My Blog List

Wednesday, December 21, 2022

shoveling snow, hugging is an art, ginger snap day

Neighbor shoveling with style! Like a speed skater, back and forth across the entire drive way.
 

 

 

 

The birds are confused, plumped up, plumage sticking straight out.  The one above bonked into the window but after a few moments of WTF- flew over to the muffin flower pot to wait out the concuss.

It is OK, flew off  with a story to tell and a warning to the others.

Contest- neighbor gets medal for style and speed, other neighbor gets medal for having a red shovel,Dennis gets medal for most snow in boot.

It is really too cold for the children in the neighborhood to do much sledding or igloo building.

Last night ,with the wind chill factor , it was minus 35 at the airport, as middle son piloted his frozen plane in. 

Flights of course, have been cancelled . Lucky for me a friend's flight was cancelled, she was stranded in
Seattle on her way to Vancouver BC From northern California. She rented a SUV with snow tires and four wheel Dr. and there she was, at my doorstep. We had tea and a banana, caught up and then she was off to drive north in an automobile that can handle the weather. We go way back , when we were in pregnant lady's jump around class. Our boys have known each other since the day they came out of the chute. Strong bond!Anyway, that was delightful - I hugged her many times and  for too long - you know how it is when someone hugs you for a bit too long, awkward,   try to make a polite escape but the hugger won't let the huggee go? Yeah, that was me not letting go. I think that I have forgotten how to hug in the acceptable -social -norm way. She nearly ran to her car, looking back with an expression of  "what the bloody hell is wrong with you, woman..." I probably won't be seeing her for another five years or so, enough time to  reign in and hone my hugging skills.

The wind/snow built a little temple in the plum tree for the elves and snow faeries. Snow  makes pretty good sculptures It is really beautiful out there. The snow is light powder, easy to shovel, easy to sweep away with a broom.

It is solstice, Orphans decided to get a tree and decorate it . The best part of any celebration, as you know,  is FIRE! The search was on for marshmallows and sticks with little success. Ginger snaps were found- appeasement for now. Nat did present a tribute to Pagan Santa Jesus, his mom and the sheep, and welcomed the days that will be longer "forthwith". Everyone clapped and said HOORAH. 

And now it is time to clean the bathroom, again. I have been thinking about
Christmas dinner so much that I am sure I have overlooked important stuff. I have not gone anywhere since the big chill and do need to get more provisions- Tomorrow, maybe. Weather forecast is iffy. The lad coming up is also iffy. Who knows-

The worst of times the best of times -  another christmas/birthday/blizzard/magic/ginger snap day.

24 comments:

  1. Ginger snaps and applesauce are the makings of a feast. Hapy Solstice. The gang looks so cute all dressed up and with their tree! I asked my family for a group hug, when we were just all standing around. It was a huddle. OK, hugs of any kind have been missed, and I don't think it's like missed sleep, where just one good night will make up for several bad ones...hugs need to be repeated endlessly. Though maybe with different folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder my hug was unnecessarily intense, You are right, it is not like missed sleep. In Finland they are adverse to hugging or touching or getting too close, must be a cranky lot I must say! I reckon a good hug is like getting batteries charged, the energy is delicious when it is delicious...

      Delete
  2. Ginger snaps, probably my favorite cookie except for Ms Moon's cookies. Snow is my least favorite water thing except for maybe ice unless it's in my drink in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't go wrong with ginger snaps! Ginger anything fills my ticket. This snow has been lovely- the cold stays outside, we are inside with a fire, It is good.

      Delete
  3. Yes, another vote for ginger snaps. This winter storm heading east is not equally wonderful. It will wreak havoc, do damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. guaranteed, this storm!!! I am glad you are in a solid place!

      Delete
  4. It's interesting that your snow is light and fluffy. Ours is wet and heavy. It's 5:49 pm, and it's 7F. I can't imagine what the rest of the country is going to be experiencing. I should quit whining about the weather - nah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are allowed whining - we are pros! Yes this is unusual snow, it is lofty and beautiful! Too cold to melt.

      Delete
  5. That is a lot of snow. We got about 5 inches here on Hood Canal and our power stayed on (!!!!) so I've been enjoying looking at it. Tomorrow is supposed to bring freezing rain - yuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing rain and freezing fog is the rumor...Terrible driving weather that is for sure!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely gathering of orphans and a lovely little tree!
    Hug, one mississippi, two mississippi, let go. Them's the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good advice- One missssssssssssisssssssssssipppppppppppppi- two misssssssssssssssssissssssssssssssssipppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppi

      Delete
    2. Ha ha!! I've just had hugs from my grand daughter who is 6 months pregnant , the best hugs ever.

      Delete
  7. Way too wintry for me! Glad the bird made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is nice really, a real seasonal break from the norm, changes things up a bit- one can not do what one thinks one needs to do - like covid jail except way better.

      Delete
  8. Oh my Lord! Where do you find this energy? You are obviously genetically predetermined to come most alive in the deepest of winter. Please be safe and don't go driving around unless it is absolutely necessary!
    I would hug YOU too long. I guarantee it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The north suits my DNA- I am a northerner for sure. Thanks for the longgggggggggg hug Mary! I don't feel like such a freak!

      Delete
  9. That is a lot of snow there. You are definitely going to have a very white and beautiful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposed to warm up today at the moment it is a still zero without wind. There is a towhee singing in the pink morning air , like it is spring! It is very beautiful! About to burst into song- Louis Armstrong's "It's a wonderful world"- but my singing scares Dennis -I won't spoil his day...

      Delete
  10. Long hugs are not too long for me. Italians are big huggers---and lap sitters too, even as adults we would pile on our father's lap.
    My mother's WASP family would do these polite hugs where you lean in from the shoulders---no full body contact.

    YOUR ORPHANS are a giant huge hug!!! I love them so much. I can't tell you what joy they bring---that is, that YOU bring, by helping them get dressed and stuff---their elbows don't bend, so they really need our help.
    It is a mitzvah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orphans do indeed have limitations but they are not aware of those.
      They are pretty sure that they can bend in all the right places ( they could if they got too close to the fire) A wasp hug is not at all satisfying- I would just rather not, thank you. but a genuine warm full body don[t let go hug is fuel!!

      Delete
  11. Leenie here: People NEED hugs. We've been without them for months, in my case YEARS. Glad you got to recharge your hug battery even if it was a short one. Weather here is for psychos. Sunny blue skies, fluffy snow and the temperature of Neptune. Going to try and start my Subaru. Been frozen to the ground for over a week. Dr. says no driving until I'm off psycho drugs. But I'll fool him. Don't need drugs. Locked up in house causes worse crazies. Stay warm and best wishes for a super fun party. OXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Neptune, yep! I have not been out for two days, tomorrow does not look promising either. Who knows if family will make it on christmas eve or not...It is too cold to even enjoy psychosis...

      Delete
  12. Wow -- you got nailed big time with the snow. I'm glad your friend could make a surprise stop! And LOVE the orphan's tree!

    ReplyDelete