Orphans used tissue paper for dresses, they wanted to light their match candles- probably not a good idea...
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7010/finnish-pulla/This is the basic recipe. I used less sugar and more cardamom , Pearl sugar on top. It is a treat! So UNgood for you. I had to sample it , the loaf was gone by this morning! I will make six more for the neighbors to put in their baskets of JOY to the world!
Our post office is broken- we have lost so many packages! One was so badly damaged that they sent it back to the sender. A few days ago I went to send an envelope to England, waited behind 25 other people -got to be second in line finally , when two clerks windows closed, then there was only one clerk for the queue that had lengthened X times . I had to fill out a customs form for the envelope because I put a small flat thing in . It cost way too much - I am done with the post office for now! Maybe things will improve in January...I will send holiday cards then - better late, they say, than not at all. Or maybe not at all is OK.




You are a giver. Kind and thoughtful and a giver of edible goodness. We should all have a you! :)
ReplyDeleteCan't go wrong with a delicious glob of bread! thank you Anonymous!
DeleteLove the little ones all ready for St. Lucia's day...I had a roommate once who had Sweedish background, and made a wreath with candles, and carried around wonderful sweet-breads to wake everyone up. It sure made an impact on me. Then I read about St. Lucia being Italian...so it's international I guess.
ReplyDeleteI saw Saint Lucy in Venice- she has been dead for hundreds of years- place in a glass case , mummified - they had to make a silver mask for her face though- it was just too terrifying!
DeleteFRESCA here----Those little fire bugs!!! They are the most dangerous darlings!
ReplyDeleteHey, I didn't know two blondies live with you---what are their names?
They all look absolutely beautiful, radiant-- and I hope they do not go up in flames. Spontaneous combustion is a thing!
Pulla! Cardamom is my favorite spice, I wish I were your neighbor.
Scary about the PO--I hope the girlette calendar will reach you safely... Santa Lucia, pray for us for the safe delivery of packages. Amen.
P.S. I'd kind of forgotten it's Santa Lucia Day tomorrow--now my dolls are racketing around singing, "take out our eyes" (like Lucia's). I had to explain they don't have 3-dimensional eyes, so I will have to procure some by tomorrow...
DeleteSaint Lucy has got to be my favorite girl, with her eyeballs on a little platter, Sort of like Agatha and her boobs on a platter but not as gross...I hope that the girlettes can find Halloween left overs or BB's to serve as 3-D eyes.
DeleteThey will come up with something- flame is always fun too, especially carried on top of one's very flammable head.
I wish that you were my neighbor too! I would make Pulla for you every day.
The blondies came a couple of weeks ago, they are house broken and ready for GAMES, let them begin! They have not named themselves yet.
DeleteThe orphans' dresses are darling. Lighted candles could be bad, what with the paper and all. Nice looking bread.
ReplyDeleteit would be a grisly death- all of that torched plastic- Caution is sometimes advisable!
DeleteThat bread looks so yummy. I'm a "bread-a-holic" so I know a delicious bread when I see one. Love that photo of the boat and mountain. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThe bread, still warm out of oven is -OMG- certainly heaven would not be as good!
DeleteTakes me back to my holiday bread baking days. I must compliment you on the very clever rendition of perfect dresses to match the light of the candle, plus the admonition of not lighting the tiny candles and thus avoiding a dangerous fire.
ReplyDeleteI have some forever stamps to GB. Are they of use to you?
That might bail me out -are forever stamps really FOREVER? By the way, i do not think I would like to be in my kitchen without my Joanne towels, they make me so glad!!
DeleteI love those little Saint Lucy girlies! So cute!
ReplyDeleteThey are ...earnest...
DeleteThe orphans look so pretty! Good idea to NOT light the match candles. The Pulla looks interesting. Postage from Australia is even more expensive!
ReplyDeleteThe orphans watched the Santa Lucia celebration in Sweden and decided that it might be a fun idea- fire is fun- for them( they have no idea really)
DeleteI was lucky to get a loaf of that lovely bread today. Sadly it is almost all eaten already. Just like my Finnish grandma used to make. The best!
ReplyDeletethe spirit of Grandma!
DeleteOh my goodness! Such joy going on at your house. Between your tree and your bread, your house must smell like Christmas heaven! You are such a dear and generous woman. You humble me with your giving and your making and your doing. You also delight me.
ReplyDeleteBut don't you know that every time I clear a surface it fills up again? Surfaces are just not my thing, clutter bug- disorganized. But there are no prizes so - good housekeeping is not for me.
DeleteNever has there been cuter angel orphans dressed in tissue paper!
ReplyDeleteYour baking looks delish. The recipients banked up some good karma somewhere.
We get a bundle of tissue paper from cost co every year- it comes in handy for all sorts, usually packing but since I have divorced the damned Post Office I can make dresses for inanimate plastic with it.
DeleteThe orphans look so angelic. Lovely bread, too bad I can't eat it or I won't need to walk, my farts will just blow me along.
ReplyDeleteGluten - yes- white flour yes.toots oh very much yes.The orphans are pyromaniacs but were strongly discouraged...
DeleteMy package to England cost $28 to mail -- and there wasn't much in there, probably not that much in value! But overall, our post is pretty good. The orphans are looking darling!
ReplyDeleteLocal post office here needs to quit being passive agro- Trying to break the post office to privatize shipping and mailing- It's the american way.
DeleteI think everyone's post office is broken. Ours are on strike, and my New Yorkers are stacking up somewhere other than my mailbox.
ReplyDelete