My Blog List

Thursday, December 24, 2020

brown plaid shirt

Steve's blog this morning with his brown plaid shirt reminded me how much I LOVED brown plaid shirts  back in the olden days, here is proof! Dressed up for Christmas, living in San Diego with my girlfriend, four dogs and nine puppies, one canary and one cat, all rescues.  At the time, I worked in a photo shop and she worked on a horse ranch outside of San Diego, we spent all of our money on dog food and rent, I was  a pro at pinching groceries- when I got a better job and enough money saved to send them payment for the groceries , I did so , not wanting that karma following me around, That was before food stamps or food banks. Anyway,  we were pretty boney but my skills kept us alive. Some days we would only have a baked potato divided into thirds, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ahhh those were the days.

This is the photo I seem to post every Christmas- Me terrified of the wild cigarette smoking drunk Wyoming Santa, The photo below is of my parents and I going out for Christmas eve in Mission 
Texas-  we crossed the border to Mexico and ate baby goat with a mountain of peppers. My parents retired leaving harsh Wyoming for warmth and predictable weather, bought a couple of places in south Texas- I visited a few times a year.  My favorite people in my least favorite state.



 Find joy where you may. I find joy in this wooly pig, my spirit animal and the Christmas cookies that a neighbor brought over. None for Dennis. He would die so I get them all to myself this year, some are fancy!  Have a fancy holiday, eat all of the  cookies, mince pies and puddings. Once a year sugar rush.



 

16 comments:

  1. Wooly pig?

    . . . WOOLY PIG???

    How did I not know this animals exists???
    You have redeemed 2020 for me, Linda Sue, by informing me.

    I love your Xmas round up photos---may I say, in the photo with your folks, you positively glow?
    How wonderful, your parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this not the grandest pig in all of the kingdom? Sure do miss my parents, sure do NOT miss Texas!

      Delete
  2. P.S. Love your karmic korrection.
    Similarly, I stole a book from the Denver Public Library when I was sixteen, (a book about T E Lawrence! I'd seen "Lawrence of Arabia"), and thirty-some years later, I sent them a check for it.

    They didn't respond directly, but ever since then I've received Friends of the DPL mailings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, that is a good steal, I stole steaks and carrots mostly.

      Delete
  3. You gorgeous, stylish babe! You could have given classes in how to wear a brown plaid shirt! You're the brightest, most cheerful thing I've seen all day. Have a very merry...whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank's Mary brown plaid shirts ROCK! Tinsel hair is what's happening!
      You have a merry thing too.

      Delete
  4. What could be better than a woolly pig? Happy Birthday to you. My spouse also forgot my birthday this year. We're all unstuck in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose soon we will forget everything, it happens and is of little consequence in the long run. Wooly pig, what a prize animal, no?

      Delete
  5. you have better karma than me. I shoplifted a fabric remnant once because I fell in love with it but didn't have the $5 or $6 they wanted for it (back them $5 was a lot!). I made a little shrug thing out of it but felt so guilty I could never wear it. also borrowed a couple of out of print books on glass making and glass working from the library that never got returned. still have those and that I can rectify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that those things gone missing did not make a dent. As with the groceries, it was nothing to the store but it was everything to me, I thanked them for not catching me, too. We were very hungry.

      Delete
  6. I love your brown plaid shirt. It goes well with mistletoe :)
    And I remember tinsel! (and what a pain in the ass it was to get it all off the tree - you wear it well, though!) Nice memories, and good on you for paying for pinched groceries, rare I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown plaid, a hip happening fashion to be sure...hair tinsel always chic. If I had not paid for the groceries when I could I would have been haunted for the rest of my life. Must set things right, you know.

      Delete
  7. My sister lived with me for a few years, when she was 17 and ran away from home. We were dirt poor and scratching. We counted three colors as a meal. Like corn and beans and beets. Have a lovely day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corn, beans and beets sounds like a FEAST! We would have been well pleased with that.

      Delete
  8. I'm doing really well on eating the Christmas cookies! I hope you had a wonderful holiday -- and keep enjoying the in-between time. Less than a week till 2020 ends!

    ReplyDelete