My Blog List

Monday, June 11, 2018

crazy cushion , too many figs



I rescued a felted cushion that I had made a few years ago, sold at a weaver's
 guild event,and found  again in a charity shop, sun damaged and dirty, went to the studio and gathered bits of felt from other projects. Needle felted them on to the weary cushion and POW! Crazy Cushion! Glad to be able to do something other than moan about neck not healing as fast as I would like, (It has only been 83 days since , takes about a year ) I am a big baby about this...

Anyway-
The peonies have opened to the max, so fragrant I want to eat them.


along with this little pot of honey, a wedding favor from the wedding I could not attend. Both kids look like, well, KIDS. So young! Both already have their PHDs in chemistry from Yale. 
Gobsmacked!- They just got born, how does this happen?

Instead of a wedding dance they played  a game of badminton - The bride made fresh lavender soap for all guests. The fresh sweet fragrance  has also filled this house with  what it must smell like to fall on your face in the garden. 
The favors were brought back to me from Connecticut, with, "sorry you could not have been here". 
Sorry, too, my little kids...


My friend Fritz had too many figs, he gave me  this over sized bag of the most delicious figs ever, I tucked in, I am sorry again. 
You can imagine.
I am a sorry soul this day!


Back in the day Long Long ago, I would buy a necklace of figs, buy an envelope of chick peas and board a smelly, crowded  bus  to go father down into the dessert of Morocco.


"Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you... You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”
—Anthony Bourdain

My travels there were not about comfort, and my heart did break more than a couple of times,
I was forever shock- changed, much for the better!
All I left behind was a friend I had made and an ear ring for him to wear in his left ear, I wore the other in my right .
I lost that ear ring somewhere along the line, Feels like a betrayal, and I can not even remember his name, but the bright memory stays and is one of my many happy thoughts when the world looks grim. And GRIM it is!
Crazy Cushions for everyone! 
Happy memories!
There are more to make- as soon as my damn neck sorts itself out.
I am getting stirred and shaken, impatient.

10 comments:

  1. I just watched the Parts Unknown episode about Tangier yesterday. It was haunting.
    Your cushions are amazing. Your life has been amazing. Still is, just in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, sorry, I answered you in comment rather than reply, but there it is.

      Delete
  2. Keep healing. It's so hard to be patient with slow repair when you can remember bouncing back in a day or two when your bod wasn't so responsible. Your cushion repair is outstanding! I still have my custom made Linda Sue cushion-much loved but kept out of the sun. A treasure! Jealous of your figs. And badminton is a fun choice for a wedding dance. Glad they sent back favors for you. Yes, the world is dimmer and grimmer without Bourdain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The figs are way too good- be glad you do not have any! Weddings can be so by the book predictable, it is good to step out and do more of what is true to the union- and really what is marriage if not a good game of badminton?

      Delete
  3. You can see , now, the weight behind his eyes can you not? I saw it long ago but denied it, who does not love this man? Thank you , Mary, the cushions are so much fun to stab enthusiastically, cathartic- saves me from my usually bitch fest. Saves my friends and family...somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The email this week had a note and picture from a millennial who found my handwoven shirt in a thrift shop. It jumped right on him and looks great. Made my day! So does your description of the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gratifying!! A hand woven anything amazes me, the left behind table runners and bits that I sometimes find in charity shops make the trip and rummaging worthwhile. Weavers ROCK!!

      Delete
  5. wish I had traveled more when I was young but no money, no confidence in striking out by myself, and then kids! love your pillows and how strange to come across your own in a thrift shop. my little fig tree had one green fig on it before I left and it was gone when I got back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have any money when I traveled but it was incredibly cheap, 50 cents a day cheap. Slept on the beach a lot, and in closets, but didn't matter, it was adventure. I hope some critter enjoyed your one little fig!

      Delete
  6. I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete