My Blog List

Friday, September 25, 2026


 This morning I opened the door and winter smacked me right  in the face.

Rain has come and it is 49 degrees. Probably had too many cups of tea during the day. I have run out of biscuits because two cups of tea require at least six biscuits on a day like today.

Yesterday I had to go to the post office so naturally I stopped in at the thrift store. See that wooden hand holding an orange? That was part of my splendid purchase .

This tin  box was another. The top is divided like a picnic basket , with little knobs for opening. It is roomy , a practical storage tin for ALL of the biscuits I need as winter approaches. 

There were  six Matryoshka  dolls in a bag on the things-in-bags- wall. They came home with me as well as a collapsible vintage wire shopping basket, coolest portable carrier I have ever seen. In another bag on the wall hung this Mexican angel, made by Wixarika person in the Sierra Madres. Mexican art- either you love it or you don't. At the moment I am loving it - it seems to find me  -  jumps right into my hands! I have no control over these things.

This form of art is done with tiny beads and wax, The face is a  hard mache-ish  material. Chubby cheeks- having eaten too many clouds, probably. 

Marjolene is back at Mary's for a couple of months , she arrived on Tuesday  bringing  tulip bulbs from the Netherlands, chocolate and cheese. I gave her salmon. I love when she is here.  Weather having shifted into bloody cold all of a sudden- I will take one of my Norwegian sweaters to her- the chill doesn't stand a chance. Norwegian sweaters are armor.

Yesterday the flowers were still pumping out blossoms, today not so much. Interesting to watch them react. Cosmos turn upside down shedding the rain- the sunflowers toppled to the ground where they are not so exposed. The other flowers are just bobbing around like a dance party.







 A cosmo being held up by mint... Getting a face full of rain against it's will. 

 

I will wait until  after the freeze to do anything about the deck flowers. I scooted the fuchia baskets close to the house in a corner. Sometimes they come back if winter is not too wild. Leaving you with a few of Annie's installations on her land-

Giant clam shells lining the path-

enormous nest made of branches,  housing huge eggs-
driftwood-

 Going to curl up with yet another cuppa . Cosy.



 

 

21 comments:

  1. I do like Annie's yard, eclectic, especially the nest with eggs, If it's any consolation we got a lot of wind & rain here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a big fat weather thing going on in the Pacific, headed south but we are getting the side effects.

      Delete
  2. Annie's yard puts such ideas in my head, what would I do with that much space? Or even half that space? We'll never know. I LOVE the biscuit tin! But not the Angel, though her wings are very lovely. I think I might need an authentic Norwegian Sweater for next winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can lay hands on vintage norwegian goods, they are the best and wear like iron- worsted wool.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you hit GOLD at the thrift store! And I love all of Annie's installations, particularly the huge nest and eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too, that was in honor of her son getting married!

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever seen beads used in Mexican art. Interesting.
    It's so cool here this morning that I am wearing a cashmere sweater you sent me years ago! Thank you, darling Linda Sue! You have SUCH a good eye for thrifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in a cashmere sweater as well. so cosy- I need cashmere trousers! Glad you could put it to use. maybe i can find more (?) I mended (badly) the one I got at ragfinery for a few cents. It works.

      Delete
  5. I really love that giant nest, wonder how they made the eggs?
    You are a great thrifter, I think you must have an "artist's eye" to pick things out!
    The thick sweaters I wear are Norwegian, Icelandic and the Aran ( cream colored) Scottish ones - all equally warm and in constant use from now until it warms up again. Wool is warm even when wet . JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wool is god!
      The eggs are made with mache and some other substance, weather proofed- they are LARGE!! Very clever.

      Delete
  6. As always, you did well at the thrift shop. The beaded Mexican art is most unusual. I like anything done with beads.
    Annie's property looks similar to the DeCordova Museum sculpture park (Lincoln, MA). Her use of driftwood, branches and shells is amazing. The bright blue eggs sitting in the nest makes me smile. Annie is most creative and her landscape is outstanding. Her water views are to die for!
    We are getting gusty winds and light rain from the Northeaster. Our coastline is getting hammered by high tides. The erosion is again significant.
    Stay warm Linda Sue as 49 degrees F is a big drop in temperature.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erosion is not great for water front living, is it. There are many homes here that will soon be in the drink. This winter is supposed to be wet. So sayeth the weather gods.The temperature is just practice , a gently reminder to get out winter gear. Today the sun is shining , the flowers are happy. I am pretty sure that I will wait too long before I sort the deck , clear the pots, put the bulbs to bed.

      Delete
  7. Love love love the beaded angel. Love the giant nest. Might have to make one. This morning was almost cool, lasted about an hour. I took advantage. Now inching into the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I welcome the cold, just getting used to it. I have a drawer full of wool to wear and it is like wearing a hug!

      Delete
  8. Oh my! Now THESE are the best finds, especially that tin. I'd snatch that one in a minute and the angel. Your flowers are just stunning. It's chilling out here, too. Not ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psychological readiness is the thing , I have all of my winter woollies cleaned and hung- Bottles of vitamins in the cupboard- hot water bottles lined up like soldiers, flannel sheets washed and folded- that is as physically ready as One can be. Getting my attitude right is the challenge.

      Delete
  9. "Matryoshka dolls" - I was trying to remember the name of these recently for a math thing. I said "Russian dolls". Lame. No pics?
    Happy "winter"? 49 is chilly. We're still bottoming out in the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to take their picture. One is especially cute, from Japan. Weather has shifted- even when it is 59 degrees it feels colder than springtime 59 degrees. Today the sun is shining it is 59 degrees.

      Delete
  10. I love that angel! It must have taken many hours of work. You truly have the very best thrift shops.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, no complaints about thrifting up here.

      Delete
  11. Even in rain your flowers glow. That installation art is inspirational (i love the nest and those big hoops). As for Norwegian sweaters I got a lined one in Norway years ago. I swear it's bulletproof!

    ReplyDelete