My Blog List

Monday, December 28, 2020

a Ghost, a garden, a journal entry


We are minding our own business, watching Netflix, suddenly , clear as a bell, from the corner where Julio used to live, a cockatiel whistled a tune- I whistled back thinking that maybe a cockatiel got loose during christmas , as ours did one year. There was no reply nor fluttering of wings. Dennis got his industrial flashlight out to go check the roof and the chimney. I was pretty sure it was the ghost of Julio or Picachu, or any number of birds that have lived and died in this house.  Something really special- for sure a ghost!

Dennis came back in ,shaking his head "nope" no cockatiel on the roof...When he sat down again he noticed his phone glowing. He installed an ap of animal sounds to frighten the grand children with lion roars., last summer. Somehow it landed on a cockatiel whistling and turned itself on. 

 

This is the garden I got him for Christmas- it has only been four days and already there is a dot of lettuce- looks promising. So, as you can see, our house is blasting with grow lights. Dark days do not stand a chance. 

This morning I added a couple of paintings to my covid journal. I never know what will come out of the  brush, but I do not question. They amuse me- The closing of the day- which is really Dawn because these animals prefer the nightshift- headed back to their cottage for a cup of tea and a snooze.
After two and a half weeks my gift to Erik finally arrived on boxing day- From here to Portland is only a six hour journey when traffic is good. I looked up the "WHY!" The post office has been dysfunctional since  Dejoy did the Orange blob's bidding to sabotage mail in voting, closing down several stations, slowing the post, not allowing overtime-plus over 19,000 postal workers are out with covid. I am glad that the parcel arrived at all especially since there was $$$ in it. 

On to another action packed day- laundry, crackers and Christmas cheese, Maybe start making Valentines for the homeless as I did last year, That was great! They were so happy to get something, valentine with a five dollar bill and some chocolates. This year, however, there are so many more. A community, the city is helping them somewhat but most donation are coming from just us, you and me. 

 

4 comments:

  1. As I was reading this I was thinking that a cockatiel had come to live with you. Oh well.
    Love your new journal paintings.
    I wonder if the post office can regain some of its abilities after Biden steps in. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see your new book evolving!

    I've had two cockatiels in my life--I know just their sound.
    Though one had bird PTSD --he had been found walking down the street and given to me---he used to shriek in a horrible way. But also made that adorable chipper sound too.

    Your neighborhood is beautiful (photos in next post)--thanks for sharing.


    ReplyDelete
  3. That's VERY funny about the cockatiel! And I love that you make valentines for the homeless. That's really thoughtful.

    Oh, you asked if Rick and I have two houses. Yes. His and Mine. We have been together 24 years but aren't married and both appreciate our own space. We've both often said if we lived in the same house we probably wouldn't be together. We did make it pretty well at the cottage up north this summer but that's because the weather was good and we could get out to swim or he'd ride or I'd walk and there was the porch to paint on! The "plan" is when I'm older I'll move into the other side of the duplex he owns. Then we'll still have our own space -- but closer!

    ReplyDelete