My Blog List

Sunday, November 13, 2022

rocks and large australian coins

 

My Dad could tell you where he found each rock , what it was and how it got there - geologist/ lapidarian in his spare time. He could tell you how long it took to hand cut each heart and hand polish, wearing his fingernails down to  bloody nubbins. He made stuff for me all the time- I  took it for granted, as kids do, appreciating his skill and effort  never occurred to me. I mean, don[t all dads make stuff out of rocks?  I was impressed with his ability to look out at the vast expanse of dirt and sage and spot a possible gem, cut it and make a thing of beauty. "Keep your eyes open,Sue- find something good". "Um, no, it's just a bunch of DIRT, Dad, I want to go back to town and get ice cream or something..."

Two bracelets - hearts made when I was about 13 and the other made when Dad was an old guy losing his vision and skill, both bracelets  lying  in the bottom of a box along with Coins I kept from when I lived in Melbourne ages ago. The pennies are HUGE, Even though they are/were pretty worthless their heft made pockets feel heavy and wealthy. Aware that there was money jingling around in there , never mind that it was just a couple of pennies that wouldn't buy anything. Aren't they cool, though?



50 pence with an older queen, magnificent! Charles is going to make money much less attractive.
The back of the 50 P-  roo and an emu and all of that fancy stuff in the middle. A very pretty coin also with some heft to it! 

An american quarter at the top for comparison. Going though boxes will never end- the amount of boxes that we have! Slowly , very slowly whittling down the hoard. Sometimes being grateful that I did not just chuck it all, and sometimes wondering What the hell! 

Who wouldn't want to keep giant money around that is totally useless? If you raised your hand , then you just do not realize the tug of cool  stuff's dominion. You might be wiser but I have large useless change, winner winner!!

 

21 comments:

  1. One of the cutest thing I ever saw was a pen and ink drawing around a real old English giant penny and a farthing- it was drawn as a Penny Farthing of course. You, being the artist you are, could do that ( if you can find a farthing). As a child I remember them in use in bread prices only. I think I may still have one.
    It took four of those big pennies to make a phone call in a public phone box when I was growing up! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is clever. Where was it that you used giant money to make a phone call?

      Delete
    2. Growing up in England. I was born in 1945, actually a fun D.O.B.= 01/23/45 but of course in England it was 23/1/45!

      Delete
  2. My father was a rockhound, too, and like you I accumulated tokens of love. In my last clearout I found a tumbled stone turned into a necklace, and Laura changed it for an earring mount. My collection of mismatched single earrings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there were a lot of lapidarians back in the day- Dad did not have a tumbler , instead he polished by hand, that is insane!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. sentimental- I will keep them and never wear them.

      Delete
  4. I did not know anyone polished rocks by hand. Your Dad must have had hands of steel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rugged,
      Wyoming guy- He broke his arm multiple times , set it himself and just carried on like normal. The crookedness of his arm kept him out of the military and put him in the conservation corp. That was the silver lining!

      Delete
  5. The 50 coin is cents, not pennies, we changed from pounds, shillings and pence in 1966 to dollars and cents. Your bracelets are gorgeous, can you set them aside for Flora perhaps? My mum used to collect rocks and she would have a few polished and set once in a while, I think they went to my brother when she died. I have to start going through old stuff soon. I need space, but want to look at things before I toss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at your things before you let them go is manditory. Unless you have become blind then it is amazing how priorities change.

      Delete
  6. I am honored to have a heart your dad made--it belongs to Penny Cooper, and it lives in a little box with your handwritten note on it, saying that your dad made it by hand. I didn't realize he polished many! What love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Those coins! Jumping Jehoshaphat!

      Delete
    2. Dad was probably un-diagnosed ADHD or something, back in the day one just coped. No meds. He built things and crafted stone to settle him down. Penny Cooper has a stone heart, which sounds like not a good thing...but it is one of the best things!

      Delete
  7. I have a giant heavy pence coin in my wallet which I have no idea where I got it. None. Also some pesos but that does make a sort of sense.
    Those bracelets ARE treasures. Could you get them cleaned up and pass them to darling Flora?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora Jane , so far, is not a jewelry kind of gal. She might be a geologist, though, so maybe.

      Delete
  8. Those bracelets are gems, literally and figuratively. Tossed in the bottom of a box. You should put them in a shadow box and hang them on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been able to post comments on the blog lately, so I'm trying from Roger's computer and his account. I'm just checking to see if blogger simply doesn't like NewRobin13 anymore. LOL! Here's my comment.
    I love the bracelets your dad made for you. What a beautiful hand-and heart-made treasure. Interesting coins too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin on Rodger's computer- who knows how blogger works or does not work? Glad to see you!

      Delete
  10. Maybe someday Flora will have those bracelets. They're lovely. And I love the coins, too!

    ReplyDelete