My Blog List

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

snow chubby rain, prints, and fish

It is raining snow and didn[t i mention that the sunny Sunday would be a day of myth? Sky is dark, snow is falling mixed with chubby rain.
 
I have filled the bird feeder twice this morning. Everyone is hungry.


Yesterday i used the last of the spot prawns and cod to make a diabetes lunch for the man. The prawns are delicious, like tiny lobster, so sweet and rich. BUT frozen seafood just does not do it for us so I cancelled our next order and closed the book on that company.  There is nothing like fresh caught wild seafood right off of the hook- we are spoiled that way.
Dennis had a boat that he bought from a friend as the friend's wife took me out to watch the horses eat carrots- pretty sure she did not want me to voice my opinion . She hated that boat and wanted to get rid of it quick. Anyway , Dennis bought the boat , a glass ply stinker. We took it out a few times and usually caught Ling Cod off of Patos island.We anchored in Inati bay where shelter was good. When this photo was taken, we had not caught anything and resorted to potatoes for dinner. Anyway that boat was a POS. Lingered in the driveway for years - a tree grew out of it - the children used it for a club house. Finally , not that long ago, someone took it and the trailer for free- who knows what became of it.
Point being - fresh caught wild cod/salmon whatever is just hard to beat even though the fish company from Alaska tries to keep  their fish as fresh as possible, it just is not...Plus it is very expensive. Not as expensive as buying a shite boat , however, but our boat fishing, clubbing ling cod until they are no longer thrashing days are over. Sad, not sad...

16 comments:

  1. Living in Tucson all those years took sea food right off the table. It's just awful. Spokane has turned out to not be much better. And then there are the prices. We looked at Costco, but they only sell it by the vat, we'd never finish it all, and so the price would be even higher than what's on the label. So, no fish for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want fresh caught wild salmon right off the hook I guess you have to catch it yourself. Buy a boat and head to Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful that my husband does still fish. When he gets the deep sea fish we eat as much as we can, freeze some, and then eat that quick. Luckily, there are seafood markets around here where you can get truly fresh Gulf shrimp, fresh as can be unless you were eating it on the boat out of the nets. It is gray here today too but warm. Almost too warm.
    I am impossible to please today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being impossible is a motivating factor I reckon.

      Delete
  4. As a mountain person, I envy those of you who have access to fresh seafood. I don't envy the potential of ending up with a shite boat.
    You gonna tell us what you're pointing at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pointing at our failure to catch a cod, pointing at potato.

      Delete
  5. I tend not to eat fresh fish because I never know how fresh it really is. Roger does eat fresh fish, and he used to go clamming at the local beaches here, but hasn't for a while. I do like a bit of smoked salmon on a bagel every now and then.
    The raccoons seem very happy with the lovely meal you provided for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they cute, all fluffy , winter coats dotted with snow flakes.

      Delete
  6. Fish and prawns fresh from the sea are always the best, brush with oil, squeeze of lemon or lime and straight onto a hot barbecue. Yum. I haven't had that in years. I buy fish from the Foodland supermarket where it always looks good and cook it the same day.
    I'm not surprised every critter is hungry now, all their food is covered with snow. The raccoons look well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter does bring on the hunger! I could eat a loaf of bread every twelve minutes! Raccoons are very well, Very round!

      Delete
  7. I hate fishing. I'll take frozen every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Unless I can get fresh that I don't have to catch myself, I mean.)

      Delete
    2. catching is fun but clubbing the life out of a very large cod is not!

      Delete
  8. The girls are looking very happy indeed with their brunch! And that seafood -- we don't see a lot of fresh caught here -- looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot prawns are delicious little morsels- bloody expensive but memorable!

      Delete