Her backyard stretches way down through the forest and way over to the deer fence. her husband keeps a huge organic garden and fruit trees. Her little dog Aggie, has loads of room to wander, chase squirrels and rabbits, never catching one but tells exciting stories about her "close calls"...telling me one right now! You can see that can't you? This is the one about the cornered squirrel that was as big as a bear , terrifyingly ferocious but for Aggie, no problem.
I came home and swept the Christmas detritus out from under furniture. this is what I found:
a yoyo, two chocolate bears, lock w/keys, Chocolate pansies, a pile of cracker jokes, Tweezers. nail clippers, Dominoe, and playing cards. Many paper hats, bells, and ribbon.
Probably enough for next year's crackers!
two donkeys and a turtle. There was also a lamb but it is in the lamb hospital , orphans stitching up the damaged bits. The mushroom , brought to me by Erik, was thrown on a wheel. The underside is perfectly mushroomy - gills and flute that looks like a tiny skirt. That took some skill!
Erik is somewhat discouraged about AI taking over animation and art, in its brazen way. There will always be a place at the table for human art- it just will not pay very well I suppose, but animation never has. New tech always comes in fast and clunky- novelty of it wears and we return to quality . AI is kind of a jerk.
What follows here , are Photos of Lindsay, Euleta and myself in High school , brought to you by Aquanet, Mabelline and Tangee lip stick
Lindsay
I could have been a star trek alien captain. The LOOK is zappy!
Lindsay and I - both so lucky to have escaped the suck of that little town , finding our way here- so lucky we have remained good friends - living next door to one another is just the icing on the buttercream moose vanilla cake.
Euleta lives one state away from suck town, she is safe! Grateful to have not been married,babied, mortgaged, right out of HS, stuck in the dirt and wind. Wasn't she a dish!!!
And that guy sitting next to her has always dreamed of Euleta , unrequited love . C'est la vie, that guy...
One last snap from the olden days. Triple trio singing alto, just to prove that once upon a time I did sing and I did know how to backcomb, and I had eye brows from Woolworth, like a normal person. It was all short lived! And that is life! Short!













We must have been about the same age. I had the same teased and a hair sprayed blond hair in nice upon a time. And I was in a triple trio in Okla. HS.
ReplyDeleteBarbara (no longer in OKC, thank god)
glad you escaped, rat tailed combs were our number one beauty tool...
DeleteLindsay has the same name as my dad's middle name; an old family name, Scottish. She also has glasses identical to my white pearl cat's eye glasses. Now I'll remember things Euleta would know about. Please tell me the woman behind you in the Triple Trio picture is Miss Ward.
ReplyDeletethat girl behind me was mean. all the way through school she was mean.
DeleteWonderful memories and a great get together with CAKE! all those fresh young faces....
ReplyDeleteyep, the cake- outrageous, the size of a volkswagon.
DeleteGreat hairdos!!!
ReplyDeleteYou had perfected the flip! Some could, some could not. You did it! Golly you were gorgeous. What an amazing thing to have schoolmates right nearby. A sort of miracle, I think.
ReplyDeleteI have to say that the picture of Aggie telling the squirrel-as-big-as-a-bear story is perfect and priceless.
Like you.
Aggie is full of stories and then after she has you totally enthralled she lets out a little 'YIP" for emphasis! We were all gorgeous- youth leans in that direction I guess to attract flies or worse- boys...
DeleteOh, by the way- you are absolutely still gorgeous.
ReplyDeletethank you but - eyes of the beholder maybe?
DeleteHow wonderful to have a neighbor who you've known and loved for so many years. I love seeing these old photos...you with that beautiful flip. Oh that era, so much fun and hope and good music and dreams.
ReplyDeleteThe relentless wind where we lived gave hairspray companies wealth! We wore our hair like hats!
Deletei never could perfect the flip. and sleeping on orange juice cans or those spiky rollers meant i spent much of high school sleep-deprived. and god forbid if your pin curls slipped during the night. no hot curlers or curling irons during my time. my best high school friend lives in germany so you are so lucky to have those friends close!! i love the high school photos as they are so reminiscent of my time in high school!! the young upstarts today have no idea what fun they have missed in the modern days!!!
ReplyDeletekirsten
I don't know that i would go that far...high school for me and for Lindsay was something to be endured until we could get the hell out of town. We had two channels on television, the movie theater had crap movies, the only concerts were high school concerts, at least that was not nothing! Small town - the neighbors up the street knew when I got home, knew how much time I spent in the car with my boyfriend, called my mother , she would flick the porch light before kissing became too much of a good thing. Classes in HS were rote, teachers were dismally unimaginative. It was shite!
DeleteLoved the old photos! DId you know Vermont Trading Company still sells Tangee? A blast from the past. Me? I always wanted hair like that in high school. Alas... didn't work! How wonderful to have a friend who has been with you for so much of your history, and living so close. I send all good wishes for a happy, healthy new year!
ReplyDeleteMust have been a wild party to find all that under the couch.
ReplyDeleteOh the 60s. I never did go the rat/tease/backcomb route. And I hated hairspray. I did manage a nice flip from big rollers until I went out in our humid air and then frizz. I went from flip to long straight hippie hair. I would iron it before I went out if it was a humid night.