My Blog List

Thursday, April 6, 2023

painting with a broken credit card found in the rubbish

Under the bed, I finally found some of the paintings I did while staying at the top of a house in Holland Park- the magnificent street where the wealthy live and the embassy's   do business. I found a bent credit card in the  park rubbish. Sarah gave me some paint and I bought some gesso and heavy large cold pressed paper. I used the credit card to apply paint and mess around. and a Q-tip.  I thought that I had tossed these long ago in my getting rid of stuff frenzy.  Glad I didn't , they are a good reminder about using what one has on hand to create whatever.
 

They are not meant to be anything other than playing around with a  broken credit card but I think , in spite of that ,they are OK. and the layering is rather nice. 

Interesting texture. As for artistic merit there may be none but it was fun to play with- up in the attic of the fancy Holland Park  house! 

Looking forward to another trip. I have been reading about air travel lately- clear air turbulence is another climate change danger!


Climate change facts, here we go.

It is a very good factual article about air turbulence, the dangers of and the possibility of NASA inventing a detector.  Adaptation is key.

Stella is leaving for  Finland this summer for only three weeks, but she has a little dog who needs her so...short trip. She will be prepared with snooze pills and a barf bag. 

I found a bag on the street outside a Tesco with this pig , I painted it and Incorporated it into whatever this is:

And of course ,I do agree- eating less bread would be a good idea. Bread addiction is my favorite addiction, especially since opium is illegal...Bread is a soother and makes me so fat that I could steady a plane in turbulence- pretty sure. I really do not mind being a fatty when I am alone. Other people fat shaming  ( as Dennis does) makes me feel terrible as if being a fatty is criminal and I have committed something worse than murder of a child or something.  Fuck that!

Body shaming is the crime.


Above is
Dennis's garage hoard. It smells like petrol and chemicals in there - just waiting for an explosion. Quite a bonfire don't you think.  I do hope that our fire insurance is up to date. Crazy!  I suppose I could at least break down all of the boxes and stash them in a flat pile, that might be the answer. He claims to have a plan for them. We have never been able to park a car in the garage- it has always looked like this, even after it has been cleaned up . For about twenty minutes it was! 

Every time there is an empty spot it gets filled. That is how it works.


I could say that I am just as guilty of hoarding crap, but I am not. These paintings under the bed took up exactly 9"X6" X 1/2 inch. and now I am willing to toss them having seen them again. The last one looks like covid.

Hoarding is a strange mindset. Maybe it is a fear of not having enough, a product of growing up poor and wanting? I must take that into consideration.

21 comments:

  1. I don't feel nearly so bad about my garage now. Thank you, Dennis! Linda, I really like these paintings, especially the berries and the first one. They have an energy about them. The y might not be ones you want to keep but there's not a thing wrong in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis's goal is to make everyone else feel better about their hoard. Success!

      Delete
  2. I love your credit card art. Wow! Truly beautiful, Linda. I may have mentioned this before... I call myself a bread-a-holic. I love bread. I could live on bread. Toast is my favorite meal. Wow! That is a lot of empty boxes in your garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where the boxes came from either!
      Bread is my BREAD!! I can not not eat bread!

      Delete
  3. Oh, please do not throw these paintings away! Especially the one of the lady with her head on her hand, her legs crossed. I think you have no idea how good you are.
    I think I would like to have a little talk with Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I am about to put sourdough in the oven.

      Delete
    2. thank you for your generous comment, Ms. Mary. AND good to know that your bread is going into the oven right now. YUM.

      Delete
  4. Dear Robin: Toast is my favorite meal, too. With butter and a little jam (not jelly) and a side of a scoop of ice cream. I do like your credit card art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne-- I love knowing that toast is your favorite meal too. And yes, definitely with jam... not jelly.

      Delete
    2. here's a toast to toast! cheers, ladies!

      Delete
  5. You think those paintings are okay? I think they are fabulous! They should be framed and hung on a wall. The garage on the other hand is a disgrace and a fire hazard, those boxes should be flattened and stacked all inside just one big one to keep them neat. And much easier to drag outside in case of fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for liking the credit card paintings. kind of fun to mush paint around that way. The garage is horrid, always has been. but that is his territory. A fire could make him change the direction but then we would be homeless...so...yeah, strange.

      Delete
  6. that pile of boxes is a fire waiting to happen. you should collapse them and recycle the cardboard. he will never notice. you and Boud, more artist than I. y'all just do it and I dither around because I can't think of what to do. I have all these watercolors, paper, brushes and do NOTHING because I can't think of what to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do not throw those paintings away, they are beautiful, what a talent you have! I am certain the City of B'Ham has a recycling program.......:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. recycling is available for sure, but someone's collection has another idea...

      Delete
  8. Please don't throw those credit card paintings away, they're wonderful. How big are they? If you don't want them, I would love to have them. I am so envious of your ability to make things. In Tucson we used a service called Junk N Dump after we moved. They came and took it all in a short period of time. Boxes, rusty garden stuff, doors, all of it - begone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just re-read the post and saw the dimensions. I'm still in for the art! They're gorgeous.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Allison, but really they are not fabulous. If they are headed in the general direction of GONE I will let you know.

      Delete
  9. Those paintings would be amazing even if you'd used top-quality brushes. The fact that you used a bent credit card makes them even MORE amazing.

    I am very curious about Dennis's "plan" for all those boxes. I think the best plan is the recycling bin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Linda Sue, I so feel this! Our garage is so crammed there’s a narrow path to the washing machine and that’s the only bit of clear space. I think about 12sq inches is mine. Best of luck, hope nothing combusts.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG!!!

    As a former art dealer, I'm wondering how it is you can still (how long has it been?) not see the quality of your work.

    I have no idea how well you know Ms. Moon, River, Jim Davis and Allison, but as you can tell from their reactions, throwing them away isn't EVEN up for consideration!

    Are you still painting? If so, is there a way to see your work? Our walls are full, but as I travel I frequently visit with gallery directors and they are ALWAYS on the lookout for exceptional work. A website or, at mininum, a presence on Flickr is necessary.

    ReplyDelete