A little over a yard long shelf, wooden figures cut into the wood by Fishboy, R.Clark. I would have that in my house if not for the price.
Another that I love is the crow in a wooden board- by Frank Frazee. His use of found bits intrigues me. He is in my old studio, the big one with no windows. I so miss the group of artists up there in the building that smelled of gull poos. I miss not having a place to go to be alone and to fool around with stuff.
The other artist has long been one of my faves, mostly because she is one of my favorite people. Her art is whimsy , with a touch of "dark". She is a skilled puppet master and doll maker, Christian Anne Smith .
Fishboy held my attention throughout the exhibit. His work makes me feel that there may be more to this life than the usual expectation.
"Pipe dreams"- looks like the art that I loved so much in "The House Of Dreams" , East Dulwich, my last rip to London. Blue apples and Big Leg Larry- part of the "'shelf" Big Leg Larry stole my heart. Dennis went to his 69th High School Reunion last week. It is getting whittled down to a modest and mostly unwell 15 people. Dennis, the fittest of the lot. Genetic longevity and clean living- he will outlive us all, I have stated this before.On my way out I bought a card that is so BELLINGHAM! You probably have to be familiar with the town to appreciated the colors and what they represent. Clever.
There was so much more to my day- after the art I went to Stella's , had a glorious lunch - from scratch lasagna and tea. We played with her papers and made a few collages to take to Annie's on the island for printing on, am not sure what that will involve . I have five more to make today, as well as packing for the trip. C-pap has to go with me, hassle! Other things must accompany the machine- distilled water in a bottle and surgical tape to tape my mouth shut, a clip to gather hair out of the way and maybe my pillow which has adapted to the hose. At least it is not an iron lung . So, for only two days and one night leaving home is more complex than just throwing on a pair of levis , a jacket with a toothbrush in the pocket and enough money to buy lunch.
On my way to Stella's I stopped at Underpants Jesus House, where they are setting up for the season.
I will take you there another time .Theresa with recycled creation( her yard is full)- she uses a lot of insulation foam and free bits from industrial salvage area. We chatted for about 30minutes, heard life story and general philosophy of this woman whom I have been curious about for YEARS!~ simpatico- great fun.
See y'all when I return from our adventure! The best sort with Stella!
Got a ferry to catch!Got a few collages to complete- what will become of this mess - I have no idea. Annie will surprise us!

















I'm great intrigued by two names in this post -- "Fishboy" and "Underpants Jesus House." Both promise untold mysteries! Enjoy your short getaway trip, with all your gear in tow. I must admit that your line "At least it is not an iron lung" made me laugh.
ReplyDeleteI fear that I will have to get up in the middle of the night to pull myself together. then I will be grumpy all the rest of the day and Annie and Stella will hate me. A trip is a trip no matter how brief.
DeleteWhat a great day and terrific exhibit. There was an awful lot of that art that I really liked! Your holiday at Annie's should be loads of fun. And I know what you mean about packing, even for a weekend. It's not what it used to be, now that we have equipment!
ReplyDeleteQuick trip is no longer a quick pack is it? Maybe I will sleep in my clothes and just have to pack my device in the morning. No one will care or notice if I show up looking like I have been living under a bridge.
DeleteBellingham is home to many creative and talented people. The exhibit looks great with lots of wonderful art.
ReplyDeleteGetting away for a few days sounds like fun.
I remember packing for our first trip with a baby. We only went to Maine to a few days, and all the baby gear filled up the car. My husband was shocked.
We've come full circle! At least we do not fill the entire car. That said, the backpack no longer works. Such is life....
Susan
It is difficult to remember everything- soap, toothbrush, towel, cloth, water for the device, one change of clothing- weather could be cold so that is a big deal. I have jackets for seasons but not an all weather one. The ferry can be frigid. Oh yes, and traveling with a baby was ridiculous! I remember that!
DeleteI'm having an anxiety attack this very second about a three day trip I'll be taking early next month to St. George Island with my nursing school loves. I've done this at least four times before and I know it's always the most precious thing and I love it and I love them and yet...
ReplyDeleteHow I wish I was not like this. It's really horrible.
i admire you so much for your adventuresome spirit, your true desire to see, to wander, to take in, to be a bright light wherever you go.
If wishes were horses , right. What is this life for ? I guess it is whatever you make it. You will have a grand time, -getting ready for a trip always presents a bit of anxiety.
DeleteFun day. I love the hand throwing the paper airplane and the UFO beneath it.
ReplyDeleteAnd the very pretty girl kitty. You could tame her.
DeleteThat was one of my faves as well. The entire exibit was so much fun. Playful art!
DeleteNice exhibit. Whimsy with a touch of dark - what a fun combination!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure wildcat appreciates the food if not the domesticity. Have fun on the island!
" Underpants Jesus House", omg I can't wait.
I am back now- kitty has not been around since Dennis left out a bowl of beef fat, she ate all of it...
DeleteYou report living such a fun life - it reads (and looks in the photos) so bright and colourful. Tou seek interest and share it - I love the art... missed an art trail in Marlborough last weekend (we had gone south again) and neighbour showed me a most glorious piece that she bought. Jealous.
ReplyDeleteMissing special art that you would have surely enjoyed is like missing desert.
Deleteps Enjoy your adventure on the island.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am back now, it was the BEST trip to the island and the BEST company and surroundings . Heaven!
Delete