My Blog List

Thursday, December 22, 2022

MERDE, the cold, the wind!

Portland Oregon declared a national emergency due to the wind chill factor plummeting temperatures below where the thermometer is able to go. The lad walking home from work texted that  wind nearly knocked him down- crazy wild! Erik is a little over 6 feet tall  , a substantial, strong  lad. I doubt a sumo could budge him but the wind- no contest! 

In spite of the shite weather and  frozen streets,
Emily and Flora came over today with a birthday bouquet, sweetest thing ever!  Flora explored, I had a basket of toys handy but she was more interested in pot holders- the oven was  baking squash, No problem she put the oven mitt on and knew exactly what to do.
 


Flowers for my birthday. Emily is so thoughtful - and in this weather bringing her baby , She's my girl!!


The neighbors brought over their usual Christmas bonanza of various cookies, home made chocolates,  cranberry bread, braving the snow and freeze. 

I just say "NO'...

It is not like I do not have the gear for this nonsense weather, I do. I am just being stubborn about it. And lazy- it takes time to get all of that equipment zipped, buttoned, stuffed.

Monkeys around the tree looks like christmas morning when I was five. Nostalgia - a twinge of sadness- because everyone is dead.   I am turning 76, on the slippery slide to the grave, myself. I hope that I blow up instead of dying a slow - running out of gas- death.

I looked at a photo of my dad the other night just combing though stuff and suddenly tears welled up and my throat got all plump with emo...that has not happened since he died- even then I did not get emotional about losing him. Suddenly here I am - experiencing the "feels". For no reason other than this time of year, I suspect. 

Nat delivered gifts around the house- one to a bowl full of babies and one to our favorite christmas guy.

This morning the sunrise was pink , and still, and a towhee was singing like it was springtime.  Mysterious and lovely. Lucky...because moments later the sky turned to be white and the bird stopped singing, probably dropped dead from the chill. I don[t know how the raccoon are fairing- I am sure they are huddled up together in the forest...or in someone's attic, which is always a  not so pleasant surprise. 

Ok, so Here's me, being 76 tomorrow.
All is well and I ain't stiff yet! Cheers!!


27 comments:

  1. Dang but you age well. Genetics or good living? Do tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my computer- it takes blurry photos and everything looks better than reality, but I am not complaining. My glasses cover the bags nicely. It is all illusion! That is my story.

      Delete
  2. It's tomorrow here right now, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
    I would prefer that you and me and everyone else die peacefully while sleeping, that's the best way in my opinion.
    I see Flora is managing stairs now, she is so clever. The flowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flora is genius! And she is everywhere all at once.

      Delete
  3. Uh, when was that picture taken? 20 years ago? Happy Day LS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just after I got my hair cut- the air snipping haircut! My computer takes good photos, you think?

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday...what a great photo of you! I enjoy seeing your fun pictures and now am thinking, do I have any dolls or things I could pose? Regretfully no. Just many pottery figures as well as pots of every ilk. An interesting challenge for the new year perhaps. Trade a pot for a dolly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, dear friend! You are ageless. I think it's the toys that keep you young. As to the beauty part- your loving soul. A million kisses sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I just showed Maggie your picture. "Wow!" she said. "She looks so nice."

      Delete
    2. You and Maggie, my treasures, look so nice your own selves. Thank you for sending the photo, LOVE to you on this happy birthday morning!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to you, Linda Sue. You look beautiful and full of love and vitality. Flora has a great role model for the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. given my age I probably don't have much future - Flora Jane will have no memory of me so I am making hay while the sun shines so to speak! Flora has so many remarkable women to guide her-or she guide them, more like!!

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday, Linda Sue! You have such interesting collections. The monkeys are very retro, but also a little creepy when you look at them objectively!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are totally creepy, as a child I had only creepy toys, they had more to offer....thank you for the wish. BTW, I am having trouble leaving comments on your blog- I am not being negligent , just prohibited.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday to you! May we all be as charming at 76! I don't wish for you to blow up, but I get it.
    Flora is too cute, but you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hat Flora is wearing. Of course, Flora looks adorable in anything she has on. Happy Birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora is adorable no matter what! And did I mention - clever! She astonishes me.

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday! Marcmas is on the 27th here. Here at almost noon it has warmed up to 24˚ but wind is still blowing and frigid, icey. Birds are out. I put the last of the birdseed in the feeder earlier. Should have prepared better for that. Make it last little bird because I'm not leaving the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will get by, they generally do. Ma Nature...

      Delete
  11. Leenie here: So glad Flora was able to visit! What a treasure. So is her mom. And her gran. You have a year on me
    Hope I look half as good next year, but not much chance the way the docs keep chopping off pieces. HAPPY BIRTHDAY and very, very best wishes for a 2023

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. flora and Em made my birthday special. Having them come over in the thick of it and stay for a bit was the best I could have hoped for! Could you just NOT go to the doctor anymore!! They are so fond of you they keep making excuses to see you often! If you want some of my swear words I am giving them away - I have loads- you could drop them on all of the doctors but not the nurses or the custodians. I have already done that in my mind for you because that is the kind of friend I am!!! Stay above water, OK> You are mighty! LOVE

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday neighbor! My husband's sister ( in Maryland) is 74 today.
    I'll be 78 in January. Ugh!
    Will Eric dare the driving trip up here? I am going out only to check the outdoor faucets and pick up mail. We have 6-7 in snow topped by an inch of ice. We are too old to risk a fall.
    Have fun! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan! I went out on the deck this afternoon - I walked about two feet and decided that my life was in peril. I did not have my cleated grippers on so every step i took was a step backwards. NOPE! happy january BD!!!

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday to you, dear one. I think the dept. of vital statistics confused your birth year. I am an 80 year old bag of wrinkles, which puts an end to your claim to 76.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Belated best wishes and warm (!) regards on the anniversary of your birth Linda Sue. Wahoo!
    Linda Kay

    ReplyDelete