow -- that cranberry orange bread looks to die for. Your table is so pretty. I hear you on the battery candles too. I either put them in the wrong place or forget to blow them out! Onward!
ReplyDelete