My Blog List

Tuesday, April 29, 2025

tulips, flowers, little people, and one hundred days.

Tulip time waning- still splendid-  little cousins,  adding to the field's perfection! Ages 3.5 and 2.5- Emmett went as well and played in the dirt, as a lad ought to do. Cara sent these photos just now. I did not go this year, again. I have only gone once. Though it is not far I tend to avoid crowded places , which the fields usually are at this time. The kids lucked out.



I went to the import shop to buy more biscuits- they  had two packets of McVities left, half the size of the usual.  I have never seen such small packets of digestives. Flora had me promise to bring her some more, she claimed  that her mom ate them all. I am wondering if there is a recipe somewhere for digestives , I have enough tea to outlast the orange thing but would like to make biscuits- they will not be sold  here anymore.

Shipping has come to a standstill- we will feel it more this summer when the shelves will be empty or just full of american crap. Are we having fun yet? Is america unbelievably rich yet- the most beautiful richest, richer than any country in all  of history? That was the promise of many promises....Big foot is real, fairies live in cabbages and trump is not insane. What ever truth is , it doesn't live in america.

There are a few  flowers blooming here- Clematis from Cost Co. is probably the prettiest one I have ever seen outside of a nursery.


 


Cost Co , of course has the best prices, limited  variety, but top quality.

Curious to see how the orange wrecking ball will effect that business...Dennis's church. Loads of folks are buying NOW, before ghosts take over  the  empty aisles.  We will only  realize what we need when it is no longer available. 



These are becoming themselves, Graceful  , not enough to make  enough opium, for the long haul. I wonder how many poppy seeds it would take to  take the edge off (?) To have a  soft dreamy dream for the remainder of the orange excrement's reign?

Little finch looks hung over, and crispy-  I can't  even drink alcohol anymore- a sip of gin puts me away...I am no fun. I will say that I do not miss the mornings after having imbibed more than a sip of gin, but I do miss the feeling of escape for a minute.  




Emailing a friend this morning- discussing  creativity and the urge to create stuff. She sent a ted talk that was nail on the head accurate- we talk ourselves out of creativity, making things, just doing, because it seems frivolous. I have not been feeling very creative lately, letting the meanies get to me, I guess. Anyway - it is not a lengthy talk- gives permission in a big and excellent cheer-you-on sort of way. Thank you Fresca!

HERE IS THE LINK.


I found this bed sheet in my pile of fabric , forgotten - early 70's? I will ask Flora if she wants it- the colors are right- Girl is liking pastels lately. Pink is her favorite- I can not argue with that! I never could wear pink - I am the wrong color  but I do like pink a lot.

It is evening now- the 100th day- the q-anoners down the street are flying their flag . I hope they get what they voted for...actually , they are getting what they voted for and they think it's all grand. They have been punched in the face but won't feel it for a few months.  Like a dinosaur hit in the  rear  brain,  not realizing that it is a  dead dino  walking...
 

 

 


 

 

26 comments:

  1. The tulip photos are precious - real keepers. It might all be going to hell in a handbasket for you guys but your flowers are colourful - and I love the chives flowers; love the shape and colour. I love to draw and paint them as they escape. I'll find and send you a link for easy yummy biscuits - is golden syrup a thing where you go shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/homemade-digestive-biscuits/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or try these yummy biscuits https://tiggerswee-blog.blogspot.com/2024/02/sultana-biscuits.html

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU!! Just what I need! Digestive recipe looks relatively easy and I have all of the ingredients in the cupboard! GREAT! Now poor little Flora will not have to suffer through tarrifs....at least for anything coming from across the big water. from England. Sultana biscuits sound perfect as well! You can be sure I will try them and eat them all...that is how I do it! All or nothing! Thank you again!

      Delete
    3. oh my, the digestive biscuits look so easy. and i, too, have all the ingredients. at the farmer's market here, a local farm is selling turkey red wheat flour which was brought to kansas by the german mennonites from the ukraine in the 1800s.
      kirsten

      Delete
  3. "Shipping has come to a standstill.." ALL shipping?? Does this mean you cannot buy even from Amazon, which may still have the digestives you like? Does America have its own version of digestives? Probably not as good as McVities. I like their Jaffa Cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been boycotting Amazon- who knows what Jeff BOZO will do.America has cookies, not good biscuits, they tend to be way too sweet and full of preservatives/ palm oil. Jaffa cakes are delish!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link to the video (and thanks to Fresca, too). I am having a moment re: the art thing. I'm going to watch it all but first- off to pottery where all I seem to make is messes and yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. messes are creative and satisfying, especially when results are iffy- it is when the best ideas are born, I reckon. I have learned that expectations for acceptable outcome are futile. Nothing ever turns out for me the way i intened- sometimes , if I allow it to do what ever it wants, the end product is much better than what i had in my head. I love that you are playing with clay and fire!

      Delete
  5. Everything seems to be in bloom in your area. It is very beautiful.
    My neighbors are buying Christmas/birthday presents for their children now and say the stock is low and prices are high. Shipments from abroad to the US are in great decline. No surprise given the governmental decisions.
    Your Costco clematis is outstanding. I agree Costco carries good quality plants/shrubs/trees and you never know what you will see. One year I bought several Blue Spruce trees. No, they were not on my list, but I could envision them on my property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas this year- wow I had not thought of that! Perhaps it will be more of a home grown christmas, home made things that take forever to make. Christmas in the 1930's? Mother wearing her best mended rags? Children happy to have nuts and an orange in their stockings? Cheap, plastic, resin oddities taking a backseat can only be a good thing, right?
      I think that I have enough flannel to make nighties for everyone in the family- though I am not sure sons would appreciate that.
      Blue spruce is an absolute favorite- that was the only sort of tree that was successful in my childhood yard in horrid Wyoming where the wind took out all of the other trees.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh! A Peter Max bedsheet! I love that! If Flora doesn't want it I call dibs. And in return I will be your supply conduit for McVities. :)

    (Seriously, let me know if you want some and I'll send them to you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve- I am going to try to make them, they won't bee the same but better than postage!! I do think that you would like the peter max small sheet more than Flora would. I will see to it!

      Delete
  7. Love the photos of the kids in the tulip fields!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just dived into all the beautiful colorful flowers you posted...what a great experience you gave me, a few moments of eating them up with my eyes! Love the Peter Max sheet! One of the artists of the 70s I just enjoyed thoroughly. Enjoy your biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Peter Max- there was a huge billboard on the border for years welcoming us into Canada- it is gone, and so are we...sad times.

      Delete
  9. My goodness, what loveliness, the children and the flowers. Peter Max took me all the way back, seeing the name in that distinctive font, those distinctive outlines, flat color within. My son works with a lot of those who voted for what's happening now, and they are still on board. It is beyond my capacity to understand so i don't try anymore. I'm husbanding my resources, hoping I'll have them stored up to deploy in a way that matters. Who knows what or when? But oh, those tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "husbanding resources" I like that! so sorry that your son has to put up with idiots- that has got to be draining! Our middle son does as well- sometimes he is actually influenced by them!

      Delete
  10. "husbanding resources" I like that! so sorry that your son has to put up with idiots- that has got to be draining! Our middle son does as well- sometimes he is actually influenced by them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is beauty all around, perhaps enough to spur on a little optimism, though I can see that would be a big stretch at present. Those who know think that the full impact won't hit for another month or two. I think it's horrifying, and even more so that people are so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If intention is narrowed to appreciation of springtime, then we are fine. We are OK.

      Delete
  12. Those photos of the kids in the tulips. Beyond beautiful. I hope you frame one or both of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very pretty1 I would like to paint one of them i think, when my painting urge returns.

      Delete
  13. when the tulips photo popped up, my first thought was "i don't remember her saying she was going to Holland!" but the fields are so beautiful! and the little ones in it add so much. the link to the ted talk was great. my library has her book and i'm on the waiting list. working on art serves to calm the brain when one is most apt to imagine the most awful things coming.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely- doing art or crafts or wood work whatever takes one away into a realm of "lack of control- see what happens" ...resignation to another force/will is so soothing, even if the outcome is an object of questionable worthiness..Like dropping a brush full of color from about two feet above the paper- WOW look what it does! Satisfying wonder! Is it art? Is it valid? depends on the feeling...not the intellect.

      Delete