My Blog List

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Lichen, sexy moss, soup of champions

What is left of our fence, which is the same vintage as the house, 1970's, has become a gorgeous garden of lichen and moss. Especially cute, the cladonia fimbriata lichen, or trumpet cup, holds a rain drop like a crown They open in the morning and close during the day. So tiny they are easily overlooked , just more green stuff.

They prefer the corners of protection, where slats meet posts. The rest of the fence is more diverse.
 

Along the exposed roots of the cherry tree  are cushions of Entondon Seductrix, sometimes called shiny sexy moss. it is, If I were very small I would make it my bed and possibly seduce a handsome bug. Versatile, can grow just about anywhere and in all sorts of climates and weather though this PNW  cool/ water climate suits it best.

Juniper haircap  is also common,  it's also everywhere, ours seems to prefer the shady side of the cherry tree. 

That is the state of green in the yard these days, under grey misty heavy skies. Mosses and lichen love this weather.



I picked up a cold bug at the house of Flora, but nipped that sucker in the bud. 

Bone broth chicken/ginger/garlic/ kale/chard/pumpkin seed soup.

Plus a load of zinc and vitamin C and D. Slept until 8:00am.

I did take too many vitamins, had to upchuck in the night- too much is sometimes too much! Today is pretty much normal, just a little scratchy and a little nose throbbing itchiness. I have not had a cold since 2018 when Sarah and I went on our little road trip to Northumberland. Invariably I get a cold when I travel.


Anyway, well enough to mind Flora last night. What a fun little child she is, too!

I gave her some markers , washable- she liked pink best . Tip of nose and cheek pink.

Pad tai, almond butter, squash and apple for dinner. She knows a few ASL signs that are helpful before words can be spoken.

She is thrilled to see you sign back . Understanding!


Dennis yet again bought what the promoter in Cost Co was selling- non stick pans. He has been buying non sick pans for years. They invariably become dangerous land fill. I do not use them, I have two cast iron pans that were my mother's from the forties and have held up very well. Plus they are only dangerous if you get hit with them. Our kitchen is not big enough to house more kitcheny stuff, but there you go. I also have a cast iron wok that takes up a lot of space - priorities right? Good old cast iron, can't be beat.

https://www.foodmatters.com/article/is-your-cookware-safe

When the environmentally correct people come to take our gas cooker away , replacing it with electricity,  I will use my cast iron skillet as more of a weapon than it's intended purpose.  Gas just cooks better and the  primal flame is a comfort. That little flame is the best we can do. Wood fire has been outlawed. Our fireplace is  a stone cold space- taker- upper holding plants and a flamingo grow light- fine for them but does nothing for  the soul. 

 

 

ewww this about fungus among us 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8&t=156sab_channel=BBCStudios

 

 And this is something cool for charity shops!


11 comments:

  1. I am always delighted when I stop and take the time to actually study mosses and lichens and even fungi close up. It's like nature's way of telling us to slow down and LOOK! Look at this! Isn't it amazing? You have some spectacular ones there.
    Speaking of spectacular- Flora! And I love her serving dish. Can hardly call it a plate. With her pink marker make-up on she looks even more like a doll.
    Your soup could probably cure anything.
    As to cookware- I use cast iron, stainless steel, and enamel coated iron. That is all and that is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would use the best and correct kitchen ware for cooking- makes sense. Watching Flor's brain kick in and learn so quickly just blows me away. Are all babies as smart as she??

      Delete
  2. I love seeing the moss and lichen there. Lichen is such an interesting little complicated life form. I was out photographing some on a tree at the marsh just the other day.
    Flora is adorable with her little pink nose. She is such a cutie!
    It's hard to imagine a future without gas stoves, and yet I think it may be coming. I've read that there's been improvement to electric stoves... I just don't know about how true it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's hard to imagine a future at all. Quick changes - hard to catch up!

      Delete
  3. ASL? Well done Flora! daughter K (aka no-one) learnt ASL, but the Australian one, so she could interpret for the deaf or hard of hearing patients in the hospital. I thought about learning it but never got around to it.
    K also has cast iron cookware and it is way too heavy for me to handle. I have a cast aluminium frypan which is too big for my stove here and a couple of "Le Creuset" casserole dishes, that I only use a few times each winter to make large casseroles for freezing individual portions of. They are too heavy to use often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never too late to learn signing- it is a most expressive and organic language and does come in handy. You can learn on line. I took a class but never use it so like all languages rarely used the skill disappears.

      Delete
  4. I used to know the ASL word spelling signs, but was never proficient. Flora is, as always, adorable. It's pretty cool that babies can learn to sign before they're able to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Signing makes sense. Babies are so much smarter than given credit for just need the tools. Communication is clear!

      Delete
  5. I think I mentioned seeing this bumper sticker I love that read:
    "I'd rather be consumed by moss."
    But lichen is even cooler. More flora, less fauna!
    --Fresca

    ReplyDelete