Walking by the goblin tree by the bay, I noticed something breaking the line of vision, inconsistent with "tree". At first I thought it was a spy device, and then i thought it might be the beginning of a vespa mangarinia condo.
Neither, tree hole for holding a spatula, naturally. How could it be anything else?
Anyway , they are back- the murder hornets , the vespa mangarinia , with their horror, killing and necrotic producing venomous bites. They are the size of mice but do not have even a fraction of the cuteness factor.
This is a quick little video of the findings last summer, and through the winter and where they may have come from. They serve no purpose on this planet- like ticks and fleas (and trumpsters) and should be eradicated, for the good of all.
Today is a fine day, I am about to go out to the lake to give Stella's plants a drink. She will be back home tomorrow- sent a message- "having a wonderful time". And of course her great grand baby is the most perfect person on the planet at this time, and in Stella's heart. All is well.




I had forgotten about last year's Murder Hornet invasion, and ugh, here they are again. What a nightmare. They did not come this far south, and I'm hoping that stays true. I wish they would just disappear, like Trumpsters who serve no purpose other than to enrich themselves and dupe their followers. If only I could rebuild the world the way I want it.
ReplyDeleteOh Robin , if wishes were horses we would have a stampede! I want to live in the world that you would create.
DeleteI didn't remember you had murder hornets last year. Oh, please be very careful. And don't send them east!
ReplyDelete2020 was so full of crap it is little wonder that the murder hornets just seem like a normal Tuesday.
DeleteThey are scary!
ReplyDeleteterrifying, we do not liek them one little bit!
DeleteOh Jesus. Just...no.
ReplyDeleteright? they are the size of a damned kitten!!
DeleteI hope what you are holding there is dead and won't come back to bite you. It's HUGE!
ReplyDeleteWe have a similar tree hole near where I live that is home to many, many, bees. I sometimes sit nearby and just watch them.
those are not my fingers holding that enormous monster! My thumb nail does not look that shabby- and there is no way i would hold a Vespa Mangarinia- not even if it was dead.
DeleteUgh. Having said that, though, I think every creature on the planet serves a purpose of some sort, even if it's one we may not immediately perceive or appreciate. Including ticks, fleas and murder hornets.
ReplyDeleteProbably a purpose, like getting rid of other living things on this planet and upsetting the balance-oh wait- that's humans....
DeleteWell, exactly! Fleas helped keep humans in check until a hundred or so years ago, thanks to Yersinia pestis...and ticks are still trying via Lyme disease. It's all a balancing act!
DeleteMurder hornets?!! They are so big, you'd almost have to take out a gun and shoot one to get rid of it. Horrors.
ReplyDeleteMurder hornets sounds like a punk rock band- shall we start one?
DeleteI read about these in the Guardian a while ago and couldn't believe they were called that! Apparently they are not any more venomous than other hornets but they can inject more venom per sting. Also they will attack as a group if their nest is threatened and that would not be a good thing! I just read an article online now, and in Japan where they originate, the honey bees (which they attack and eat, and also destroy colonies of) have developed a defence called a 'bee ball'-this is from the article- 'When a hornet enters a Japanese honeybee nest, the bees gather around the wasp and trap it. They vibrate their flight muscles, raising the temperature and the carbon dioxide level in the ball. The bees can withstand these harsh conditions, but the wasp is effectively suffocated and cooked.'
ReplyDeleteSadly European honey bees didn't evolve with the giant hornets so have no idea that this is a possibility. I hope you don't see any for real. If you do, stay away!
Below is the link, it is from the Natural History Museum.
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/are-murder-hornets-really-as-scary-as-they-sound.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZpwB9MpgUQ-yVOt28ep7WUaqS2SxRVAHmFEbD6NqXI4YOUFbxl7Hh2hoCnvMQAvD_BwE
That didn't work sorry!
ReplyDelete