My Blog List

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

sing to live, flying baby, gender fluid gods

 "Alas for those that never sing, but die with all their music in them."                 Oliver Wendle Holmes.

I got up a five A.M. on Christmas day , put on traditional Christmas carols , and sang harmony to my heart's content. Peace and quiet in the dark, no one around to hear  or tell me to STFU. Singing stirs me. We grew up singing all the time, my mother sang everyday all day and sometimes danced alone in the kitchen. My brother had a lovely voice, too. I got by- but when I discovered that I could harmonize to almost any song , I felt clicked into place. Nothing like hitting the notes right on target harmonizing with a friend who sang melody. When Erik was a baby I sang to him , when he got older he was annoyed so I did'[t sing anymore. My throat closed up, vocal cords shriveled. Now that I am ancient , my un-exercised voice is not as confident as it once was. I  need to get up every morning at 5  and let her rip. Christmas carols are the easiest to harmonize with , lungs and vibrations through my head are grateful for early morning notes- anyone within hearing distance, probably not. 

Christmas detritus- we finally had our party yesterday, boxing day. All went well. Everyone glad, house looked acceptable, food was terrific, so far...we may hear of food poisoning today from all diners after having waited so many days to actually have our
Christmas dinner.  I ate everything and lots of it- I am fine so maybe everyone else is as well- but then I am a tough old boot, could eat nails and feel OK.

Emily and Flora came over after we had torn packages apart- she taught her baby how to fly with the greatest of ease! Flora was the hit of the night , no doubt. So many people, so much noise, and she just rolled with it. Most well adjusted baby I have ever met!

the kids settled down to play a brain game of CODE, - quiet concentration after the cacophony of the previous three hours!  They played in bad lighting, because they can- youth!!

The evening was not without one bit of drama that occurred toward the end of the night. Someone let the pooch out on the deck while the raccoons were having their Christmas supper. Everyone screamed bloody murder at the raccoons, we may have been reported to the police I am not sure. Anyway, dog is fine, raccoons scampered away , confused , we did manage to spoil their night - they came back this morning. All is forgiven. 

-0-

This afternoon the post man actually came to deliver that which has been held up due to weather.My Friend of NYC fame sent this card- a lenticular gender fluid white Jesus / white Mary. Delightful!!


 



That is that, I just removed all of the hay stars,  took the tree down, swept the needles and put the tree on the front deck. I thanked it with all of my heart and am now moving on to dismantling the table and all of the lights- well, maybe not the light...until spring or until they burn out, whichever comes first.  All of the red is gone, enter PINK!

Dennis is out in the world , he just sent a text of a thing he wants to buy that is way to big and ugly to put in place of where the monolith was.  (  now down in the basement thanks to Erik's muscle power. ) I texted back NO PLEASE NO!! He backed away from it thankfully. Good thing he had the sense to ask! The men folk do not have shopping skills, I reckon.







 


21 comments:

  1. I am glad people came to see you, albeit a little late. I am so ready to go away for a bit. It's been raining for three days. Congratulations on fending off the giant thing that Dennis wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lately I have been thinking to go to the desert, just me, for a few days of reprieve!

      Delete
  2. Great cartoon! Beautiful pictures of beautiful people. I admire you so for being able to wend your way through all of the roadblocks that were put up in front of you, finally managing to serve your dinner. And then, to get your tree down in such a short time! Yes!
    Now rest and please do keep singing. All of my life I have wanted to be able to find and sing harmony and I cannot do it. Maybe next lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But mary you can sing harmony - you can train your ear to hear it and then your brain takes over , then your wind!
      Yeah , yay me! i got all of the christmas put away today, Even the little things stashed in corners. It is done!

      Delete
  3. 37paddington:
    It looks like a joyous time was had, such an engaged group, beautiful. And I love that you’re singing again. It’s such a rush, the breath, the voice harmonizing. Keep singing. It also counts as exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you for that note of encouragement- Five A.M. can not come soon enough!

      Delete
  4. Flora flies like an angel! I couldn't possibly hold either of the twins up like that, my old shoulders would die! I'm glad everyone had a wonderful time, except the raccoons, why would everyone shout at them?
    I don't sing hardly at all, not very loud anyway, a little here and there with songs I know well, I'm afraid to let the voice run free in case people think I'm murdering the cat I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha murdering the cat- I am sure that my voice is pretty terrifying - thus the 5:00 A,M. hour. Everyone screamed at the raccoons because the pup got out and the raccoons were about to pounce on pup!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading that you got up at 5 and started singing. We should all do that, a great way to start a day. I, too, used to sing for my grandchildren. They, too, started getting annoyed with my singing as they got older. I wonder if it embarrassed them? Oh well. I have very young great grandchildren now, and will most definitely sing to them next time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babies and littles love singing even if it is lame- I reckon we have embarrassed the old children because that is what they are generally, embarrassed... it is not even a challenge!

      Delete
  6. Looks like such a sweet holiday gathering there. Love seeing Flora flying like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it Jesus, is it Mary, is it Jesus, is it Mary? It's trans Jesus/Mary! Glad you had your celebration even if it was a day late. Or two.

    Flora is adorable, little flying angel. It made me think though of the man from some eastern European country here with his little daughter sitting in his lap holding her in place with his hand just there between her legs in a stadium watching some game and some busybody wacko with a dirty mind called the police about child sexual abuse and they took his daughter away from him while they figured out what was what and he was confused and terrified. They did resolve it with no charges and gave her back but goddamn people who think any touch is abusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that story is ...demented, twisted. ridiculous!

      Delete
  8. I love shoes. Flora’s boots are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A raucous time was held by all!!
    Ah -- the singing thing. In junior high we had music class and often had to sing what the teacher wrote on the board. I remember being the first one called on one day and managed to nail it. A friend of my brothers a year or two later heard my singing in the kitchen and asked me "what did i do with the money? What? The money for the singing lessons." I quit singing after that around people for years. But now i really don't care and love to sing -- the trick is to harmonize with the music.
    Flora reminds me of Puck in Shakespeare.
    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rude comments will shut down the singer every time! I mean we do not want to be annoying, right?
      Flora is puckish!

      Delete
  10. Seems like a nice Christmas happened better late than never!
    Mesus? Jaryus?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cartoon! and so glad you finally gt Christmas! YAY!~ Another who sings harmony. I do it automatically, like my voice is a perfect third below the melody, unless called to do otherwise. And it's the best!

    ReplyDelete