My Blog List

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

How to make Gramma's butter rolls

What you need to make Grandma's butter rolls. Plus scalded milk and warm water.Straight forward and pretty simple. I double the recipe  and add more butter than is reasonable. I need to re-copy the old recipes from the dead women in this family. Steam from the kettle has melted some of the recipes into an inky blur.  If I can read them i will copy and then use the aged melted ones for background art work IF I ever do art again.
 

The dough will fight you. I have my mothers rolling pin but I do  not have her super arm strength for rolling the reluctant dough into an inch thick flat. Very boingy dough.

I have her perfect biscuit cutter too, I used a drinking glass opening for years until I cleared out a cupboard and found this great old metal one.Roll roll roll cut cut gather excess kneed, roll roll cut circles, dip them into melted butter, fold over- fold facing up like a baby bottom , all soft and round, until all of the dough has been made into lovely little blobs of dough and butter. Do not over bake!

 While still hot drizzle melted butter on top- take the ugliest roll for testing because you never know if the recipe will work having been doubled and dinked with. I have failed so many times  before and had to start over again using all of the butter in the store and all of the eggs and all of my  swears.

Instant heart disease- weight gain and diabetes! Killing them with love, I am...They are fabulous, I think, better test a few more.

Action shot of Ms. Flora Jane, dancing to her own music.

- dances and sings all day long-  she double fisted eats pumpkin bread or Keto chips, whatever is on hand,  helps herself to milk and water left within reach.  Independent baby and very sure that she can do everything herself. 
I do not interfere. She did not cry when Emily left. Separation anxiety at the moment- I engaged her with animal sounds to distract and it worked very well. Granny skills.

- test roll, one of the ugly ones- I think that there may be four or five more ugly ones to be tested- must be sure before tomorrow. BOOMPH! Taking a hit for the family, I am a saint.

Have a great thanksgiving- don't get shot, America!

16 comments:

  1. Well, the ugly ones sure won't be missed. You've actually got enough for everyone! Sweet little one dancing away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I manage to succeed, the rolls are a hit with everyone breathing. Doubling the recipe is a must.

      Delete
  2. The first time I made my great grandmothers trifold dinner rolls, I forgot them in the oven and they got a little brownish. My uncle said lucky I hadn't burned them or he'd never be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thanks for that, now I know how to keep uncles away.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'll try those rolls, I have enough different things here to scare my heart a little, I don't need more. I would rather look at Flora dancing anyway. She is so beautiful, so alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora is that! Her curiosity is non stop, little brain like a sponge.

      Delete
    2. Flora is that! Her curiosity is non stop, little brain like a sponge.

      Delete
  4. I saw that picture of your recipe card and for a second, wondered how you'd gotten one of MY old cards! I recopied the angel biscuit recipe the other day because I can barely read it now. Those rolls look perfect!
    As does Flora Jane.
    Happy Feasting Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it- the old recipes are nearly unreadable, the steam from kettle has turned too many into blurs of ink and heat browned corners. Family all together- it is good! We call it Thanksgiving but really it is just an excuse to make love to everyone...and by love, i mean butter rolls

      Delete
  5. Those butter rolls look so yummy. If I still baked anything I would make those. Flora is so adorable dancing. What a sweet moment. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora Jane is all about music- she loves Rockabye Sweet Baby James and drumming.

      Delete
  6. Happy T-Day, Linda Sue! That there is all I would need for Thanksgiving, or any, dinner.
    The rolls, I mean.
    Followed by (gentle) dancing would be okay too.
    Watch out for turkeys with ARs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. damned guns, idiotic country- Jefferson dismissed T-day for anti religion reasons, did not appreciate the god stuff. I am thankful for Jefferson today. One roll is about my limit really, they are like eating a cube of butter! Have a goood day, Ms. San Francisco !

      Delete
  7. The rolls look really good, really really buttery. Hope the day was perfect for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid rolls, we do Lithuanian bacon buns, the center has chopped European lean bacon and a little onion.
    I have a lovely children A to Z. I think you might like it for Flora. It's A to Z of things in Alaska. Gorgeous artwork. Let me know. JanF

    ReplyDelete