This is our Christmas so far- a WTF holy soup- First, the weather stopped everything , then the thaw drowned everything,floods. Cara's roof is leaking, can't go anywhere- Sharon's animals are in a flood zone,Erik could not travel, roads closed. The others could not make it out of their drives. The transformer blew and our house became a cold dark tomb. Bread rising on the counter, no way to bake it. Christmas eve cancelled- if everyone can make it on boxing day we will frolic and have old food that should have been consumed today. Pretty sure that I won't be doing this again. Pretty sure everyone will get ptomaine poisoning. Lesson- never plan a thing AND do go to Hawaii in November , do not come back until spring!
Empty chairs, empty house , dead power. happy christmas everyone! If all goes according to so called PLAN- Erik will drive up tomorrow and the rest of the kids will drive up on Monday...maybe. The snow and ice are gone, the mound in the front yard covered by tarps that looked so acceptable when it was a snow drift, is now back to its brown and blue homeless weirdness- I better eat another hunk of Pulla, I am feeling cranky.


You certainly live in a lightless house! But I can sympathize; I have a long history with transformers. I assume the transformer that blew is outside on the power line along your street. I can't see a need for one inside your house. That means no juice until the power company comes and "fixes" it. I never understood that part. We were so far down the line, when they did show up, they took a lunch break, followed by a coffee and donut break. My sister eventually took to telling them there was a business in a wing of the house; it paid taxes and next we would contact the mayor and our council representative. Sometimes we moved up the ladder. So, we wised up and bought a generator. A natural gas generator. So we irritated the electric company and confused the neighbors, as long as it took for them to realize that large grey box displacing a lot of flower garden was a generator.
ReplyDeleteWe have talked about a generator for years, and then the weather improves and all is forgotten..Memory rarely accurate! Your sis ter has a lot of spunk! I like that in a gal!
DeleteYikes, for a moment I thought you might be writing that someone was down with one of the trifectas llike a quilting mentor wrote on Friday evening. Our house had to call a heating guy to come out and look at the heater. We have two furnaces in the house and the batteries for one of the thermostats were dying and showing inside temps of 48 degrees. I fortunately had some AAA so we were able to get it back working. Yeah, for being prepared. After the last few days of extreme cold, snow and wind, it feels great to at least get up to 20 degrees today! This storm has really brutalized everyone this week!
ReplyDeleteLove the table and all of the holiday decorations -- I wrote Francesca that I didn't decorate at all this year and regret not doing so. So have enjoyed seeing what others have done. Perhaps I can find some twinkle lights on sale after the 25th and add them to the living room to bring some warmth.
kirsten
Oh yes, by all means , get fairies lights- they are essential- I leave them up until they burn out , which could be well into October! A house with TWO furnaces must be gargantuan! You live in a castle? The thing that has made a remarkable difference for us this winter has been the triple pane windows , installed just in time. Really , such a difference .
Deletethe house i live in is over 116 years old and was originally built with 5 apartments on 3 floors. When the current owner bought it they put in two furnaces that heat the different side sides of the house. The thermostats were put in the first floor apartments which means i control my side of heat -- bwaa haa haa! but the windows are so drafty and i ended up dragging out all of my 100% wool blankets and laying them down near the windows to block the drafts. And will definitely look for the twinkle lights!!
Deletekirsten
Fresca here.
ReplyDeleteAw, 😒 geez, that sucks!
Your empty chairs at the beautifully adorned table made me feel sad.
I hope Eric can come up on Christmas anyway.
Pulla is definitely called for.
Silent night, for real.
Sending love, Fresca and the Girlettes
I should have come over to your house...
DeleteIs your power back on or will you have to burn your chairs for heat?
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, Linda Sue. Not a good Christmas Eve at all.
I would be crying into my Pulla. Get yourselves a generator for Christmas. And may things redeem themselves soon and no one will get ptomaine.
Lots of hugs and ho-ho-ho's from Lloyd. Kisses, too.
power came back- I baked the bread! We rarely would have the need for a generator so says I now, but the future may bring more shite weather than we are equipped to deal with. December has never had a great reputation for being agreeable. We shall make a new holiday! Maybe in October?Sept?
Deletechange it up!
Well, fuck all. You know, best laid plans and all that. I hope your power is back on. All will be fine just a day or so late. And who decided it had to be the 25th anyway. Merry Merry.
ReplyDeletethe 25th is when everything is closed and no one has to work, I guess that is the reason for the season!
DeleteWhat a fucking bummer... all of it. I am so sorry that your Christmas Celebration couldn't happen. I hope things clear up, warm up, and cheer up. Take care there... and Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteAt least we had not yet cooked the roast or the potatoes. There is that!
DeleteThe weather this year has ruined holiday plans for so many people. And you had everything ready to go, that really is a bummer. I hope it starts clearing up today.
ReplyDeleteToday is OK, gallons of rain, the usual PNW temperate melt. All is well.
DeleteWell this totally and mightily sucks. I am so sorry Christmas did not go as planned, this weather is just unbelievable. I'm looking out the window enjoying the sight of freezing rain and thick dark clouds. Winter.... yay. Hope you can salvage some of the holidays. A generator sounds very good. Merry Christmas in spite of it all.
ReplyDeleteyes, christmas I am so over it. Chocolate and rum- needed.
DeleteRum balls! Chocolate and rum in one tasty mouthful.
DeleteSo sorry about this. We were so relieved that the snow disappeared quickly but do worry about loss of power. We are alone and making a turkey meatloaf ( one inch "stripe" of stuffing horizontal through the middle) and all the trimmings.
ReplyDeleteFingers and toes crossed that you can celebrate tomorrow - Boxing Day- and use your beautifully set table.
JanF
that sounds perfectly delicious! AND sensible! Boxing day i think is for boxing ears- that is my understanding....
DeleteWho knew Mother Nature was such a Scrooge?
ReplyDeleteI really hope your plan B goes off as "planned"!
Odin is a jealous god- I think he sent the arctic blast because, you know, EFF that baby!
DeleteI think this might cheer you! JanF. https://vintagevixon.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteYou are correct- IT did cheer me up!
DeleteI'm so sorry things didn't work out. can you put the unbaked bread in the freezer and bake it when the power is back? The Hawaii idea sounds good.
ReplyDeleteNo celebrations here yet either. Us folks back east are buried under FEET of snow. 😭
ReplyDeleteI loved your comment about the violet creams from F & M. I used to buy those for my sister. They were her favorites.
ReplyDelete37paddington:
ReplyDeleteThe best laid plans. Sigh. Your table looks lovely though.
Weather has taken a big bite out of a lot of places this year but I think you had it worse than most. Super grim. I'm so sorry!
ReplyDelete