My Blog List

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Troll, Flora at the office

--------------------------------Washington-----------------------------------

The Fremont troll -- a big, fearsome, car-crushing bruiser -- took up residence under the north end of the Aurora bridge on Halloween 1990. He was sculpted by house builder Steve Badanes -- who had never made a statue before -- two of his University of Washington architecture students, Will Martin and Ross Whitehead, and his then-girlfriend Donna Walter. Badanes's design for head-and-shoulders sculpture won a contest sponsored by the Fremont Arts Council.

The shaggy troll, 18 feet tall, glares southward with his shiny metal eye -- a Volkswagen Beetle hubcap. In his left hand he crushes the rest of the old-style Beetle, which originally contained a time capsule of Elvis memorabilia; it was removed after the car was vandalized and the California license plate was stolen (The crushed car and out-of-state plate were meant as protests against "outsider" development). There are plenty of places to pose, and interaction with the troll is encouraged as long as you're respectful.

 

(photo by Soxygal)

The community pays tribute to the troll every October 31st with a mobile "Troll-o-ween" party, starting under the bridge and wandering to other funky art sites and events in Fremont. Of which there are plenty: Fremont is also home to the largest Lenin statue in the U.S.

Every few years something weird happens in the troll's vicinity to bring it back into the news. In 1998, for example, a man shot a bus driver and ran the bus off the Aurora bridge, crashing on top of an apartment building adjacent to the troll -- for a while you could still see evidence of the impact. In late 2013 over a dozen bloody sheep skulls mysteriously appeared in a yard adjacent to the troll, perhaps the remains of its midnight snack.

 -0-

The orphans decided to take our troll out for a breath of fresh air. 

He can be cranky but for the most part he watches over the orphans. I think he was the third object I felted in my felting life and he looks so much like my Dad that he will stay here being a grumpy caretaker. I got a bit carried away and used a lot of my wool. After this Dad troll I resorted to smaller trolls, easier, quicker - fast sellers at the festival of light fair. Wool went farther for a dollar.

-0-

Yesterday Flora was busy in her office.


 All the while taking care of her two kids! She also sorted dinosaurs and read  a few books.

She is a gal on the go!

I was mistaken about the vanilly baby- Flora already had a small baby that smells the same but even more strongly of vanilla. so, The French Bebe went to stay with its little sister and Flora Jane.  

Her children are well behaved but a handful none the less. French bebe has blinky eyes - miraculously and bravely the bebe does not cry or flinch when eyes are examined by prodding poking fingers.  The dinosaurs adorned the  top of waffles. We have had two family parties at the waffle/brewery. I collected the dinosaurs and have plenty. Organizing her office, Flora put them in the jar, took  them out of the jar, stirred them with a toothbrush, dumped them on the dollies, taught them how to say "shit".

 I would say the dinosaurs had a great time. Flora doesn't say much, but she does say "shit" very clearly. Endearing. She's our girl!

I will be going over again today and on Friday. I hope that Flora can cope with old granny energy. She does not seem to mind - she knows that I am hers one hundred percent and will allow all sorts- like going through my purse with all of the zippers. No worries, I put things in purse that are for her and hide the other stuff behind my back. She knows  but is kept too busy to mind.


Rain forced them back inside, where  cranky troll likes to guard the living room.  He moves from room to room and has chosen the living room as his favorite. Rain is NOT his favorite.


 




 

 

17 comments:

  1. I love that Flora's baby dolls are brown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trolls! Somehow I have lost the Three Billy Goats Gruff book and Levon is so sad. It is one of his favorites and it is full of trolls. They are REALLY ugly trolls and if your dad had looked like one of them, he would have had to cover his head whenever he went out.
    Flora is growing up so nicely! What a good mother she is- bringing her children to work. Lucky for her they are well-behaved. Also lucky for her to have her Grandmama Linda Sue. What does she call you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she calls everyone, "dada".
      Trolls in Norway are very unattractive! Scary- nothing cute about them- they are part of the earth and will eat children as well as rocks. They do not like to eat adult humans but still, one must be wary.

      Delete
  3. That troll sculpture is fascinating -- very cool and very creepy! I think I like the Orphans' troll better! And Flora. We all love Flora!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your felting skills are wonderful. Did you ever teach a class at the local toy store? I took one there once and just about managed to make a little black cat!
    I have a wonderful "walking" Pedigree black boy doll I have had now for 70 years. I think I wanted him just abut the time people from the islands started to live and work in the U.K. He still has his original clothes except for the Panama hat ( it fell apart) and his shoelaces! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught a class once but it was here at the house and there were nine folks stabbing wool. It was hilarious.
      You little boy doll sounds like he is well kept- wow, 70 years , well done, kept before during and after the move! He must be worthy!

      Delete
  5. Flora, like any good child, does not know those babies are brown, let alone a different race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope baby is baby to be loved and put to bed in new cradle

      Delete
  6. I see a kind of sorcerer in the felted guy, but of course he's yours to name. I do like him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could well be a sorcerer. I am not sure i would fancy the sort of magic he may conjure though.

      Delete
  7. That's a magnificent Troll and your felted one is also magnificent. I always love seeing the orphans and Flora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was a lot of stabbing! I used rabbit fur for his hair and alpaca for his skin.

      Delete
  8. Karen F here: And here I was thinking about you surviving the grey of yesterday and today and wondering if that would be possible, and reading, I now see that you were with Flora basking in her energy. That's the best way to get through the grey. The sunny climes don't have Flora...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a fun baby! Great timing too. Kim is in Arizona for a little while taking care of death things , so I get to take up the slack. Flora is at the perfect age right now.

      Delete
  9. That's quite a story about the troll sculpture, and I like your homemade version too! Flora is such a character. She's really into those Post-It notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. post -its are most entertaining! Official office work, you understand and they stick to your feet when you walk. Best invention ! Thank you Romy and Michelle.....

      Delete