My Blog List

Sunday, October 23, 2022

morning!


 From the front window , through the smoke and faint sunshine this morning. Autumn is lovely. 

My brother and my mother , both born in autumn, owned the season, my mother decorated and  my brother shot deer and elk.. Our house growing up changed decor with the seasons as was done back in the olden days of the fabulous fifties.

Autumn was the most colorful and outlandish, Mother really nailed it big time. Cornucopias and dried leaves and lanterns on ever surface, Not a space left un -done. She wanted to dress me in orange, I complied but   I thought that I looked too much like a pumpkin. Vermilion was better and rust was nice for my pale, mealy,  colorless, see through complexion. Mother always looked amazing in autumn colors- Brown hair and dark eyes - rosy cheeks and fire engine red lips. Such a beauty! She was Juanita.


The rain has come just in time, overdue, in fact, the forests have complained and caught  fire.

No one  else is complaining about the exceptional fall and summer we have had. Sunshine in the Pacific northwest is rare and marvelous.

Chill in the air, the house is cold- the deck of flowers and veg will want cleaning up this week but for now I am clinging to the very last of it.

The deer are back - I startled one in the back yard this morning- we surprised one another, both jumping away at the same time. Looking back at me wondering  where I came from all of a sudden, me wondering the same about the deer. They are looking winterized.


Giving me the side eye....

Old Mrs. Plum's days are numbered, how I have loved this tree. It was initially thought to be a flowering dwarf, same with the monstrous cherry when the original inhabitants stuck them in the ground in the seventies. 

They are only supposed to live for 30 years max. I should not be surprised that Mrs. Plum is so very knackered. My skin is beginning to look like hers, lumps and bumps and gnarly bits.  We are both on the down hill slope of our experience on this amazing planet. Wheeee what a ride! I pretty much have done all of things! Of course I always want more because too much is never enough- greedy! Leaving you with a tomato that will never be in the salad of life- Compost at best.

have yourself a great Sunday- I will continue my deep clean of the abode. Maybe roast a chicken. Sunday's favorite.


11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Your images, both with photographs and words are so evocative. Thank you, Linda Sue.
    I am so glad you are finally getting rain. It is what makes where you live so beautiful, even if the days are sometimes cold and dreary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the dark cold of winter does just about undo us. Not sure about this winter...I may have to go somewhere in February and march- the worst of the darkness. This morning is the in-between. Momentarily gorgeous and optimistic.
      The rain is good!

      Delete
  2. These photos and your story are so beautiful and rich. The deer and flowers, the fall colors and the old tree all tell a story of such a lovely season there. Enjoy every moment of this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is the only day that matters, I say that every morning.

      Delete
  3. Leenie here. Like the others said--outstanding photos! Loved every one. It's so nice to have a really good camera that fits in your pocket so you can capture the beauty of a deer and share it. Still, it takes an artist's eye to see, compose and frame the shot. Happy you're getting rain to give all the dryness a drink. Same here, rain--almost snow--is welcome, even if we have to dig out the long johns and puffy coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leenie! The photos just take themselves , as you know, There are photogenic days here. Glad for the moisture ( ask me in February) Thinking of you always, wishing you the best of better days!

      Delete
  4. I love your photos today! We had rain all day yesterday, such a change for the hot and sunny Saturday. Today, Monday, it is cool and cloudy, showers are expected, but will probably be just a light sprinkling. The gardens are loving it, usually everything here is beginning to dry out by now.
    I never bothered with seasonal decorating, apart from Christmas and now I don't even do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never cared much for autumn. Too cold too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colors. Your flowers are still looking good, considering the lateness of the season. Ours are much more tired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's autumn even though it's warm out because the deciduous trees and shrubs are looking wilty and losing their leaves no matter how much water they get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Especially love that first photo of the deer. You know, for all the decorating my mom did for the holidays, I remember little for autumn. Some dishes, of course (we had a dish addiction in our family -- it's hereditary) and pumpkins at Halloween. But not like you see now. I wonder what she'd do if I turned her loose in Home Goods!

    ReplyDelete