Dennis bought a mountain of bark. It is in the front, by the driveway covered with two tarps. It will stay there until summer- the deer is wondering
WTF. Timing is a thing...
Seven months of what looks to me like a homeless camp in the front may discourage other campers. "This space is taken" sort of thing.
On the deck, the very very very last of blooming things- after at least four freezes and a bit of snow and ice these hearty plants just take it on the chin.
Mostly though, the pots on the deck are just full of frozen mud. It will be a long wait.
I have never make cordon bleu before though I have made similar just without the posh name- It is just a Schnitzel originating from Switzerland, the blue ribbon school of cooking.
Fiddly but easy as pie...I ran out of expensive Emmentaler so scattered Colby cheese around to fill in the gaps -
Cheese leakage- that would be Colby and the reason one should just go buy some more Emmentaler...Cheaper than a trip to Switzerland to pick some up but, still, pricey.
Anyway fairly delicious- will freeze five and half of them because the 1/4th of one has been consumed - that is the thing about cooking stuff for the first time- it must pass the taste test and a taste test usually leads to a nosh!
This morning I called to change the day of pick up for the prime rib and a good thing too. My order was not in his books- He ordered a cow today for pick up the day before dinner and I am stepping aside- Dennis can be in charge of that utterly. ( micro managing driving me nuts, retirement hell.)
I will have done everything before hand that requires oven so - take it away dude! All yours. If there is a miss-step - not my monkey!
Tomorrow I am going to a tea party for the December Birthday- Winter BABY- women, Friday I am minding Flora- that is the week , done. Onward to Christmas!
When all of that is over, i can drag out my arty stuff again and make a huge mess- back to being normal.






Your cordon Bleu looks wonderful! I haven't made that in years, but I will next winter. Or sooner. I have only Colby cheese too, so that will have to do. Dennis ordered a whole cow? Is he feeding an Army?
ReplyDeletenay, I tend to exaggerate- just getting a 17 pound prime rib...
DeleteBack in the 80's my sister and I were on one of our vacation camping tours. We were in Maine, near Bar Harbor. In some grocery store she picked up a recipe for cordon bleu. We had most everything we needed except a meat mallet. Ever resourceful, we located an appropriate stone, scrubbed it up pretty well and pounded those chicken breasts flat. We cooked them in the dutch oven in the campfire.
ReplyDeleteToss me a line so I can tell you about the man who hurried over to help us with our campfire.
If that "man" was Sasquatch you have peaked my interest...
Deletepiqued?
DeleteThe chicken cordon bleu I have made always just had swiss cheese in it which I am sure breaks every culinary law ever written. Yours look fabulous.
ReplyDeleteYour sentence about Dennis being in charge of the cow utterly? I read it first as "udderly".
Enjoy your tea party and Flora-minding. I am August and Levon minding tomorrow. I bought a copy of Richard Scarry's "Best Christmas Book Ever" and am hoping with all of my heart they let me read some of it to them.
P.S. I wish I had a mound of bark in my yard. We need to do something around here that makes the house look less like where the Beverly Hillbillies lived before they found the Texas Tea.
DeleteBeauty bark - I really hate it- It makes the soil impossible, gives splinters, attracts termites , looks nice for about five or ten minutes. I guess it is a quick though temporary fix but down the road it is a pain in the ass. - UDDERLY!
DeleteWhen I lived in Issaquah, we would have 50 yards of bark delivered at the bottom of the driveway which was very down hill from where it was going, with a 100 foot set back of the house from the street. Getting that up the hill and spread was difficult. It did look good for about 5 minutes, then the moles tunneled through it and it was lumpy. Has Dennis ever cooked that big of a roast? That's a lot of cow.
ReplyDeleteThat job sound really awful! Dennis has ideas-
DeleteYour cordon bleu looks tasty! And I love that photo of the frozen tulip. and the deer!
ReplyDeletetasty it is, beautiful it is not! The frozen tulip is a carnation but frozen just the same!
DeleteYes, WTF? I too, live with a hoarder. Can’t even park a bicycle in our two car garage. Have fun with the adorable Flora!
ReplyDeleteXoxo
Barbara
Thank you Barbara!
DeleteYour cordon bleu looks so good!
ReplyDeleteI could use some mulch. Truck it over?
I think it is tasty enough- With mustard poupon suce it should be OK- Mulch is good- beauty bark is not.
DeleteLeenie here: Surgeon came in all smiley behind his mask. Then NIGHTY NIGHT. Woke up with Barbi Doll hands and plenty of good drugs. Hubs took off the wraps yesterday. Impressive sutures. Just have to be patient and heal. Have fun with Flora and enjoy some fancy chicken for me. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
ReplyDelete"Not my monkey" -- I love that.
ReplyDelete