My Blog List

Friday, October 2, 2026

do you prefer cleared surfaces, can you hear me?

Put your house in order, make surfaces, clear drawers and closets get rid of things. Great advice for the coming months when cabin fever can undo the best of us.  Advice not taken here, however, and off I go to the thrift store bringing back a couple of things but mostly leaving stuff on the shelves. Not because it is not great, mind you, but because I must change my habit. Some things are useful- some are just too good to leave in the shop. I don't knit but had to have this exquisite merino hand dyed yarn, the colors, the softness, the fine,even  spin. Pretty sure i will find a use for this yarn even though it may be unconventional.  I may just hug it, it feels delicious. 

Generally I avoid the clear glass section. But there sat a cut crystal celery dish gathering prisms, shooting them all around. Hit my eye and landed in my basket. Jumped right in along with a tea strainer, silver plated at one time in its life , now worn thin.

The new fence has not detoured the animals, the deer are still in the yard , the raccoons  using it for their playground. The issue is -by a tree nearby the raccoons have started a latrine. Easy enough to clean up but the neighbor is fraught about it and was quoted by the city a $3,000.00 clean up. The two mothers with their children came this morning harmoniously- no  mature males...The neighbor, out on her deck ,taking photographic "evidence" of raccoons on our deck. So...I am expecting to get reported, fined, sent out to clean up after the raccoons and making the neighbor a happier person. 

She is the twin sister of our state senator so I am sure that  her photographic "evidence" will land squarely on my bank account- another reason to NOT live in a neighborhood of humans.  Still a small price to pay for the joy I get from my little family, and not nearly close to the price of having a dog  or a cat or a bag full of hamsters. 

We received a text from grandson in the morning asking us to meet him and his grandma at a cafe in Fairhaven at 5:30. We were on time but they were a no show.



-turns out that the text was from September 6th, and somehow got sent  this morning, Grandson in Seattle getting set up for Uni, Grandma ensconced in her house by the lake...Weird. We didn't take time to have a bite to eat , not our favorite cafe though it looks charming.  I was one of the original staff, with my friends,  when it first  launched nearly 41 years ago- of course it has changed , not for the better. 

It was a pleasant  little wander through Autumnal colors at dusk,  the changes in the area are startling, especially  when one has not wandered there for  a while. It is  geared more for tourism now than  for folks who live here, exorbitant rents, shops struggling.  No hardware store, no post office, nothing that sustains a community, just fluff.  All of the reasons that we initially moved from the Beach   to town  are no longer applicable. We sold our cabin on the beach , there is no going back, not that we would anyway.



That is that- I won't even bother mentioning national news, what is the point, we all are sorely aware...

I will ,however, address  a more local , pressing problem, hearing loss , and the problems surfacing as a consequence. Problematic for those suffering loss also problematic  for those not quite there yet.  Relationship with the world limits capacity to understand, somewhat isolates the sufferer and contributes too much to misunderstanding, mishearing, or hearing not at all- nodding as though engaged . Dennis got his "aids" at cost co. They only work well when he is plugged into blue tooth on his phone , so If I phone him he can hear me. I encourage him to go to a specialist audiologist but considering  his devotion to Cost Co that  suggestion seems to be an affront. Anyway, when people suffer loss of hearing the tendency to blame the world around them - "not  speaking loud enough" - "mumbling" -  results in getting mad at the world of people talking in a normal manner because  THEY can't hear them. Frustrating for everyone. Fix your problem- I say, reckon with  loss and limitation, there is help available. It is always something, mobility issues, hearing loss , vision difficulty, on goes the list. The difference being that if one is going blind, or has compromised mobility , there is no blaming the world and demanding that it step up to brighten lights and offer clear paths - Help and gadgets are there to aid. That is my rant of the day. And Yes, it costs a  BIG dollar but that is the way of the USA. This is where we live. 

Would rather be with Roy riding  under western skies on my cayuse.


 A fence , nicely made but totally unsuited for purpose.


 Sassy walker, from a bin. Raccoons will soon slack off in winter months going into semi hibernation, the deck will no longer provide. 

See ya! Wishing you well, unplug from ALL national/world news for a few days, gather your wits. Go for a wander, find a red leaf!

 Green square.

 


 
 

 

20 comments:

  1. It was fun to listen to Roy Rogers singing that song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make you want to don your cowboy undies and ride away!!

      Delete
  2. Wait! Am I to understand that the woman who put up the fence now has her knickers in a twist over the raccoons pooping by a tree? Do I have that right? Which senator, Murray or Cantwell? As someone with diminished hearing from years of airplane engines I can tell you it is hard to admit the loss but things are a hell of a lot better when one does and gets and uses aids, not perfect, but they do help. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senator Murray. We have lived here for 39 years, they have lived here for longer, I have yet to meet her! But yes, the upset is over the raccoon latrine by a tree- people do fret...must be their thang! There are so many contributing factors to hearing loss, OTC pills like tylenol or advil as well as Oxys, and some chemo drugs, There is quite a list- also airplane engines- any overly loud noises- rock bands- ear buds- loads of contributors. Aids are not perfect- hearing loss is organic in that it changes and should be assessed frequently , as I do with my loss of vision. Once a sense has been compromised or lost there are no perfect remedies- aids /glasses/ magnifiers can be somewhat helpful. I know that hearing aids are problematic and take some major adjusting to. I tried out some of curiosity and it was so awful! I could hear the dust yelling at me.

      Delete
  3. Now that my cataracts are gone, the next thing on my "to do" list is to investigate hearing aids but I must confess that I'm procrastinating about it. But I'm sure that push will come to shove at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hearing loss is prevalent it seems. Might be our environment, what we grew up in , NOISE. - or could be that we have passed our shelf life and should be dead by now...whatever- there are devices that help.

      Delete
  4. The yarn is so pretty! I loved cleared surfaces and used to have them, now I have clutter everywhere and I love that too, but dusting used to be so much easier when I didn't have to move it all and thenput it back. Is the racoon latrine tree on your property? Her property? Council property? I need to go back to the doctor who did my cataracts, my right eye isn't seeing properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is not on our property. That is distressing that your cataract lens is behaving badly. I have heard of that happening and that it may need a slight adjustment, which is heartening. Especially since the surgery can not be done a second time. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. I'm here to tell you that we could not get our Costco aids to work very well. Sad but true. Have we moved on to another level? No we have not. Should we? Yes we should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving on to a specialist is the thing. hearing loss is not like eye sight but they do both need specialists. When I went with Dennis, I tried their test with audiologist @ Cost Co. Hooked up and there I sat while she fiddled around and then said - OMG you are profoundly deaf! She forgot to turn the beep beep machine on...just sayin;

      Delete
  6. I want to cuddle that yarn. It's fantastic. I stay out of thrift stores and now garage and estate sales. I just have to let go of things. Why would you be responsible for the neighbor's tree? You may care for the raccoons but I suspect they don't know whose tree is whose and might have latrines all over town! She's perfectly capable of putting down critter deterrent stuff herself. And three grand? I've heard nothing good about Costco hearing aids. I do have good things to say about their glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Jeanie- the yarn is so cuddle worthy, it feels like it is still alive and so soft that I could eat it. If I need a comfort fix , I just have to give it a squeeze. Since I don't knit, maybe that will be its purpose.I have cleaned up latrines in our yard, a couple of times. No big deal . The internet makes it sound horrendous and deadly - I am still ALIVE!! Didn't kill me! Latrines all over town is very likely.

      Delete
  7. What a ridiculous fence. Slats on the level, screen below. Is the racoon latrine under her tree? As for decluttering, surfaces are there to put stuff one...duh. Town looks cute, crosswalk into the alley. My hearing isn't the best, thank goodness for subtitles. Now if my grandkids wouldn't talk so fast I could understand better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the open weave wire at the bottom is to allow air to go through without pushing the fence over. AND for keeping rabbits out. I appreciate your perspective re: surfaces! They do have purpose- to hold items and books!

      Delete
  8. So, your neighbor is upset about wildlife poop!
    She needs to move someplace where wildlife do not roam and she can solve her own problem.
    Taking photos of your deck (raccoons feeding or not) is invasive. Can you block her view of the deck? Plant a tree? Put up an umbrella tilted in her direction to block her views? Game on!
    Deer jump fences, no problem. My neighbor found a deer in her fully enclosed swimming pool. The Fire and Police Dept. arrived to help the deer out of the pool.
    We live with our wildlife, and all is well.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the neighbor is worried that the raccoons and deer might move in without paying rent, not sure. We do live in a semi wooded area and the animals have been shoved into the streets. I feel honored when they show up in our yard. . But then I am from Wyoming where wildlife had room and people had respect for them. Dogs ran free- a different world to be sure.
      How terrifying for the swimming pool deer!

      Delete
  9. I do prefer cleared surfaces; however, I'm a bit of a slob and my preferences don't always occur in reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lose sight of clutter until I take a photo - then I realize that every surface is covered. It is disturbingly unsettling. Every now and then I get a box fill it with stuff and store it. It is mad!

      Delete
  10. Yes, I am a clear surfacer. I have a few things to give to the thrift store - the circle of stuff life.
    Sad about your neighbor, the anti-animaler. We are currently at peak rut season for elk, and Iove how they are "allowed" to take over.
    My 92-year-old father in law has wonderful hearing aids. Not sure where from, but I'm pretty sure not from Cost co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your father is lucky to have found the right audiologist. So many problems with hearing aids that I wonder if expectations are too high. Oh yes clear the path, clear the yard it is rutting season! We had a few in the yard a couple of years ago, Hooked up....

      Delete