My Blog List

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

The rags and the not rags, a baby teaches her Orca to swim

I asked him if he had anything for me to take to Ragfinery. He gave me three articles. This was one. His navy shirt from when he was 18 and very tiny. So that would be 1955 I am thinking-I would have been in the third grade. Anyway, I took it out of the pile of three and will be saving it for another 80 years, I suppose, as if anyone will be around by then, right?

I did not come home empty handed.Taking things in was a great excuse to go back to get this thing that I did not buy the last time I was there- I had a think about it. My think told me to bring it home. It is made of  tiny tufts of fur (mouse?rabbit?dog? cat?) knit into this neck warmer. At first I thought it was feathers because it feels a bit like the quills have been left in. Closer examination reveals that the quill feeling is actually minuscule hide - tiny tufts knitted into wool, sweet. What am I going to do with it? Dunno but who cares- there are nukes floating about as well as  so much madness, and the earth is shaking us off- so, eat  all of the pie, buy a baby bunny neck warmer, live until you die!

-0-

Afternoon I watched our Flora for about five hours or so. That child is too much fun- into all things all at once but easily distracted if one thing is not especially good for an 18 month old. She did try to teach her toy Orca how to swim in the dog's water bowl ,  and , with excellent precision, dumped all of it- on her , the floor and everything within a six foot radius. The house is old, and slanted, made more obvious by the river flowing downhill toward the cupboards.  She was drenched - did not mind at all, but the dog was worried, tip toeing around with an "Oh NO, am I in trouble?" look . 

Here are a couple of her photos that she took with my phone, her favorite thing to dink with...


Teaching the dog about - not sure- but clearly something that held their interest for one minute. 


She has a few real English words now but still laughs when I make her dolly say Goo goo Gah Gah. She thinks that is hilarious. Her dolly is not smart.

I called Erik while I was there to show him a little video of Flora in action. He got laid off yesterday so is home , making bread. He is eating it with tons of melted butter and rosemary, thinking about nukes and the madness of the world- Why not eat fresh hot bread with loads of butter? I can think of no reason not to.


A fifty cent bag full of scrap fabric plus a generous piece Mexican oil cloth, bright and happy. I might make an uncomfortable cushion  for the little uncomfortable Mexican chair for Flora. It's a bitch to sew but now that I have my machines in working order I should get it done in no time. I have a jar full of swears to throw at this project. 


12 comments:

  1. This is a fun-filled post, thank you. The oilcloth is very bright. Flora, too, is very bright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- why not get the bunny wrap? Those creatures have been dead for eons now. I bet it's the softest thing in the world.
    Except for Flora's cheeks. What a busy child she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the bunny wrap is soft and warm and light so , I may even wear it! The work of it is amazing. Glad it waited for me to make up my mind about buying it. It was not the price, min you, it was cheap, just that so I really want to add to my treasures at this point?

      Delete
  3. I had a rabbit fur coat when I was in junior high. I loved it, so soft. Then the fur got torn, I don't remember how. I need to go through my clothes and get rid of some stuff but no fabulous shop to take them to. or get great stuff from. Erik laid off from the clay/pottery place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pottery place is failing due to covid and the repercussions , so Erik was the last one to get the boot. On we go- into the dismal future!

      Delete
  4. Flora is adorable and full of sweet energy. I love that she was teaching the orca to swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She also fed her baby things that were in my purse- like lip gloss and eye drops.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear about little Flora...and the Orca! Love rabbit fur. Enjoy it for whatever you wish. Pretty fabric will be fun to work with (swears and all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon the swears will bail me out. First I have to make space to sew in- I do make quite a mess.

      Delete
  6. Ach, so sorry that Erik is laid off. I used to comment to Jim, that after decades at our former employer, I would have zero idea of how to find another job. Here's hoping Erik is good at finding new work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he is an artist so the pickings are slim. He can do other things but less passionately plus he is not optimistic about any sort of future on this planet so going back for a masters degree seems futile. He will be OK. I am sure, he always is.

      Delete