One day of sunshine and everything just POPS, color, light , enough to put your eye out. I did wear my sunglasses for the first time in like, EVER.
Old crab apples from last year that never dropped, new ones coming on. I rather like that idea of the old crabs living with the new borns.
I thought that this was some sort of azalea or rhody relative, Looked it up on my phone- Japanese Andromeda, it is, but you probably already knew that. A beauty.
Flora Jane got her oaty beverage, Kim and I had americanos, plus a scone and a cookie. Flora is interested in coffee...when we were not looking she did help herself to Kim's. She may be a live wire tonight for her Mama. She has a mouth nearly full of teeth now, I knew that you were just dying to know...and they are the most beautiful little mouth stones I have ever seen.
Walked back through the neighborhood, utterly charming it is too. Chatted with the neighbor about her garden - the guy that lives next door makes me want to dump round-up on his lawn, such a meanie. Called the city to "report" the woman for a messy garden and a tree growing one inch over the alley way. What a jerk, The city did come and told her the job must be done or they will send someone to do it and send her the bill. Jerk is likely a Magat.No other explanation .
I just got home and the door bell rang- the little girls next door brought me bouquets that they had picked. So sweet! They were so proud of this gift.
Lucy, the oldest said that she loved blue bells, and as luck would have it, this morning I noticed one struggling through the front porch . I gave it to her. she thought it interesting how the flowers of blue bells did not look up at the sun, like other flowers. They look at their feet.
Flowers, sunshine and little girls- so encouraging I think I may live another day.
I awoke with such a sadness, for the earth and for beautiful children just coming into this messed up time- listened to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole for about an hour, heaping more melan on my melancholy mood. So, going to Flora Jane's , seeing Emily and Kim certainly changed the direction of that! Whew! Good medicine!
IZ takes my heart to a place of utter beauty and despair.
We were on Maui , I had never heard that voice before. In a book shop "Aloha Ka Manini" and "Kaleohano"played - hit my heart like a cupid's arrow the size of a truck. Stopped me dead in my tracks, that voice! I just had to find that man and give him a hug, all of my money, everything I hold sacred, THAT VOICE!!! Only to find out that he had died, age 38, just one year before. Music is magic- great music is transcendental. He does make me weep, and love hard and FEEL so deeply.
Lovely IZ. The man of the islands.








I absolutely LOVE his music. Over The Rainbow is on my funeral playlist.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, that is a funeral hit!!
DeleteThe flower displays are all lovely, Flora stealing a sip of coffee is funny. Pissy neighbour needs to stay inside if he doesn't like what he sees.
ReplyDeleteShe made a face, She probably thought it would be sweet.
Deletea lovely day and just the right antidote for melancholy.
ReplyDeleteMelancholy happens doesn't it. Sometimes we just have to sit with it...
DeleteSweet kids and flowers to balance out a day-in-the-life.
ReplyDeleteFlora - all toothy and drinking Americanos. Look out world.
Oh for sure!! Flora is so ready for this life!
DeleteLove seeing the flowers blooming there. So beautiful. We have some of IZ's music on our iPhone. That voice, that beautiful beautiful voice.
ReplyDeleteFor anyone to open their mouths and have that sound come out is astonishing- plus he was a genuine lovely generous sweet guy. Genetics not in his favor.
DeleteWhat a beautiful post. Thank you. We need to be reminded that there is still so much beauty and hope and the voice of IZ still with us even though he is not. I am tearing up, just thinking of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
ReplyDeleteYes, he nailed it!
DeleteYou're so right about the color and all. You're ahead of us but good sneak previews. I love that song so much. What a sad early death.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the link to Kaleohana. It's wonderful to see a culture that appreciates sentiment, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteAnd the explanation by the fellow who posted is...AMAZING!
Danke Schön!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKaleohanO. (no brain have I)
ReplyDeleteI don't understand neighbors like that. Honestly, doesn't the world have enough conflict?!
ReplyDeleteSo does she have to take down the entire tree? Why do people suck so badly?
ReplyDeleteMy recent obsession is children's teeth. Pre-pubescent. Little white stones. I'd hate to be bit.
ReplyDelete