My Blog List

Sunday, December 20, 2020

Large pancake


The dutch baby that Dennis made with almond flour, no sugar or sweetener, eggy , creamy and buttery.

I would say it is a beautiful success! One of his favorite things to make for breakfast before diabetes, served with strawberries and syrup. Using almond flour, makes it more dense as well as heavy cream instead of milk, Very rich, bland just on its own, but a good base for savory veg. 



Dutch babies were first made in Seattle 1942, a take off on German Pfannkuchen, the "inventor " owned the cafe on Columbia, Manca's. He did not pronounce Deutsch correctly so it was "Dutch". 

1/2 cup butter

6 eggs

1 1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 cup milk

put butter in cast iron pan/skillet- put in oven @ 425 degrees, mix batter, blend eggs at high speed for 1 minute.Gradually add milk, slowly add flour add a pinch of saltMix for 30 seconds. Pour batter into hot butter and bake for 20=25 minutes. Easy peasey. Most recipes ask for added sugar.


Manca's opened in the 20's,  long gone now.  A Huge Dutch baby with a mountain of berries and cream cost 90 cents in the 40's and could feed the entire family. But , of course, that was when a dollar was a dollar and dime was a dime. 



Beware of the waffles. 
Don't let the waiters scare you.


Just up the street from the cafe was Alaska Outfitters, last stop north to get supplies. This was my Dad's favorite shop-. We drove from Wyoming to Seattle just so he could get proper equipment, until my uncle opened a sporting goods store in Denver, which was only a four hour drive on a good day.



 

14 comments:

  1. That looks soooo good!
    I'm thinking with applesauce...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say, I LOVE the history too!
      I like researching that stuff myself, and it's so fun when other people present their findings...
      Show and Tell!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of a "Dutch baby," but it looks yummy! Love the old pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a good base for when you need a quick dinner or desert. This one is heavier having used cream instead of milk and almond flour instead of white flour. but good none the less.

      Delete
  3. My home town of Akron, Ohio is built on hills very like that hill. For a couple of years I drove Laura downtown daily for doctor appointments, and smiled to see nothing had changed. All the hills retained the admonition Curb your Wheels! along the parking curb. I.E., turn your tires in toward the curb. Then, in your emergency brake failed, the curb still would stop the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering if I can ever eat pancakes or french toast again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have dutch babies without anything on them that is sweet or sticky! Cinnamon, a bit of stevia. pretty good!

      Delete
  5. I might just have to make and eat a Dutch baby - this version anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very quick and easy- nice way to eat a bunch of eggs.

      Delete
  6. My son-in-law is "pre-diabetic" so I am trying to come up with healthier things to feed him. This sounds good. Like Fresca, I wonder if unsweetened applesauce might work with it. Your comment about using as a base for savory veg is intriguing. What do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chives and any herb that is likable , stir fried julienne green beans, with
      slivered almonds and mushrooms, diabetic safe veg. Apples of any sort are not great for diabetic, Strawberries and blueberries are better.

      Delete
  7. That's when cities and towns really were more than strip malls. Nostalgia.... the Dutch baby looks delish!

    ReplyDelete