My Blog List

Monday, September 22, 2025

ccoming home, micro wave killer, and a memorial


 X-ray of Broken clavicle - does that look to you like it would heal on its own? Right - so surgery is scheduled for the lad October first. After which there may be nerve damage - it is a delicate area.  And so he slings along until then, unable to do much. Pain meds and one handed living for now.

-0-

 When Stella and I left in the morning to catch the ferry, it looked like this-


 Ferry was 35 minutes late due to fog- we went anyway and what do you know, we got on an earlier ferry just in time! Our lucky day! Drove to Whidbey Island, had a look around Coupville, nice little town. Pretty quiet , though there were too many people milling around...more than ten is too many! Whidbey is one of our favorite places. We both agree that we could live there as long as we avoided the military base.


The place we planned to have lunch was rented out to a private party so on we went to LaConner. A mighty good choice.  Fish and chips at the tavern on the deck- enough deep fried goodness to lube our insides for this lifetime.

From there we hit the thrift shop,  a reasonable ending to our travels. The shop is really cheap and sometimes has something worthy for purchase, Here is Stella parting with a dollar...



Reluctantly we came home. She to her little dog and me to Mr. Grumpy Pants. In a snit over the removal of the micro wave . It is very old, used all of the time and just turned nasty! Smoke billowing.  To get the micro wave off and out he used logic and physics and two by fours and blocks of wood . It was a production !  SUCCESS! It is on the floor now and there is an empty space above the real stove where our old wall paper hides.  


Now looking for another micro wave  that will suit our needs. 

 

So , that was our one big  Stella adventure- a couple of days- something we absolutely must do more often.  Mental -health- get -away...neither of us tuned into the world of bad stupid news for three days and felt better for it. 

Yesterday Dennis and I went to Maggie's memorial at the ferry terminal , over 200 people showed up for a very nice afternoon of remembering Maggie. 




That is the little ferry that used to take us to Victoria. Now it only goes to the San Juan Islands or whale watching. Everyone misses the ride up to Victoria. It is an ordeal to get there now. Bummer of a change. 
Surprisingly remembering Maggie was more Lutheran than we expected. Some bible nonsense going on and a sing along hymn of some sort. After the speeches we were invited to join  everyone in the foody  area for a nosh and stories. We left  and did not get  involved in loud conversations about dead Maggie. I still look over at her house in the night to see if her lights are on and to say "good night,Maggie", in my thoughts. Death  is so disagreeable...GONE, for real GONE.  Poof* just like that *, gone. for keeps. 

Here is a photo of a shop  on Water street in Port Townsend. We did not go in. See you another day!
 


 

26 comments:

  1. That x-ray is just unbelievable. What the hell were they thinking, sending him home with the breaks in the bone. STUPID MALFEASANCE. Can he get a contingency fee lawyer and sue the ER that did this? I'm pretty sure one can rent a jack that will life a microwave into place. We had a microwave/convection oven in the RV that weighed about 70 pounds and had to be replaced twice. Two burly men were required for that job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should learn to proof read, that's lift, not life the microwave.

      Delete
    2. after E R he went to a doctor and the doctor gave him the option of having it heal on its own , bloody hell. so i don't know if his will be "elective" surgery or not according to doctor and insurance . Anyway , not much confidence in med pros.
      The micro wave weighs a lot but Dennis handled it, stubborn and sure. Still looking for replacement . I need to see the options and on most of them they are not obvious. Your ordeal sounds like a heavy duty nightmare. 70 pounds TWICE!

      Delete
  2. Youch on the clavicle, that has to be hard for Erik, living one handed and with pain.
    The thrift shop looks marvellous, spacious and airy, is the bottom photo also a thrift shop? The fish looks delicious, so white and flaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fish lept right out of the water, into the batter and fire and on to our plates! Delicious!
      The bottom photo is another little shop across from the tavern. I am not sure what they sell , we did not go in.

      Delete
  3. Erik certainly did a number on that collar bone - sure they are usually left to heal on their own but those bits aren't overlapping; aren't even in contact. Crikey that must hurt - and no way to roll over in bed so disrupted sleep for weeks (not to mention the pain of broken ribs). Don't make the poor guy laugh.
    Nice ferry terminal - not the sort of place I'd think to hire for a wake but probably ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The terminal is rarely used actually, It is large and airy and has an elevator for those needing a lift. Maggie's children put on a decent memorial with slides and music and sandwiches, there was humor but still I teared up a bit. I miss our Maggie as everyone does - death is a bitch.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic getaway for the two of you, I'm a bit jealous.
    And how on any planet would that broken clavicle heal "on its own"??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me- how is that supposed to heal hanging there in mid air? dumb assed doctor!

      Delete
  5. You two are great travel companions and this sounds like a perfect getaway -- fun, interesting, productive and beautiful. LOVE that thrift shop -- such light and so big! Sorry about the micro and Eric's clavicle. That looks horribly painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we get older and more compromised we must find smaller adventures and shenanigans to occupy our lust for travel. We both love thrift shops so there is that- not that we buy much anymore. It is entertaining and does not slap us silly with extraordinarily high price objects.

      Delete
  6. House of Faun looks pretty fabulous. That clavicle break is unbelievable. I can't imagine what the doctors were thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctor's opinion of healing on its own does not exactly instill trust or confidence does it? Poor Erik, he is such a trooper -I have not heard one complaint.

      Delete
  7. I feel terribly about what Erik has experienced and now he's supposed to wait, in pain for surgery. This is likely going to take some time to heal after surgery.
    Your foggy morning looks eerie. Boating in the fog is fun; seeing nothing and then suddenly, see everything when fog lifts!
    Whidbey looks good to me. The shop in Townsend looks phenomenal, the signage out front draws me in totally.
    RIP Maggie. Saying that final goodbye is always hard.
    Good work Dennis. This is no simple task. I know. During Covid my wall oven failed right before Thanksgiving and my family/friend dinner celebration. The appliance store that outfitted my entire kitchen previously could not get me a new oven for the holiday.
    I found an oven with the exact same dimensions and wattage requirements and told my son he had to arrive home a day or two before Thanksgiving to help install the wall oven. I found YouTube videos on how to get the job done and...it worked.
    Improvising becomes more important every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveling in fog is entertaining! Suddenly something appears feet from your nose that was obscured completely -just a breath away. Your tale of oven woe sounds like you handled it well. Son and you tube bailed you out nicely. No panic, no cancellation-You tube bails me out frequently and I am grateful to not have to struggle through a handiman's instruction book! Being shown is better than decifering...Well done you!

      Delete
  8. Your thrift shops are ten thousand percent better than ours.
    Poor Eric. Damn. That does look bad. When I broke my ribs I wondered how in hell they were supposed to find their ends and knit back. I still have no idea. But that clavicle does look extremely displaced.
    Dennis and Glen share many traits in common. Stubbornness among them. The microwave Glen's put up in the kitchen at the lake, above the stove, is so high I need a step stool to operate it. Sigh.
    You are so lucky to have Stella and she you. Have I said this recently? Probably. Oh well. It's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the world fell apart the men folk we know who be like"I can put this together, by myself, stay out of the way and hand me my hammer"...The micro wave must be visible, the buttons and choices- because i can not see them if they are obscured by stainless steel style and fashion. I could live without a micro wave...The man could not. Also it is safer for him as things are forgotten on the cooker and burn up! Easy to get distracted.
      Stella loves an adventure as much as I do - She can still drive and knows left from right and up from down, which I have never in my life known.

      Delete
  9. House of Faun. Life is weird. How could you not go in there.

    Hard to believe a hospital couldn't deal with Erik's broken clavicle but then when I took Marc to the hospital in Bay City (pop less than 20,000) they did not have a pulmonologist on staff. When he didn't respond to treatment they sent him to a bigger hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portland is a big city with many hospitals- I think it is an insurance issue, Erik's age and resources and the effed system we have in Umurka.

      Delete
    2. We were not in the mood to go into that shop having been disappointed by the entire town. EFF them we said and moved on!

      Delete
    3. My God Linda Sue, that X-ray is horrifying, I cannot believe those ER docs released him with that displaced fracture, that is malpractice! Hope he can get that properly repaired, and soon!

      Delete
    4. JIM, not only the ER doctors but his physician sent him home with a hand ful of pain meds...Waiting with that much pain for surgery is unforgivable. I just hope that the surgeon is a GOOD one!

      Delete
  10. No wonder folks are getting addicted to pain meds, if doctors are expecting people to get through injuries like this without actually treating them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broken bones, broken health "care", broken country...where to start?

      Delete
  11. Been a while since you posted, are you two ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim, hope you are feeling better...I caught a cold and didn't feel very chatty but all is well. Thank you for asking! XO

      Delete