My Blog List

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

merry soap, mud babies


In the tub this morning with a cup of tea , me soaking in hot suds,  observing used scraps of soap in the dish . They  looked remarkably like a  potential nativity.

Away in the manger go the soap bits,  with found bottle cap , found playing card, walnut that was left on the deck by the squirrel. Oh Holy Night. Joseph is  poppy seed scrap, because he was an old guy and likely had a few skin tags I am guessing, ( experience) . Mary is a well used Lush bar of Sultana soap with a real sultana imbedded in her head. (  my fave), baby Jesus is an even more used ,of the same.

Inspired by Steve's post about minimal nativity scenes and  Sarah's awesome scenes , Fresca's kitchen nativity, everything now looks like  manger potential. I have  lined up the garlic cloves on the kitchen sill, baby Jesus , a stem,  LO and BEHOLD, the angel on high is the outer white transparent skin barely clinging to a dried clove, it totally works- ethereal. I have lined up the bottles of condiments in the fridge, baby Jesus a withered grape wrapped in ham slices of swaddling, the angel-  a slice of Brie. Angels are French, as everyone knows.

I read  a blog long ago of a woman taking care of her mother who had dementia. Her mother became  highly creative, after dementia set in, juxtaposing found  odd bits , nesting them,  organizing  intuitive compositions of  complimentary colors  -All  works of art!  The daughter fenced her yard securely , which was about an  acre  or so, allowing her mother to roam freely,  to find things, to put them in order, to create. Everywhere her mother had been-  kitchen, toilet, bedroom, yard, barn, shed- she left behind an assemblage. And that is such  a lovely thing.

-0-


The mud babies are fluffy for winter. If I threw a few seeds at the window I am sure that they would sprout.  Bringing the forest floor to the deck door- finger painting with mud- it is art, everything is. 




 

13 comments:

  1. The soap nativity is also great! And the mud babies. Still around I am glad to see. I love the story about the lady with dementia and how her daughter cared for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. discovering that anything can be a nativity scene- maybe not minimal but close enough. The mud babies are proud of their work, i will not wash it off until spring, then new babies will be born and maybe they will come around. If all goes well, maybe you will too!

      Delete
  2. Before I read the first word of your post, I knew that was a nativity scene. A different one to be sure but it was clear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unmistakable pattern I suppose. No need to spend any cash on a nativity set.

      Delete
  3. It is Wednesday early...Happy Birthday...Wishing you health and a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Just another Wednesday- going to the post office , grocery , out in the pouring rain. Another year older! Cheers!

      Delete
  4. My brain does not work in this minimalist way. It just doesn't. I feel like I am not one of the cool kids. Sigh.
    I wonder what I'll be like when the dementia takes over. Probably horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if you do even have a glimpse of dementia i wish you a fenced acre of land in which to roam, Chickens, cats and children following your delightful self.

      Delete
  5. Ha! It DOES seem like a psychiatric issue, to see nativity scenes in everything. LOL! Having said that, I love your soap-chip nativity. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. objects are not what they appear to be, like Dali- who did not paint the dream, he painted what was behind the dream.

      Delete
  6. If I ever have to suffer dementia I hope it's that one. wandering around an acre making art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, I would love fenced acreage, a shed and a barn and enough bits and pieces in the field to arrange. Best idea for dementia!

      Delete
  7. You are easily entertained, and a good thing in these days of staying at home. And Happy Birthday young lady!

    ReplyDelete