My Blog List

Thursday, December 17, 2020

two old bags, man in safety suit

This is my favorite little bag, from  Greenwich market . I have been meaning to duplicate it , such a clever little bag for treats , favors, or treasures. At the moment it is holding a wad of tissue paper.

Made of kid leather face, hat and feet , bag body of  white silk  on the inside  and black silk  on the outside. 




Drawstring ribbon closes it, tiny hand stitching holds it all together.

He sits well.



This is another bag that I have been meaning to duplicate, I got it in Venice years ago at the women's prison shop. Supporting their industry. Most are in prison for crimes like -being "disagreeable" or for nicking a tomato. The prison is across the canal on the Giudecca. A grim , dark building , ancient of course ,where they have "housed" women since 1545.  I tried to go in but was halted by the Polizia. One woman waved to me from the middle floor with a pink toilet brush shoved in between bars. 



Simple design, lined, with a snap inside and long "rabbit ears" to knot  it closed. I bought it with someone in mind but failed to give it to her, she disappeared so...guess it is mine now. It cost 50 euro, which is a lot really, and the woman who made it probably got 3. Three euro , I suppose , is better than a poke in the eye. 

 





Either he is getting ready to go to the grocery store or he is going up into the attic. The wiring is funky , one room is cut off, no lights,  so Dennis, Mr. fix -it, has been trying to track that down for 8 months.  "Getting close...getting close".



 

10 comments:

  1. You gotta admire someone who repairs their own wiring. I'd call in a professional!

    Love the bags. I wonder how Italy can afford to imprison people for such minor crimes?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult for a gy who can DIY fix nearly everything , to call in the professionals. "I can do that" , it is a help and a curse. Women aren't "people" so it is easy to toss them in the slammer.

      Delete
  2. Such lovely bags. Truly. Heartbreaking to think of women being imprisoned like that. I met a woman who was a guard at a women's prison once and asked her what most of the women were in for. She said that mostly it was because they didn't report their boyfriends or husbands for drug offenses. I found that incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is maddening- women are treated dismally still. The prison system is also the most ridiculously cruel money maker in this nation. I thought that you could whip out a few bags like these in an afternoon.

      Delete
  3. Wish I knew how to do my own wiring. Not, I think, a good idea for me! I love the bags, especially the first one. There are a few people around here I wish they'd imprison for being disagreeable! And it's a lot more than for nicking a tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is no justice under the sun- Maybe that is why concepts like "heaven and Hell" were contrived.

      Delete
  4. Good bags. Dennis looks ready to go into space, so the attic or the shops should be no problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should recognize the clown bag- You bought it for me!!! Eight pounds, I think it was! Remember? That was a fun day!

      Delete
  5. I love fix-it guys. unfortunately, I did not marry one. and clever little bags.

    ReplyDelete