My Blog List

Monday, April 18, 2022

ghosts

"You can never go home again"- Thomas Wolfe, 1940. 

This was our house in the middle of dirt, My folks bought the concrete shell  after the war, in 1946. My Dad built the rest of it adding a finished basement, a dinning room, a garage,  hot beds, a garden. He grew  amazing flowers, vegetables, apples ,trees,  lilac bushes ,strawberries, and a  loaded raspberry patch sheltered from the wind in between the other gardens and the garage. He built a concrete incinerator where we burned cardboard and trash that would not compost. It was  a frightening jack in the box - feral cats would get in through the ash door at ground level,  and fly out of the top when the heavy metal cover was shifted to put  the trash in. Feral cats did not fly silently- they screamed as they made contact with your face. Dad sometimes would take his twenty two  when he dumped the trash.


Dad lined all of the edges with marigolds  and mums to keep bugs away, He built the cute picket fence all around the back and put in gently sloping curbs to the street so that our bicycles would have a smooth transition. His Gladiolas grew up the side of the garage and were surreal in their splendor!
He roofed it entirely with red tiles, planted a blue spruce which loved growing too big- and built a red and white concrete checkerboard patio out the back door  surrounded by tall cedar planks and a glorious wooden gate.
Arial view of back then- our house on the corner , left of  center, at the top of Buffalo street. The long white apartment building kitty- corner was where the feral cat community lived, appropriately, not far to go for "shopping" to our incinerator.
I went for a google walk around the town. It is not at all the same, not even familiar. This is our house now.  Oh dear!
Our famous and fabulous front street , always a source of pranks and hooliganism- bars and whore houses, really should have remained in tact. History of the West right there!

I have posted this photo of Virginia's drawing of front street before, good thing she captured it when she did. 



This lone building is all that is left of the entire street of shoot 'em up bars and whores, so much a part of our growing up . It is the bar with a star , "Cosy Rooms' - side door. So sad that everything was torn down in a fit of righteousness. Damn! Driving around with the google truck was so sad.


What you see here is a ghost. The google van does not go to that little town often  , so, the google trip through town knits times and trips  together, there are three different times of when our house's photo was taken in different stages of disrepair, turn the google corner and it becomes another house in another time , and then back again. So weird, but the weirdest is one of the photos, which I zoomed in on,  our forever across the street neighbor- their children and my brother and I grew up like siblings , shared kitchens and what ever the moms had going- Cookies and oranges generally.  Arty and my Dad worked the same job , same interests, and went to high school together , so Yes, long time friends. One time Arty and my Dad drove a tractor into the school  late at night and cemented the doors to the school shut. Anyway, Arty died in 2005- but there he is sitting on the front porch looking right at you and me.  


Interesting travel:

https://www.space.com/hologram-doctor-space-station-nasa-astronauts?utm_source=notification

18 comments:

  1. Wow, Linda Sue! Just wow! Your dad turned your home into a blooming paradise! He must have loved his family and his home tremendously- you can see it in those pictures.
    It is amazing to contemplate the differences between where you grew up and where you live now. Two different worlds entirely.
    I think I'll perhaps do a little google look-around of the house we lived in in Winter Haven when I was a teenager. I bet the whole neighborhood has changed tremendously. I haven't been back in decades and there is a reason for that, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do understand the "reason"! It is surprising to google through old haunts. Where I grew up was good training, everywhere else i have ever been has been easier and more comfortable! Even the deserts in California and Morocco.
      Harsh, bitter Wyoming, Jesus! My Dad was talented! I am going to try to find Winter Haven , now.

      Delete
  2. Our dads sound alike. Mine also added to and improved our house; turned the dirt into gardens, vegetable, rose and flowers. "We eat what we can and what we can't, we can", he intoned. I could go back, but once was enough. It's about 17 miles south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 17 miles !!! That is right next door to you!! Yes that generation of Dads were jack of all tradesmen. Nothing they could not make or fix.

      Delete
  3. Your Dad was gifted. My Dad was not, it was sort of a running joke how unhandy he was. Mom was better at stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least the blue spruce is still there. I can't get decent street view when I try with google earth. I find the homes I once lived in by recognising roof shapes and driveway placements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the spruce is gone, those are trees across the street, If you put in the address of the house on google search it will go to the house and offer a street view and then you can follow arrows all over the place.

      Delete
  5. That bed of marigolds is GORGEOUS! So fiery and warm looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dad was one productive guy! Literal homemaker!
    I take google walks down memory lane sometimes. Our old cat, Cookie, lives on in ghost form on one google street, much like eerie Arty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange to find ghosts. Kind of creepy. and then for the google truck to turn the corner and be in an entirely different time , turn the corner again and - whoops, what day it this? what year is this? Am I an insane time traveler?

      Delete
    2. Arty looks like he is in ghost jail.

      Delete
  7. Google captures a lot of ghosts. Your dad really took pride in the family home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ghosts are freaky! Google ghosts! I did not expect that! After the war My folks fewlt so lucky to have ahome, even though it was just a concrete shell- they worked all the time making it do-able. Lovely people.

      Delete
  8. Your dad was a busy guy. I was wondering how he had the time to do all that and work too. He made a wonderful home for his family. My dad was not handy, in fact he almost took pride in it saying they didn't make tools to fit his hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different strokes, I guess- all of the Dads in our neighborhood were handy- they fed one another and borrowed tools and asked for advice and it was on going. Plus , in dad's spare hours he was a lapidarian and a champion gin player! Never an idle moment.

      Delete
  9. Google maps is weird. Wow -- I'm so impressed with all your dad did. It looks fabulous (unlike the "now" photo which is so drab). And I really love your painting of the street. Perfect! I think of that Wolfe line when I pass my childhood home here. Now it looks like a bunker and it used to be, if not fancy, cute. Friendly.. Alas...

    ReplyDelete