My Blog List

Saturday, August 15, 2026

Joe's garden, a massive onion, crowded flowers and a tragedy.

The cucumbers that Dennis planted are  ready all at once! I needed an onion to make cucumber salad. Joe's has the best produce, all of it grown there, organic except for the berries he gets from a farm  out in the county. Winter veg starts are available , peaches are abundant and ripe,  Pear and apple and all of the garden vegetables- plump and fresh from the earth.



I bought a fine  onion. 


Dahlias in a bouquet of sunflowers , lobelia, yarrow,zinnea, frosted explosion grass, pink and white statice. 

Flowers from the deck as well as flowers from Joe's, looks like  a motel six lobby. I need to spread them out, I think- more is not better. The explosion grass is gorgeous. Next year I may grow a basket full, if weather permits.


 

Crowded !

I cooked a bit of salmon to have with the cucumber salad , saved the skin for the raccoon family. They came to the deck as usual BUT something terrible has happened to one of the babies!

 Surely he will die.  I called Game and wildlife but it is too late in the day. I sent an email with attached photo. I am pretty sure it is a lost cause. Singling out this one baby from family could be impossible, the trauma may damage him further. Damn!

Stop reading NOW if you are  sensitive, it is difficult  to handle  this baby's  terrible injury. Looks like it may have gotten caught in a trap. Life threatening for sure. 

 

 

-0- 

 

 

 

 



Game and Wildlife got back to me but there is nothing they can do other than tell me to let nature take its course. (shit) I called the wildlife rehabilitation center as well but they are closed. They may get back to me someday. Since they are mostly volunteer it is not likely. 

Looking autumnal, from my windshield on the way home from Joes. 

Sorry to leave on such a bummer note. 

Here is a tea tin that sings "tea for two" -  found in the thrift shop- that should cheers us up, plus 100 yards of red satin ribbon .  


 

 

  

 


 

19 comments:

  1. I am so sorry the racoon got caught in a trap😢😢, knowing there is nothing you can do is so hard. That's a huge onion! I love all the flowers and Joe's veggie display is a joy to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking into JOE'S is remedy for everything wrong with this world. The fresh fragrance of flowers, strawberries, greens and plump onions , sets one's mood into a relaxed and comfortable state. A counter top jammed with huddled sweet peas Is overwhelmingly nostalgic and other worldly . They are fragile and don't last very long, like lilac blossoms but the scent , I am sure, lodges somewhere in our ollfaction memory and brings us peace when reignited. Sweet peas are a favorite! Fragility makes it difficult to fill a vase and have them last longer than two days.

      Delete
  2. Poor little raccoon. It must have broken your tender heart to see him like that. I think it might heal OK, I have seen a rabbit with a front leg stump healed over who managed fine. It's so sad to think of the pain he must have gone through and still is going through. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Jan, breaks a heart to be sure. Poor baby. The family crowded around him though, in a protective way, and that is encouraging. I suppose. Raccoons use their hands for everything- Missing one would be like a person losing an arm.

      Delete
  3. Poor, poor raccoon baby. One never knows. The kit may make it and overcome. I hope so. Hank and Rachel have a little family of raccoons in their back yard and the babies are now almost as big as mama. So far they have thrived. I can't remember- do you have wild cats in your area? Could that have possibly been the source of the wound? But yeah, probably a trap.
    That first onion glows like a jewel. A ruby of an onion. I wish we had a Joe's around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had been a cougar the raccoon would be no more. A quick snack! Mountain Lions generally go for Fawns, more bang for the buck. The wounded baby is so little, there may be a chance to heal though I am not counting on that. It is severe and exposed. Nature is a bitch sometimes... no little raccoon hospitals to be found.
      Oh Mary, you would swoon if you went to Joe's at this time of year. The abundance of chubby healthy fruit and veg would knock you right over! There really is not reason to own your own garden up here in the HAM. Unless, of course, It is for the pleasure of digging and growing and nursing the vegetables as you would your own children. There is that satisfaction.

      Delete
  4. Traps in urban/residential areas should be outlawed. I thought they were. I hope the wildlife center takes some action; they are known for doing great work.
    Joe's looks outstanding. Everything is fresh and locally grown. We have nothing like this. At best it is a mix of local, imported and GMO products.
    In my opinion, you cannot have to many flowers. Flowers in vases or flowers on the deck, the more the merrier. I sometimes move vases and pots around, just to change-up the views.
    100 yds. of satin ribbon is a good find. Today. it is sold at 15-25 yd. rolls. I like wrapping gifts and tying a satin ribbon around the box. I have a ribbon storage bin dedicated for gift giving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the ribbon, I have a little stock pile of various ribbons used through out the year. 100 yards will carry me through Christmas! The spool was $1.50!
      I will sort the flowers better today. It does them no justice to be wadded up in just a few vases, hither thither. Maybe three in a vase would suit them better as each one is a work of art in itself.
      It is so lush up here and the cool weather this summer has been great for growing things, Everything is juicy and plump!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous food, gorgeous flowers. So lucky to have Joe's. All gardens down here were done long ago, only okra left. But soon time for the fall gardens.

    Poor baby raccoon. Surely the rehabilitators could cut off the bone and sew up the stump end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOE'S garden is only five acres and began in 1888, changed hands three times but the gardening has been consistent, They use antique farming equipment because it is the best for small farms. sourcing it has been a challenge but the new owners are lads who know how to refurbish as well as garden organically. They work year round. I remember in the 80's , when Joe still lived and worked, he hired youngsters to weed and mulch, rake and hoe. Great summer job for a kid.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm so sorry about the baby. I hope it can be rehabilitated. We have a wild rehab place here but I suppose if one calls late in the day (which, of course, is always when you see it -- why is life like that?), then hopefully you will hear soon. And hopefully not too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wildlife people are probably correct.;let nature take its course. which does not sound promising but getting ahold of the injured kit might be an impossible task. The mother and the siblings are protective of their baby. Plus , if not on the deck , they are somewhere out there in the forest.
      survival might not be a thing for the injured baby- he is so little and vulnerable and the wound is devastating.

      Delete
  7. That does look like a trap injury. How horrible. Sometimes animals survive these things, but I imagine the odds are against it. It's good that it has you to help it find food, because that would probably be its biggest difficulty in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raccoons are adept, food is probably not much of a problem up here in the abundance zone. So much fruit falling unused by humans, and black/ blue./ straw berries and compost bins. Human population growth has hindered that somewhat. But, yes, difficulty arises when one little raccoon loses a limb, the most important one...They use their hands all of the time. It is very sad.

      Delete
  8. Oh, poor baby 'coon! They have such dextrous human-like hands, tragic to lose one, even if it were to miraculously heal over. Thanks for trying to help.
    Joe is a skilled gardener. The more I fail at it, the more I respect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe's garden started in late 1800's by another family, Joe bought it later, sold it to another family in the 80's. The soil is rich and nurtured! Organic compost, attention to every detail! using antique farm equipment because it is more personal and does a better job. I LOVE Joe's.

      Delete
  9. It seems like all of the cool stuff is in Bellingham. You have the great produce and the cool thrift shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty lucky, but it is expensive to live here.

      Delete
  10. I get so cross about traps that do that sort of injury - they are banned here and we use only kill-traps closed in special boxes that stop anything bigger than rats or stoats getting in.

    ReplyDelete