1.7 billion year metamorphic rock that magmatic intrusions traveled up through- then Pangaea broke up about 210 million years ago when North America drifted west and collided with the Pacific Plate which pushed the J tree region up above water, leaving these glops of gigantic Bonnacon poos here and there.
It is like Henry Moore and Dr. Seuss had a baby and that baby is over 800,000 acres of weird shapes and pointy Yucca Brevifolia . The "desert daggar" - Joshua Tree ( named by the Mormons traveling west.)The name that stuck because it sounded more appealing, I guess, and has more of a fascinating story behind it.
The "trees" are not really trees, they are in the Agave family. They grow very slowly, living in harsh conditions, special because they are fussy about where they grow, the altitude must be just right and the soil must be barren and dry. They clearly have something to prove.
Some of the boulders are circumcised.
Some have butts.these ^ are the laziest boulders I ever did see. Stoned, probably. ( I know...it was just too easy)
Yucca blossom.
Pointy sharp blossom
gorgeous color, hearty and delicate at the same time. A come closer, get away, fearful attachment plant.
In fact I think most of the plants in the desert have psychological issues. They do have every reason to feel cranky.
some of the cactus rides on the wind and latches on to humans and coyotes that are wandering through. They are attack cactus - unpleasant but talented, respect !
Growing all along the ground, very tiny flowers and leaves hold the sand down as well as they can- Rattlesnake weed. "Like most spurges, rattlesnake weed secretes an acrid, milky sap containing alkaloids poisonous to humans, with emetic and cathartic properties that may be misconstrued as curative."See the tiny people up there - scale.
So, OK , impressive but not life changing amazing , as promoted. I would have rather shopped for rodeo queen outfits with Stella. Nearly lost my balance a couple of times and believe me- not a good place to fall! So, that is that, I have saved you the trouble of the long drive to the globs and spikes and toxic ground cover. No need to thank us, we needed to burn a tank of $7.50 a gallon -gas anyway. I was more impressed by the botanical growth in this harsh area than the wonder of its formation . Such sturdy stabby clever survivor plants, which we must emulate if we are to make it through the next few years.















I love the rocks! The "Butt" one looks like it has legs and is climbing up. The one with two tiny people has a "frog" rock in the lower left corner and on the right just below middle is an alien with a big paw up over where its ear would be.
ReplyDeleteYes I see! Like looking at clouds except solid and non moving non changing.
DeleteI love your special talent for spotting body parts, Linda Sue!
ReplyDeleteThe clever survival tactics of those plants do inspire me-- maybe in another million years we humans will have adapted to a hot and dry planet by growing spikes n stuff😜
I think we humans are a failed experiment- Too squishy .
DeleteTrying again-- my phone ate my first comment. Which just said I admire your talent for spotting body parts!
ReplyDeletehungry phone
DeleteWell, it is all magnificent. I mean, truly! When I think of Joshua Tree, I can't help but think of Gram Parsons whose friends tried to burn his body in the desert there. A weird and horrible story. Our planet is certainly filled with wonders of all kinds, isn't it? Thank you for sharing not only the pictures but your perspective both literal and figurative.
ReplyDeleteThe geology and botanicals are fascinating- curious. The Gram story is crazy wild but we get it! That is something I would have done for a friend back in the day.
DeleteI love what you see in the rocks there. So many wonderful shapes to have fun with. My parents retired to the desert in the late 1980s. It was not my favorite place to go and visit with them. Too many prickly things and way too hot. But it is nice to see these photos and be reminded of the old days.
ReplyDeletethe desert is worthy of a visit and , I suppose, out of desperation- a cheaper place to live. NOT my first choice though it is interesting. Lack of Water is most certainly a big deterrent- becoming more sever every day, accelerating - the world famous golf courses are a total water suck!
DeleteWe left the desert, too hot, too many bat shit crazy politicians, they're implementing Tier One water restrictions, developers want to build housing for ONE MILLION people south of Apache Junction, but are stymied by the fact that there is no water, but hey! they'll find a way.
ReplyDeleteI do love that cactus with the spines that wrap around itself. You'd have to be a hard core predator to try to eat that.
southwest is fucked as water goes- there is none. There will be an influx of people moving north I am sure.
DeleteThus the insane prices of real estate here!
It's been 40 years since I was this far west. And it takes so long to see much of it--so big. Not like New England!
ReplyDeleteYes it is spread out that is true! Gas is expensive and becoming more so as we change to be electric - there are no charging stations outside the city. Back to burros?
DeleteI love the idea of Dr. Seuss and Henry Moore bearing a child of interesting structure! I'm always amazed at seeing flowers -- and such pretty ones -- in such desert, rocky conditions.
ReplyDeleteThey are hearty little masochists! And trees growing right out of the hard rock, such is the yearning for life!
Delete